Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Food Labeling

• 19-08-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question...

Have Food Labels changed in Ireland lately

Just looking at a pack of Almond, the information reads

Carbs 1g
    Fibre 2g

Are the carbs listed the net carbs(digestible carbs or just a misprint)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's weird - could it be to do with the brand/country of origin? I've had a look at a pack of flaked almonds from Aldi in my cupboard and it has the usual information.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just a quick question...

Have Food Labels changed in Ireland lately

Just looking at a pack of Almond, the information reads

Carbs 1g
    Fibre 2g

Are the carbs listed the net carbs(digestible carbs or just a misprint)

Any chance you have a picture?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could be a US label, see quite a few things with those

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    Could be a US label, see quite a few things with those

Yeah, sounds like it, in Asian supermarkets you will find overlabelled nutritional info labels. Fibre is considered a carb in the US system, a US label would spell it fiber.

I hate the US system as it does not require per 100g or per 100ml units.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think over here carbs are calculated minus insoluble fibre, while in North America, the total is included as carbs. I think it’s why you get different calorie values when you look up the calories for a certain food, a North American brand will have a high calorie count than a UK/Irish one.

So for your label, total carbs would be 3g, but you can’t absorb two of those so they’re just counted as fibre rather than carbs.

Edit: I asked a similar question in the nutrition and diet forum a few years ago. Interesting responses here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99991108

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Here is the pictures...

The item, is almonds from tesco
    523686.jpg
    523685.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Here is the pictures...

The item, is almonds from tesco

This might help: https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Summary%20of%20Nutrition%20Labelling%20Rules.pdf

Advertisement