Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ideas for COVID exercise with trainers...

Options
  • 19-08-2020 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Just reaching out to boardsies who may be able to throw up some ideas.

In short, there are some local lads who are great personal trainers. They do deadly group sessions (32 a group) but obviously have to shut up shop for the next few weeks.

I’ve been trying to come up with some ideas for them. It’s indoors most of the time and the problem with outdoor sessions is that if it’s raining they can get a low turnout. I was thinking of something like a marquee in the car park where they use the hall and have open sides (so great ventilation) that should classify it as outdoors. But this may not be enough.

I’d hate to see them shut down, I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of heard of safe and good ways maybe gyms or other trainers had found to manage this?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've been doing Zoom strength conditioning sessions every week since March. I've also been doing specific cycling related Zoom sessions 3 times a week

In both cases the "trainers/leaders" are now suggesting it could become a permanent feature

We've had a dozen participants in the Strength Conditioning classes and up to 30 on the cycling stuff

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add there's a "free" session every week (the others being part of wider training plans) in the cycling ones, and the strength conditioning started off with a couple of free sessions then half price with everyone happy to pay full price now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Honestly I think a marquee is probably the best temporary way out of this, along with limited class sizes. If they can speak to a local football or GAA club they might be allowed to pitch the marquee on grass, which would give them some privacy and make for softer ground. You can get big groundsheets so that the ground is protected and nobody has to do pressups in the wet grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the group sizes will be limited to 15 so maybe you’ll have to do the training in rotations. Double the work for no purpose of course.
    Another option I did during real lockdown was classes on Facebook live with a trainer from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Drumpot; would a mobile gym with a trainer be a solution? I've seen a couple

Its outdoors too mind you

• Advertisement
Advertisement