Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Covid laws were broken in Clifden?

• 22-08-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Since lockdown began the government have issued a whole sweeping range of guidelines and advisories but since the emergency legislation expired in May what actual laws are in existence?

While I understand that the guidelines are there for a reason and everyone has a responsibility to each other to stay safe, I'd really like to know what laws or statutes are in place to stop reckless behaviour. From what I can see, the answer is that the Guards are virtually powerless to enforce any of the guidelines. The Guards can only act within the law and I can't see any specific laws to back up the guidelines. There is simply no legislation to back them up.

For example, if I was a pub owner and decided to just open up my pub to the public again, didn't bother putting any safeguards in place, what power do the Guards have to shut me down. They can object to the licence again when it's due for renewal but only a judge can decide whether or not to grant it.

So if I'm missing specific legislation, will someone please point it out to me because in my opinion it doesn't really exist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Just human decency 'laws'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Since lockdown began the government have issued a whole sweeping range of guidelines and advisories but since the emergency legislation expired in May what actual laws are in existence?

While I understand that the guidelines are there for a reason and everyone has a responsibility to each other to stay safe, I'd really like to know what laws or statutes are in place to stop reckless behaviour. From what I can see, the answer is that the Guards are virtually powerless to enforce any of the guidelines. The Guards can only act within the law and I can't see any specific laws to back up the guidelines. There is simply no legislation to back them up.

For example, if I was a pub owner and decided to just open up my pub to the public again, didn't bother putting any safeguards in place, what power do the Guards have to shut me down. They can object to the licence again when it's due for renewal but only a judge can decide whether or not to grant it.

So if I'm missing specific legislation, will someone please point it out to me because in my opinion it doesn't really exist.

The 81 people exceeded the limit of 50, and they tried to pass it off as two gatherings, one of 45 and one of 36, divided by a partition, which is like you living in a kitchen, and me living in a sitting room, but claiming we are in separate accommodation because of the dividing wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Tables were also supposed to be limited to 6 people or something.
    Also, some of those who attended came from counties under lockdown, even Phil Hogan is dubious in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It was meant to be an elitest swingers party dubbed as a "golf gala".

Aul lads banging their balls into well worn dirty holes.

No masks nor nothin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

The 81 people exceeded the limit of 50, and they tried to pass it off as two gatherings, one of 45 and one of 36, divided by a partition, which is like you living in a kitchen, and me living in a sitting room, but claiming we are in separate accommodation because of the dividing wall.

But 50 people is only a guideline, it's not breaking the law. From what I can see, it's possible the organiser of the event might be in bother but there don't seem to be any laws surrounding any of the other breaches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Also, some of those who attended came from counties under lockdown, even Phil Hogan is dubious in this regard.

Yeah, Phil Hogan had been staying in Kildare until August the 5th or something, then went to Dublin where he was tested for Covid, and then returned to his native Kilkenny. He probably orchestrated it that way so he could go to Clifden, his way of escaping Kildare.

All true, but no laws were broken

All true, but no laws were broken

Well I think you could be fined up to 3k if you travelled outside your county? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Might be wise to ask the several thousand in Dublin currently protesting about wearing masks what laws are being broken

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I'd say they should have stopped serving at 11pm aswell? I heard reports the event went on until 4am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Was this golf event not after the current restrictions were put in place? If so my understanding is only weddings can have 50 people indoors.. everything else is only 6 people indoors.. or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well I think you could be fined up to 3k if you travelled outside your county? No?

But people from Kildare have been free to travel anywhere they wanted if they said they were going to work ,
    I had to drop one of my co workers home the other day to Kildare from dublin didn't see any checkpoints or increase Garda presence up and back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thou shalt not be a hypocritical politician was one. The other notable one was thou shalt not abuse the compliant tolerant nature of your voting public.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to Coronavirus Forum, reminder to read the charter before posting

Gatling wrote: »
    But people from Kildare have been free to travel anywhere they wanted if they said they were going to work ,
    I had to drop one of my co workers home the other day to Kildare from dublin didn't see any checkpoints or increase Garda presence up and back

Yep, you can also speed on the way and you might not be fined, same logic! :D

Rock77 wrote: »
    Was this golf event not after the current restrictions were put in place? If so my understanding is only weddings can have 50 people indoors.. everything else is only 6 people indoors.. or am I mistaken?

Again, these are only guidelines. If a hotel decides to host a wedding for 500 people, while it may be against the guidelines, it's not against the law

This was part of the emergency legislation which ended back in May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Again, these are only guidelines. If a hotel decides to host a wedding for 500 people, while it may be against the guidelines, it's not against the law

But are there any laws regarding covid, or are there only guidelines and suggestions, our government has not passed many laws since they were formed, but have they passed any covid ones.

But are there any laws regarding covid, or are there only guidelines and suggestions, our government has not passed many laws since they were formed, but have they passed any covid ones.

They passed emergency law back in late March, those lads ended on the 18th of May. Since then, no new laws that I know of have been introduced. We are free to move where we wish, when we wish and how we wish. Businesses are also free to operate as they wish because there are no laws against it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that we do any of the above but the Guards don't have any power to stop is. It's that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Does that mean that nobody has to adhere to the ‘guidelines’ now ?

• Advertisement

Lolle06 wrote: »

Exactly, by law, nobody has to adhere to the guidelines.

Of course it's not wise to disregard the guidelines but the Guards don't have any powers to restrict movement, end house parties, break up large groups. They have no powers under the health act and as far as i know are solely relying on their powers under the public order act.

Exactly, by law, nobody has to adhere to the guidelines.

Ah, now that makes their actions totally acceptable in the middle of a pandemic... they didn’t break the law after all, they just didn’t adhere to the ‘government guidelines’. Aren’t they all great role models!

Ah, now that makes their actions totally acceptable in the middle of a pandemic... they didn’t break the law after all, they just didn’t adhere to the ‘government guidelines’. Aren’t they all great role models!

Yep, it's a shambles but not a single one of them can be prosecuted for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Those present just proved they're too stupid to hold public office. No law was broken.

Water John wrote: »
    Those present just proved they're too stupid to hold public office. No law was broken.

I'd say it's stupidity and arrogance in equal measure.

Yep, it's a shambles but not a single one of them can be prosecuted for anything.

That doesn’t matter though! We don’t want these ppl in prison - we want them out of the government positions they are holding, b/c they clearly don’t give a ... about the people of Ireland and their efforts and sacrifices in this pandemic!

If one of them ever has the neck to blame ´Joe Soap’ about not sticking to their guidelines, or their motto ‘we are all in this together’, I am going to combust. And I am surely not the only one...

That doesn’t matter though! We don’t want these ppl in prison - we want them out of the government positions they are holding, b/c they clearly don’t give a ... about the people of Ireland and their efforts and sacrifices in this pandemic!

If one of them ever has the neck to blame ´Joe Soap’ about not sticking to their guidelines, or their motto ‘we are all in this together’, I am going to combust. And I am surely not the only one...

I hear you. These people are the legislators who should be introducing laws but sure I suppose it's against their own interests to make their very acts illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Statutory Instruments related to the COVID-19 pandemic

The above are the laws. Most recent ones are the three counties legislation.

Infernal Racket the OP is right tho. Some stuff is law other things are just guidance

I combined the above linked documents into one file. See attached

• Advertisement

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Statutory Instruments related to the COVID-19 pandemic

The above are the laws. Most recent ones are the three counties legislation.

Infernal Racket the OP is right tho. Some stuff is law other things are just guidance

I combined the above linked documents into one file. See attached

On page 6 of that document it states that the regulations will only be in effect until the 12th of April 2020. To my knowledge, they haven't been renewed and are therefore null and void. It's all so unclear what can actually be enforced and what cant.

Advertisement