Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The world when this is over

• 21-08-2020 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Today the WHO suggested this pandemic will end in 2 years.
    Is how the world works now changed forever or will behaviours revert to old norms when a cure is found?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is how the world works now changed forever or will behaviours revert to old norms when a cure is found?

Life will go back to normal, Anto will still be shuffling around the streets looking for a spare 2 youro. As much as we get annoyed with day to day life and living, I’d rather have our normal back than this “new normal” bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

There might be some lessons learned, but honestly I doubt it. The minute this **** is resolved, all will go the same arse road, more freedom moaners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Things will be the same as before, only worse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Things will be exactly the same as they were before, you'd swear the way some people are talking that we won't have gigs or sport ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I guess there will be a lot of public hesitation about another virus spreading rapidly

I for one would like to keep wearing face coverings on public transport. Especially if it goes back to sardines....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There's been pandemics before and there will be after this one. Things will get back to normal like they have every other time. Until we're unlucky enough to get another black death, or worse, type event, the world will go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

We still have brexit to go next year . Think this country will look a lot different or at least some parts of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Tig98 wrote: »
    I guess there will be a lot of public hesitation about another virus spreading rapidly

I for one would like to keep wearing face coverings on public transport. Especially if it goes back to sardines....

It's not a bad idea but I reckon it will be stigmatized again and encourage anti social behaviour after a while I'm afraid to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I think we’lll all be back to 2007 finances or worse when the other shoe drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think a lot of us thought that if we hid indoors for a long enough period of time, the virus would get tired of waiting and go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

We still have brexit to go next year . Think this country will look a lot different or at least some parts of the country

Ah thank god. I want brexit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Hopefully, those at the helm of the disgraced WHO will be frog-marched before an international criminal court in the Hague and charged with mass murder.
    It would be a huge bonus if their paymasters in the CCP were also held to account but this is unlikely to happen, but never say never.
    Those that elected Dr. Tedros as Director General ahead of an individual with 40 years experience in several countries have blood on their hands.
    Tedros never practiced even as a medical doctor, was a member of a proscribed terrorist organisation, took part in rigged elections in Ethiopia, attempted to appoint the 93 year old Robert Mugabe as 'goodwill ambassador' for the WHO, covered up several cholera epidemics in his own country intimidating investigating journalists in the process,received bribes from China while serving as Foreign Minister.
    All of this and he is just one person at the top table of a so-called 'health organisation'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

This and hard Brexit is the perfect storm. Angles Ashes here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think the consensus may well be that the cure was worse than the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It will go back to normal eventually.

I dread to think what will happen when a dangerous virus does turn up, like a virus that causes the global death rate to surpass the birth rate.

Not a virus that may or may not have some slight excess mortality, or arguments about died with or of Covid or has a 70% survival rate in nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Aside from the worries about health, the economy,job security and mental health (all very real and relevant concerns) I find it a very interesting time to be experiencing. To see how people have reacted at every level is interesting and I would not have expected it to showcase division in such obvious ways.

I had hoped for a period that the world would take it as a warning sign of the seriousness of things when unprepared and that this would lead to more sensible governments and policies but I am not so confidence that this will be the case.

The following is a very stunning image.

AP20232111894684.jpg?w=1024&h=681&crop=1

The climate crisis, a contributory factor for devastating wildfires, is still building and while Covid has enforced the belief for many to listen to the science, it unfortunately has also shown that many have no interest in such an approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

2020 is looking to be the hottest, or at least the 2nd hottest year on record. Once Covid is over and we begin to see the real effects of climate change seep into the Western world, that will cause more disruption that Covid ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Look at countries that beat the virus for a long period of time, life went back to normal pretty quick.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Look at countries that beat the virus for a long period of time, life went back to normal pretty quick.

Sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sweden?

New Zealand is a good example of that.
    I think one permanent change will be remote working and as a consequence reduced loads in public transport .

• Advertisement

New Zealand is a good example of that.
    I think one permanent change will be remote working and as a consequence reduced loads in public transport .

They barricaded themselves off from the world to wait for a successful vaccine.

Sweden are more successful IMO.

Living with this is more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It will be like that Bill Hicks joke about the cure for aids, ' There'll be fcuking in the streets man.' :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It will take a bit of time but the world will go back to normal just like it did after SPanish Flu of 1918

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We have been so lucky with the low mortality rate from this.

It's not H5N1.

At least it's a good preparation for the next pandemic. And there will be.

They barricaded themselves off from the world to wait for a successful vaccine.

Sweden are more successful IMO.

Living with this is more appealing

Vietnam was fully back to normal for over three months. No masks, no social distancing.

Life will go back to normal everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

It's not a bad idea but I reckon it will be stigmatized again and encourage anti social behaviour after a while I'm afraid to say.

Wear one if you want, no? If you have a cold or whatever and are planning on using public transport, you definitely should be wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

The biggest thing that will change is the greater rise in far right nationalism. The economy globally is on life support. 40% unemployment by the end of these 2 years is not unlikely. There will be no money for public health services, health, education. There will be no jobs. There will be repossessions.

The impact of WW1 and Spanish flu was Hitler, Mussolini and friends. Right wing nationalism is in charge in the US and UK already, Poland and Hungary the same, the impact of this will fuel it further.

I think the consensus may well be that the cure was worse than the disease.

This.

The economy will be left in tatters. Wouldn’t be surprised if tension or even war breaks out in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sweden?

China

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53816511

Tested 11m people in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tig98 wrote: »

If people wore them properly it might be effective but the vast majority of people aren't so it's not that effective.

The Asian way of wearing a mask if you are unwell is a good idea because they will be worn and used correctly. Mandatory masks are a farce by being worn wrong and taken on and off multiple times.

Advertisement