Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can somebody explain Tornado formation in Ireland to me?

• 23-08-2020 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

So I have a vague idea about US tornado's and how hooks/bows and stuff form, with powerful thunderstorms associated.

There was a few tornado's in Ireland this year, and if I recall correctly storm ellen came with a tornado advisory which is the first I've ever seen from met eireann.
    I was thinking that Atlantic storms seem to be quite different systems to Mid/Southern US states storms.

Ellen was unusually warm for a storm like this, which usually occur in Winter.
    Is it the same type of tornado formation or are are there more things at work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I don't recall Met Eireann giving a tornado warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Danno wrote: »
    I don't recall Met Eireann giving a tornado warning?

Bexause they didn't, it was ESTOFEX. That's the problem with social media, people half read things and associate them with a completely different source. Of course Met Éireann end up getting the blame, regardless.

Our tornados are not really true tornados but more landspouts, rotating columns of air formed in vigorous updrafts under more minor convective clouds. In the US (and many parts of Europe) the tornados are formed in rotating mesocyclones, formed from a much richer feed of temperature and moisture in quantities that we just don't get here.

Per area, the UK gets more reported "tornados/landspouts" than any other country in the world. Ireland gets around 20 a year, though others could form and not be witnessed. In general it is difficult to see landspouts forming on radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Bexause they didn't, it was ESTOFEX. That's the problem with social media, people half read things and associate them with a completely different source. Of course Met Éireann end up getting the blame, regardless.

I read it on this very weather forum. Doesn't matter if it was ME or not, it was still mentioned. I'm not really blaming ME.

Our tornados are not really true tornados but more landspouts, rotating columns of air formed in vigorous updrafts under more minor convective clouds. In the US (and many parts of Europe) the tornados are formed in rotating mesocyclones, formed from a much richer feed of temperature and moisture in quantities that we just don't get here.

Per area, the UK gets more reported "tornados/landspouts" than any other country in the world. Ireland gets around 20 a year, though others could form and not be witnessed. In general it is difficult to see landspouts forming on radar.

This is really interesting. Thanks for the explainer.

Advertisement