Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New guidelines/restrictions 18 August - Megathread

• 18-08-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Just wondering what these new recommendations mean for offices. I’m back in office now, around 15 people in a fairly small office. We were working from home so have the capacity to. Should we be back to working from home as per guidelines today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Why did ye come back?

Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Route1

Early June

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's pretty much a reiteration of what was already in place - a government recommendation to WFH where possible but nothing that's enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Route1 wrote: »
    Just wondering what these new recommendations mean for offices. I’m back in office now, around 15 people in a fairly small office. We were working from home so have the capacity to. Should we be back to working from home as per guidelines today?

The guidelines were always WFH If possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Advice basically hasn't changed.

Regardless, I would question the calibre of any employer who wants their staff in the office when they have remote working capability in the midst of a global pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

As there is no light at the end of a tunnel while this crowd of clowns in power, this topic would with us for foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I actually think the caretaker Government and Leo Varadkar were doing a better job advising us what we should not be doing than this new Government under Micheal Martin is currently just giving an unneeded press conference just to boast his own ego.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

18 cases in hospital and another 8 in ICU. Utter madness. And now no spectators at outside sporting events. Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1295766347637501953

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Route1 wrote: »

Yes.
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The guidelines were always WFH If possible

Offices were allowed reopen. The guidance is now stronger and states "work from home unless absolutely necessary".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Advice basically hasn't changed.

Regardless, I would question the calibre of any employer who wants their staff in the office when they have remote working capability in the midst of a global pandemic.
    The public service - which should be setting an example - is one of the biggest offenders here. I posted a few times about how I was ordered back to the office in late June. There were similar posts on boards.ie from other public servants. I have spoken to people in the HSE and other organisations who have also experienced this

When I was ordered back to the office, I quoted the public health guidelines that people should WFH if possible. I was told that it wasn't possible and I hadn't been doing my job when I was WFH. Which was absolute rubbish but there's no reasoning with some people.

So, back I went to the office to do the exact same work that I had been doing at home - except now with more close contacts :rolleyes:

In terms of Covid-19, things have played out almost exactly as I predicted in late June.

The public service should be setting an example and should be adopting a cautious approach but that would require some level of competence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's stronger I think than previous guidance. I don't have the exact wording, but what I heard was unless you absolutely have to be in a workplace and can't work from home you shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The public service - which should be setting an example - is one of the biggest offenders here. I posted a few times about how I was ordered back to the office in late June. There were similar posts on boards.ie from other public servants. I have spoken to people in the HSE and other organisations who have also experienced this

When I was ordered back to the office, I quoted the public health guidelines that people should WFH if possible. I was told that it wasn't possible and I hadn't been doing my job when I was WFH. Which was absolute rubbish but there's no reasoning with some people.

So, back I went to the office to do the exact same work that I had been doing at home - except now with more close contacts :rolleyes:

In terms of Covid-19, things have played out almost exactly as I predicted in late June.

The public service should be setting an example and should be adopting a cautious approach but that would require some level of competence.

It is the exact opposite in the department I am in (Revenue). All helplines are closed. A rota of 4 to 5 people in section for 2 or 3 days a week (1 section is responsible for post opening another inputting cheques/bank drafts)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

hmmm wrote: »
    It's stronger I think than previous guidance. I don't have the exact wording, but what I heard was unless you absolutely have to be in a workplace and can't work from home you shouldn't be there.

Well I think they should not use the word should as it is advice rather then a necessity but ya the changing of unless absolutely need to is a good change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A lot of the 'ordering' workers back to offices is simply useless management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

That's interesting. I'm a Civil Servant and all staff in my Dept are still working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

May I ask why did you go back....Im public service and we arent back.

gazzer wrote: »
    That's interesting. I'm a Civil Servant and all staff in my Dept are still working from home

yeah im public service and we are all still wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭BrianD3

May I ask why did you go back....Im public service and we arent back.
    Well I was told to come back, reference was made to my contract etc. The rest of my dept was already back - they were all unhappy about it. I seem to have been the "thorny nettle" that was left until last to be tackled.

The union was of no assistance, in fact they sided with senior management "well, management want everyone back in the office" was what I was told.

I should point out her that I live with a vulnerable person and have ongoing care difficulties due to withdrawal of services due to Covid. My colleagues who were distressed about coming back had/have childcare issues due to closed creches etc. No empathy was shown by the manager/employer.

Well I was told to come back, reference was made to my contract etc. The rest of my dept was already back - they were all unhappy about it. I seem to have been the "thorny nettle" that was left until last to be tackled.

The union was of no assistance, in fact they sided with senior management "well, management want everyone back in the office" was what I was told.

I should point out her that I live with a vulnerable person and have ongoing care difficulties due to withdrawal of services due to Covid. My colleagues who were distressed about coming back had/have childcare issues due to closed creches etc. No empathy was shown by the manager/employer.

jaysus thats awful...what union. Im forsa and they are clear it is WFH and to not give in to pressure. By employer do you mean your dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I work in the HSE, we were originally working from home for a few weeks during Covid but then our manager instructed us all back to work and not to work from home again.

We are in an office of 15 sometimes 25 at full capacity with part time/ parental leave etc. No real social distance and very tight spaces. We highlighted concerns to management but were told to continue as is and in no circumstances work from home.

Wouldn’t mind but we were getting a lot more done from home due to less distractions etc. Got in touch with union and they said similar to poster above re- if management say go back you have to go back......

• Advertisement

god thats awful. I work in third level. Back in March Leo announced all universities would close. We didnt ...stayed open. My manager told me I couldnt work from home. I said nope Im working from home and Union supported all of us. Within a week everyone was. She did the whole its important to follow instructions blah blah

I replied I dont follow management advice - I work for the Government.

Yes I am that cranky.

Forsa still supportive now but Id be happy to go back now.

I think the problem lies in who has the discretion to decide who is "absolutely necessary" in the office, or not.

There should be very limited discretion. If someone can work from home, there should only be very limited circumstances where they have to attend the office.

Thankfully, in my dept there has been no pressure to return to the office, we have adapted very well to full time working from home, and my direct manager and senior management have been very supportive of this.

But I have spoken to friends in other depts who have the exact opposite experience and managers who simply do not trust their staff to work from home. So they've been ordered to return to office based working, for no good reason other then their boss can order them back.

I think the problem lies in who has the discretion to decide who is "absolutely necessary" in the office, or not.

There should be very limited discretion. If someone can work from home, there should only be very limited circumstances where they have to attend the office.

Thankfully, in my dept there has been no pressure to return to the office, we have adapted very well to full time working from home, and my direct manager and senior management have been very supportive of this.

But I have spoken to friends in other depts who have the exact opposite experience and managers who simply do not trust their staff to work from home. So they've been ordered to return to office based working, for no good reason other then their boss can order them back.

well yeah fair point. My manager even asked me to sign a work from home contract. Get stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

yeah im public service and we are all still wfh.

I'm a public servant and it is not possible to wfh as we are public facing and the general public depend on us. Also several of our proceeses don't allow for remote working for a multitude of reasons. Personally I get more done in the office but I know I'm in the minority.

I'm a public servant and it is not possible to wfh as we are public facing and the general public depend on us. Also several of our proceeses don't allow for remote working for a multitude of reasons. Personally I get more done on the office but I know I'm in the minority.

well fair enough. Im looking forward to going back myself. WFH sounds good but 6 months on maybe not.

I get more done at home but I work longer hours aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Seems mad only 15 people allowed in Croke park and the Aviva whilst Meat factories are packing in 200 staff on top of each other...if not 15 of them into a house to live together......

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Is this a Govt Dept, public sector body, or semi state?

I have heard of no Govt Dept being physically back en masse.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged and title changed

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

A few of my colleagues (admin, public service) could a half day to a couple days worth of work from home but our manager has said no. Every other departments has had people in identical roles working from home 2-3 days a week.

Is there anything that can be done about this or anyone you could take it to (e.g. a union)? One of my colleagues has already used all their leave for the year due to childcare and will have to go out on unpaid leave next. A couple of others have kids old enough to stay at home alone but said their mental health is suffering hugely and they're both worried, and a fourth colleague is considered high-risk.

Just concerned about how this will go for all my colleagues at this point! They've asked to work weekends instead for a couple of weekdays off as well and got told no.

• Advertisement

A few of my colleagues could work from home for a half day/full day or two a week (personally I can't). All the other departments where I am have had people in identical roles (all admin) working from home 2-3 days a week. Our manager has said no from the beginning.

Is there anything that can be done about this or anyone you could take it to (e.g. a union)? One of my colleagues has already used all their leave for the year due to childcare and will have to go out on unpaid leave next. A couple of others have kids old enough to stay at home alone but said their mental health is suffering hugely and they're both worried, and a fourth colleague is considered high-risk.

speak to your union immediately. If your colleague is high risk how is she even in the work place. What sector are you in??

Advertisement