Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The depression of isolation and self quarantine

• 21-03-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I am on day 5, I went out today to sit in the car in the town but the weather was so bad. It is taking its toll but I'll be strong. How is everyone else managing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I thought the weather today was perfect for a walk in a quiet area.
    Use the phone or Skype and the likes to keep in contact with people. Personally I'm lucky as my wife is here, we live I a rural area and have enough to do about the house to keep us busy and we were retired anyway. It's a matter of setting up a routine with a small project to be done every day. We miss meeting friends and our grandchildren but it's a small price and the time will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

theguzman wrote: »
    I am on day 5, I went out today to sit in the car in the town but the weather was so bad. It is taking its toll but I'll be strong. How is everyone else managing?

You can walk, outside, endlessley. Keep yourseld apart from other people and make no pit stops. Otherwise walk and walk and walk, and then drive somewhere and walk and walk and walk.

Spent 3 hours in the Phoenix Park myself today, many thousands of people there in ones and twos, keeping to their own pairing or families, but an excellent atmosphere of determination. Two mounted Gardaí were there patrolling, entering kids with the horses from a distance.

I saw one group of teens, all arrived separately with a hurl and sliotar each, they stood 30 metres apart on the polo grounds, long pucking the balls to each other, wearing gloves. Nearly taking the leather off them they were. All that energy needed an outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

As larbre said, I'm just going for drives and walks. I'm getting good use out of my home gym which I made just after Christmas. I was in two minds about building a home gym or joining one. So glad I decided to build my own.

Doing grand. Indoors I can turn to an array of options. Netflix/classic movies, duolingo, online chess, sudoku, crossword, raid the book shelf, deck of cards, occasional board game, play piano or strum the guitar. When the weather is receptive, plough away in the garden, clearing flower beds, planting, mow the lawn, trim down hedges. Take in a walk at dawn or late evening when activity on street subsides. Car seldom leaves the driveway except for essential shopping. Chat away to friends on whatsapp or other media intermittently.

Plenty of options on the table. No boredom/cabin fever setting in anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

My perspective:

It's tough compared to the cushy lifestyle most of us normally have here in Ireland but we've been molly-coddled our whole lives compared to previous generations / other parts of the world today.

Not like we're getting bombs dropped on our homes, getting conscripted into the army, food rationing, famine etc.
    I've been using the Blitz as a frame of reference - Covid19 ain't so bad by comparison.

Just a case of grinding through for the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How would you fancy going to fight in East Russia for your country in 1943?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe this is the time to consider a rescue dog or cat?

People handle crises better when they have to care for another being (human or animal)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Learn a new language..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had a 6 way zoom video call with my group of best friends from uni.
    Scattered all over, Scotland, Holland, USA etc.

We tend to see each other in person at least a few times a year individually but collectively once religiously which might not happen this year :(
    But the call was brilliant craic we all had a drink and a catch-up so it's now going to be a weekly thing.

Take care every body use technology when you can to keep up contact with your friends and loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'd go in a heartbeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As my brother in law said the other day

"Your parents or grandparents had to go fight a war
    You need to sit on the sofa for a month or two. You can do this"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

On vacation from US and into my fifth day of self-quarantining. Fridge/freezer well stacked, plenty of wine, magazines and crosswords on the net. Have not been out except to walk around the yard for fresh air. High on a Kerry hill not far from Tralee, so the fog and mist are regular occurances. But when these burn off, the view is great.
    So far, no problem. Phone, email and WhatsApp. I might get sick of it next week but at the moment, no problemo.
    Anyone else doing similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

On vacation from US and into my fifth day of self-quarantining. Fridge/freezer well stacked, plenty of wine, magazines and crosswords on the net. Have not been out except to walk around the yard for fresh air. High on a Kerry hill not far from Tralee, so the fog and mist are regular occurances. But when these burn off, the view is great.
    So far, no problem. Phone, email and WhatsApp. I might get sick of it next week but at the moment, no problemo.
    Anyone else doing similar?

Yes same home from us, but I am here visiting my parents. It's been great, even better I get dinners made for me, I just wear a mask, wash the hands keep distance. Lots of tea and chats from about 5m. Day 7 here. Walk outside too, work from home. Haven't had to leave the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

As someone who grew up in the middle of nowhere, with long Summer holidays with continuous rain, no internet and no TV until the afternoon, I am well prepared mentally. At least there are things to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Am on the loose WOOHOO! Off to Ballybunion for a few hours before heading to a family dinner. Feels kinda strange :D

Advertisement