Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lovecraft Country [HBO]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really enjoyed the book and it should be a fairly straight-forward job to translate it to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well... :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lovecraft eh...

*watches trailer*

Huh. Big slobbering monster dogs eh. Not sure they've quite got the whole "Lovecraft" aspect down?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lovecraft Country will receive its UK premiere on Sky Atlantic and NOW TV on Monday August 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Early reviews are very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Early reviews are very positive.

I must watch tonight on Sky Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Defo setting this to record tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Dull show. Preachy mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Really enjoyable opener.

Looks like it's going down the Watchmen route with user reviews of "white man gets upset cause show highlights all the bad things white man did".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It was a bloody mental opening episode. Loved it. :)

It really takes a turn towards the end. It's utterly insane but I'm loving it strangely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. The ending was mental :):)

Well that was god damn great and then last 20 minutes just made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I enjoyed that more than I thought I would, not having watched a single trailer or read the book.
    The only thing I'll say is that I thought the effects in opening shot looked quite well (in an OTT pulpy on purpose kind of way), but then found the effects at the end quite ropey (to put it mildly).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The actual racism was scarier than the many eyed monsters, why did the girl say kilometres when the sheriff was following them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not sure what to make of it yet, the monsters looked something like what was on the original Ghostbusters film nearly 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will keep watching as the only other thing I have on Mondays is Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Solid episode getting across the setting. Plenty to do from here. The Princess at the start was done kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The_Dave

Once I see JJ Abrams name linked it's an automatic no from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

The_Dave wrote: »
    Once I see JJ Abrams name linked it's an automatic no from me

Its so funny, I went from being someone who got so excited whenever I saw his name attached to anything, to being super wary and sceptical. His name just screams "mystery-box" to me now and I usually fear straight away that the story is going to have a hugely unsatisfying ending with a mystery that never gets explained properly.

I guess with this, at least its based on a book, so I imagine that the story has more focus than the ones he is normally directly involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loved this...

.. having not read much about it.. the last 10 minutes were a curveball to say the least!

Full first episode available on YT courtesy of HBO:

Basq wrote: »
    Full first episode available on YT courtesy of HBO:

That's a bit mad

That's a bit mad
    They've done it before.. it'll just be the pilot uploaded I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Think it's a great idea on their part. Give the show a massive boost to its profile, spread the word, get people talking. Let people have a taste of the type of shows that HBO have

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I had seen the adds for this and was not sure what expect from it never having read the book or books but I have to say when I watched it at first I was not sure but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next episode tomorrow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Lovecraft was a bigoted racist his views on anyone not AngloSaxon we're quite extreme,

A great follow up episode keeping the crazy bonkers story going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Loving this, Great acting

Advertisement