Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

App that automatically shows you a route for a certain distance

Options
  • 20-08-2020 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone know an app that shows you a 5k, 10k or whatever distance you set route which finishes back where you started.

I'd love to stand at my door or anywhere I am and start running knowing that when I complete the route its as close to my set distance as is possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

seannash wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know an app that shows you a 5k, 10k or whatever distance you set route which finishes back where you started.

I'd love to stand at my door or anywhere I am and start running knowing that when I complete the route its as close to my set distance as is possible.

Look at mapmyrun or even google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

It's not an app but have a look at this post, checked & the website is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

If you have a Garmin watch you can use Garmin Connect to automatically create a looped course for your required distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Look at mapmyrun or even google maps

I've never seen this function in map my run but I'll look again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

opus wrote: »
    It's not an app but have a look at this post, checked & the website is still alive.

Its really good. I was hoping it would be an app at this stage but it doesn't appear to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

If you have a Garmin watch you can use Garmin Connect to automatically create a looped course for your required distance.

Never seen this: how?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

echancrure wrote: »
    Never seen this: how?

In the app go to:

1. Training
    2. Courses
    3. Create Course
    4. Select course type (running/trail etc)
    5. Select Automatic
    6. Set your distance and direction and hit Next to open the map
    7. Select your starting point and the app will create a route for you.

Can't say I've ever actually used this for a run, but if you like random routes it may be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Peemaccee

This is so cool!

It will drag me away from my normal loops.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

In the app go to:

1. Training
    2. Courses
    3. Create Course
    4. Select course type (running/trail etc)
    5. Select Automatic
    6. Set your distance and direction and hit Next to open the map
    7. Select your starting point and the app will create a route for you.

Can't say I've ever actually used this for a run, but if you like random routes it may be interesting.

My Garmin is still quite new and I didn't know about this feature until now but I just played around with it a bit and this is seriously impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've been using OnTheGomap for many years. It won't plot routes for you, but IMO is the best lightweight mapping tool for runners and cyclists. https://onthegomap.com/#/create

• Advertisement
Advertisement