Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Adam..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

For those that don´t know about Black Adam..... this is the Spiel taken from wikipedia..

Black Adam is a fictional supervillain appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. Created by Otto Binder and C. C. Beck, the character is a archenemy of Shazam, also known as Captain Marvel, and the nemesis of the Marvel/Shazam Family. Black Adam first appeared as a one-time villain for the first issue of Fawcett Comics' The Marvel Family comic book (December 1945). However, Black Adam was revived as a recurring character after DC Comics first licensed and then acquired the Fawcett characters and began publishing Captain Marvel/Marvel Family stories under the title Shazam! in the 1970s.[1][2][3][4][5]

As originally depicted, Black Adam was a corrupted, ancient Egyptian predecessor of Captain Marvel, who fought his way to modern times to challenge the hero and his Marvel Family associates. Since the turn of the 21st century, however, Black Adam has been re-defined by DC Comics writers Jerry Ordway, Geoff Johns, and David S. Goyer as a corrupted antihero attempting to clear his name and reputation. Featured roles in such comic book series as Justice Society of America (JSA), Villains United, Infinite Crisis, and 52 have elevated the character to an unprecedented level of prominence in the overall universe of DC Comics characters.

In 2009, Black Adam was ranked as IGN's 16th Greatest Comic Book Villain of All Time.[6] Dwayne Johnson has been cast as Black Adam for an upcoming Black Adam feature film from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros..[7] Set in the DC Extended Universe film franchise, Black Adam is scheduled for release in December 2021.[8]

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A first glimpse at what Dwayne will look like, ahead of the panel today

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1296979799789903879

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope they play him as a straight up villain and not the Anti Hero version that Johns & Goyer turned him into.

However with the Rock as the lead I expect the Anti Hero version.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

All JSA will feature in this film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Black Adam has to sign on?

• Advertisement

"Hey you know how videogames release trailers without actually showing gameplay? Wish we could do something similar with movies"
    "Well funny you should say that. I was just playing Infamous on the PS3 and...."

At the start I was thinking it could be a new Scorpion King.
    And is that a hint at
    Eclipso?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope they play him as a straight up villain and not the Anti Hero version that Johns & Goyer turned him into.

However with the Rock as the lead I expect the Anti Hero version.

I could be getting actors mixed up but IIRC Johnson won't take a role unless he's a/the hero; as soon as I heard he was playing the role I assumed the character was going to be an anti-hero figure. It's a pity 'cos I don't have faith they'll thread the needle.

Aldis Hodge has signed on to play Hawkman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

CastorTroy wrote: »

"Hey you know how videogames release trailers without actually showing gameplay? Wish we could do something similar with movies"
    "Well funny you should say that. I was just playing Infamous on the PS3 and...."

At the start I was thinking it could be a new Scorpion King.
    And is that a hint at
    Eclipso?

Terrible teaser trailer :p

Sarah Shahi and Noah Centineo join

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sarah Shahi and Noah Centineo join
    Centineo was cast ages ago, he's playing Atom Smasher

Wonder if Sam Rockwell is reading that story thinking "why don't they just ask me?"

that great news...

edit... log time ago, but didn´t they try to introduce doctor fate in Smallville?...
    must google

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I had thought this was more or less filmed already?

I had thought this was more or less filmed already?

aparently not...

https://www.cbr.com/black-adam-producer-when-filming-begins/

Quintessa Swindell has been cast as Cyclone

Have to ask but why are so many redheaded characters played by black actors, especially when their hair colour's a defining feature? Redheads are a minority onscreen at this rate.
    Cyclone, Wally West, Mary Jane, Annie, Ariel, Jimmy Olsen.

Don't get me wrong, no problem with black actors getting the roles just strange it seems to be redhead characters and redheads have a reputation of being really white/pale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Have to ask but why are so many redheaded characters played by black actors, especially when their hair colour's a defining feature? Redheads are a minority onscreen at this rate.
    Cyclone, Wally West, Mary Jane, Annie, Ariel, Jimmy Olsen.

Don't get me wrong, no problem with black actors getting the roles just strange it seems to be redhead characters and redheads have a reputation of being really white/pale

One of the main reasons there are so many redheads on comics is because it was one of the easiest colours to produce, much easier than say brown.

Tbh I think it's just a coincidence, of the five you named Cyclone, Wally West, and Jimmy Olsen are side characters (I never knew Jimmy was a redhead in the comics) who few people care about. Mary-Jane was a bigger one and there was a bit more upset about that one but she's a side character in those films, more so than the Raimi ones and she's not technically Mary Jane, she's credited as Michelle on Homecoming and MJ in FFH. Ariel is pure coincidental, Disney decided to try it and it was the next live action remake.

Tbh I don't think there's any characteristic exclusive to being a redhead that these actors can't portray except maybe an insecurity developed from the constant slagging :D

So you're saying they wanted actors that have a soul? :pac:

• Advertisement

Some random news about Sarah Shahi's preparation for the Black Adam movie...

https://www.republicworld.com/entertainment-news/hollywood-news/black-adam-star-sarah-shahi-starts-research-for-dceu-film-starring-dwayne-johnson.html

and for people that don´t know this lady, i remember seeing her on Craig Fergusons show many moons ago... she was hilarious..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh. I was like "what do I know her from?", quickly clicking that it was from playing Shaw in the most excellent Person of Interest. Time for a re-watch really, probably feeling even more topical than it did when it first aired in ... *Googles* 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Huh. I was like "what do I know her from?", quickly clicking that it was from playing Shaw in the most excellent Person of Interest. Time for a re-watch really, probably feeling even more topical than it did when it first aired in ... *Googles* 2011.
    It's a great show. Starts out as a twist on a detective show - case of the week, Finch as the leadership/tech support kind of roles and Reese as the muscle, and slowly pivots into an exciting techo-thriller with a background discussion of the ethics of privacy and AI. Definitely very topical.

Pierce Brosnan to play DC Dr. Fate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Now releasing on July 29th 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Some random news about Sarah Shahi's preparation for the Black Adam movie...

Uh, mediocre actress who messes up everything she is in. She nearly killed Person of Interest for me.
    Only re-watched the whole series a few weeks ago. The moment she starts regularly appearing in season 3 it went downhill. She fortunately missed half season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sarah Shahi is a Goddess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So you're saying they wanted actors that have a soul? :pac:

As a PORH (Person Of Red Hair) I take.... no offence to that. But to add to your list, and the most egregious of red to black changes, is Triss from The Witcher. I can't forgive that one, because #TeamTriss.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I didn't expect the Rock to be playing a bad guy, so I was just assuming he was a new hero for DC as I have no prior knowledge of Black Adam. It seems to be advertised/pushed a bit too much, and way too soon with a 2022 release date.

I just can't see a super/antihero act like the Rock, and that's usually how he comes across in most of his roles. He's like Ryan Reynolds in that sense, in that you more or less know what to expect. I'll definitely be watching it, but won't be holding out hope for something special, like Shazam was. I also have no knowledge of any of the rest of the characters, so I'm going blind into this and that, at least, is exciting. Like everything else these days, I'll be avoiding everything but the initial reveal trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

bigar wrote: »
    Uh, mediocre actress who messes up everything she is in. She nearly killed Person of Interest for me.
    Only re-watched the whole series a few weeks ago. The moment she starts regularly appearing in season 3 it went downhill. She fortunately missed half season 4.
    Sarah Shahi is a Goddess.

I'd say the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I think Person of Interest was in the middle of changing pace when Shahi appeared, moving more and more towards an action-heavy scifi show as the duelling good and evil AIs plot ramped up and the Jim Caviezel as AI-backed Batman/Lassie plot-of-the-week stuff dried up to make room. I enjoyed the whole show start to finish, and I don't think Shahi did anything wrong in it. I thing bigar may have disliked the genre shift and pegged the blame on the new character a little unfairly. Or maybe (s)he just doesn't like Shahi as an actress. I've seen her in little other than PoI and Life, and other than being stunning she didn't stand out for me either way.

Anyway, back to Black Adam. I really hope The Rock finds an iconic role soon. He's good at what he does, but I just don't see that role for him, like Predator, Terminator, Conan, Commando, etc. are iconic films for Arnie. The Fast and Furious stuff is lucrative enough, I guess, but he's lost in an ensemble there. Movies like Doom, Rampage, Faster, Snitch, Walking Tall, Skyscraper, GI Joe, San Andreas, Hercules, Welcome to the Jungle, or Central Intelligence just aren't going to be remembered, I think.

• Advertisement

Has this started shooting yet? Im still a little unconvinced this will happen, especially with New Gods & The Trench canned only this week.

Advertisement