Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unintended consequences of CV19

• 20-08-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭

The Muslim face coverings debate seems to have gone away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We're back to two genders

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

People finally learned how to wash their hands properly.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks to masks, some people finally learned their breath stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Economic annihilation and tattered futures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I think it gave people an opportunity to reflect a bit more. The on the go culture came to an end and in a way it allowed us to enjoy life a little more. Just unfortunate that it coincided with limits on what we could actually do, especially when the pandemic was at its height in terms of uncertainty and fear.

I also feel it connected us to the world more. So many people just plod along as if their existence is the centre of the universe; the pandemic brought a universality to our experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was thinking, will the winter flu be a lot less prevalent this winter due to the social distancing we are doing, coupled with wearing of masks in indoor spaces.

Normally it spreads like wildfire, but will that be greatly reduced in these times of Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

when people go abroad, the first thing they comment on is "how safe it is". Think they were coming from a war zone ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Coppers is shut.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No people knocking on your door at 7pm trying to get you to switch electricity provider, install solar panels, or find Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The realization that I never want to sit in a cinema again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm happy with a very small bubble of people, pubs don't matter, I can save a fortune by not buying crap that I don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was thinking, will the winter flu be a lot less prevalent this winter due to the social distancing we are doing, coupled with wearing of masks in indoor spaces.
    They have noticed a reduction in cases and deaths in the southern hemisphere winter flu season. However, these things can be very fickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Having grown up kids at home, together for an extended period for the first time in years.

FF are dead for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

My garden looks great!

Next doors garden looks great. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm happy with a very small bubble of people, pubs don't matter, I can save a fortune by not buying crap that I don't need.

This apart from the buying crap bit. I have become extra good at buying crap ... but now I try to buy my crap from Irish (online) businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

bee06 wrote: »
    This apart from the buying crap bit. I have become extra good at buying crap ... but now I try to buy my crap from Irish (online) businesses.

Well overpriced crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Victor wrote: »
    They have noticed a reduction in cases and deaths in the southern hemisphere winter flu season. However, these things can be very fickle.

Have uncle a gp in Melbourne...big uptake in his patients looking for flu jab. Anecdotal and localised of course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We're back to two genders
    Gender of patients in hospital

1. Hospital statistics

Gender of patients
    Gender Number of cases % of total

Female 15,614 56.4
    Male 12,033 43.5
    Unknown 28 0.1

Total 27,675
    *All statistics measured at midnight on Wednesday 19 August.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

scooby77 wrote: »
    Have uncle a gp in Melbourne...big uptake in his patients looking for flu jab. Anecdotal and localised of course

Could be happening about everywhere imo. Flu jabs are gonna be hot merchandise this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

People have stopped waffling about man being able to change the weather, it's pretty much out of the news as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The realization that I never want to sit in a cinema again

I realised that years ago. When cinemas became more about eating than watching, I checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No people knocking on your door at 7pm trying to get you to switch electricity provider, install solar panels, or find Jesus.

That's still happening, also in the middle of the pandemic the amount of tools looking to do roof, drive, gutters cut grass etc... My heart was broken. Best thing I done stopped answering

The best weather for time if year was during the lockdown, feck all pollution too..... Roads were dead, city was dead and work was a dream....

Worst part was having to work while everyone else was off.... Got my holidays and yes it rained for 2 weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

People that normally spend their weekends in shopping malls, pubs, bookies, bowling alleys, cinemas and at home suddenly going to the beach that's been five minutes from their house all their lives.

And getting stuck in the sand, one by one like lemmings.
    And asking us to pull then out with my car.
    And calling me names cause I don't have a strap/rope.
    And being awkwardly appreciative when we push them out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Realising just how many of your close contacts "don't get it " when it comes to the risk attached to covid-19.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    People that normally spend their weekends in shopping malls, pubs, bookies, bowling alleys, cinemas and at home suddenly going to the beach that's been five minutes from their house all their lives.

And getting stuck in the sand, one by one like lemmings.
    And asking us to pull then out with my car.
    And calling me names cause I don't have a strap/rope.
    And being awkwardly appreciative when we push them out of trouble.

That's absolutely shocking.... You should have a yankum rope.... Probably one of the best tow roles one could ever buy....

It's even better when you get into the car and drive it out and they're like what.....

No Rickshaws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The homeless crisis has gone away.

The idea that FF could do a job has been proven wrong.

Advertisement