Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign Language presenters x 2 Northern Ireland why?

• 20-08-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭

Please help me understand why there are 2 sign language people presenting at the Same time at Northern Irelands Covid news conferences, just looking at one now, just bizzare, the two are in seperate screen boxes at end of screen, please don't tell me one is catholic and one protestant?, it's the most bizzare looking thing I've yet to see on this entire pandemic

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Please help me understand why there are 2 sign language people presenting at the Same time at Northern Irelands Covid news conferences, just looking at one now, just bizzare, the two are in seperate screen boxes at end of screen, please don't tell me one is catholic and one protestant?, it's the most bizzare looking thing I've yet to see on this entire pandemic
    Sign language is not the same across the world and I would think it could the one used in Ireland and the UK .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Probably one is British sign language and the other is Irish sign language

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Sign language is not the same across the world and I would think it could the one used in Ireland and the UK .

I could understand that if for example different languages were being used but press conference in English and I don't believe its got to to with Irish language?

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Probably one is British sign language and the other is Irish sign language

Curious if that's the case why isn't this happening in the Rebublic, just seems very odd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I could understand that if for example different languages were being used but press conference in English and I don't believe its got to to with Irish language?

There is British Sign Language and Irish Sign Language

Both translate spoken English but are different
    Irish Sign Language is different from all other sign languages such as British Sign Language, American Sign Language etc.
    Ireland is unique in that we have gender sign language, i.e. Men and Women in Ireland have different sign languages due to being educated in separate schools.

https://www.irishdeafsociety.ie/irish-sign-language/#:~:text=Irish%20Sign%20Language%20is%20different,being%20educated%20in%20separate%20schools.

• Advertisement

Well I've learned something new, thanks to Google and I'm taken aback, I never realised the below, extraordinary, thankfully its not political as I had feared.

Below part of an explanation

But the sign language arrangements in place at the Covid-19 news conferences are not to cater for the English-speaking and Irish-speaking communities.

In relation to English, there are two formats in use in Northern Ireland.

They are Irish Sign Language (ISL), the system used south of the border and seen at news conferences hosted by the likes of Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, Minister for Health Simon Harris and Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan, and British Sign Language (BSL), the system commonly used throughout the UK.

According to a senior Northern Ireland public servant, the two interpreters system is used at the Executive news conferences in an effort to provide information to the widest possible audience.

He believes there is some evidence that Irish Sign Language is more commonly used in rural communities while British Sign Language is more popular in towns and cities.

Stheno wrote: »
    There is British Sign Language and Irish Sign Language

Both translate spoken English but are different

https://www.irishdeafsociety.ie/irish-sign-language/#:~:text=Irish%20Sign%20Language%20is%20different,being%20educated%20in%20separate%20schools.

Thank you for that, I'm in awe at the team doing our own news conferences, I hadn't seen one from the North till today and just confused seeing people at one time,

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Yes both ISL and BSL at NI covid press conferences.

Since ISL is not singed english or signed irish it is separate language - hence at Irish Press conferences around covid there only the irish or english has ISL accompaning it

Advertisement