Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The other game this weekend - Does anyone even care Ulster v Connacht Build Up thre

• 18-08-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭

Ulster v Connacht. Build up starts here

Comments

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ulster v Connacht. Build up starts here

How could you be making threads at a time like this. THERE'S A PANDEMIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

no one cares

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Should Ulster have to self isolate for 14 days? I think so. Connacht should get a walkover win here.

*in before "well that's the only way they'll get a win". Yes, awec, I'm looking at you ��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Good luck to our Western brethren. A good, spirited game of passion and skill - a display of all that is best about the sport. That's what I expect.

Don't let those dirty boys in Blue and Red drag us down to their level.

In all seriousness, I am pretty nervous. And I don't think it's about missing some key players - Hendo, Addison and Baloucuone are all starters, but I think we'll be manage without them. It's simply about not having seen Ulster play in so long, and not knowing what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Typical Ulster...haven't played in almost 6 months and are still wrecked by injuries to key players.

bilston wrote: »
    Typical Ulster...haven't played in almost 6 months and are still wrecked by injuries to key players.

Addison we've gotten used to playing without, anyway.

Baloucoune's a loss, but I'm more frustrated for him than Ulster - we still have Lyttle, Faddes or Gilroy can start.

Hendo's a massive absence, but Carter will be like a new signing. Time to see what he brings.

I'd be more concerned if we were missing Coetzee or Cooney (although I'm excited to see what Mathewson brings).

I suspect Marshall would be a huge loss as well - who steps in at 13 if he's out? Faddes? Marshall must have played more minutes than any other player last season bar perhaps Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

and not knowing what to expect.

Is that not the norm with Ulster .......

Yes, but this season it had settled into "just how good will we be?" In previous years it had been anything from "have those fellas ever met before?" to "how the hell did they pull that off? Was that even on purpose?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Well we want these games to be as close to normal as possible so Ulster wrecked by key players being injured is normal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yes, but this season it had settled into "just how good will we be?" In previous years it had been anything from "have those fellas ever met before?" to "how the hell did they pull that off? Was that even on purpose?"

Dangerous thinking there, Paul. It's not the losing that will get ya...it's the hope.

So what happens now that outdoor gatherings are restricted to 15 people?

Do the matches go ahead?

And if so how are the broadcast. I was listening to OTB last night and the were saying Eir Sport need 30 people at the game to broadcast it. Then you throw officials and coaching teams and you probably aren't far off 90-100 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

So what happens now that outdoor gatherings are restricted to 15 people?

Do the matches go ahead?

And if so how are the broadcast. I was listening to OTB last night and the were saying Eir Sport need 30 people at the game to broadcast it. Then you throw officials and coaching teams and you probably aren't far off 90-100 people.

The all wouldn't be in 1 group. They could have pods of up to 15 people in different locations. Probably the main reason the Aviva was picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

It's not only about Ulster absences but Connacht having their main team, so able to beat anyone.

Except Roux and maybe O'Donnell if he proves good as he seems to be, we (based on last injury update) are full-strenght.

connachta wrote: »
    It's not only about Ulster absences but Connacht having their main team, so able to beat anyone.

Except Roux and maybe O'Donnell if he proves good as he seems to be, we (based on last injury update) are full-strenght.

What does Connacht's first choice team look like this season?

OTB were saying at the weekend that there has been a bit of a turnover of players since Feb/Mar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

OTB were saying at the weekend that there has been a bit of a turnover of players since Feb/Mar.

We've lost probably our two most consistent players of the past few years, Fainga'a and Godwin, since the lockdown. Then lads in the back 3 like Niyi and Leader are gone too.

Buckley/McAllister
    Heffernan
    Beckham
    Roux
    Dillane
    Masterson
    Butler
    SOB
    Marmion/Blade
    Carty
    Healy
    Aki
    Robb/Farrell/DalyFarrellHealy
    Porch
    TOH

Would look kind of this

(only Roux/O'Donnell/SOB could have made it in the 23 at first IMO)

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Matt Healy
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. John Porch
    15. Tiernan O’Halloran

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Paddy McAllister
    18. Dom Robertson McCoy
    19. Cillian Gallagher
    20. Conor Oliver
    21. Caolin Blade
    22. Conor Fitzgerald
    23. Sam Arnold

Pffft this thread isn't even getting a mention on twitter

You prefer the other thread

"A team you won't see again as everybody is absent with Ireland" VS "South Africa C" (after S-Af A -Sarries- and B -Sale-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Zzippy wrote: »
    Buckley/McAllister
    Heffernan
    Beckham
    Roux
    Dillane
    Masterson
    Butler
    SOB
    Marmion/Blade
    Carty
    Healy
    Aki
    Robb/Farrell/DalyFarrellHealy
    Porch
    TOH

I didn't think Beckham had put on enough weight to play TH since retiring

I didn't think Beckham had put on enough weight to play TH since retiring

:D:D

Damn autocorrect!

I say this to that Connacht team: pffft!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

connachta wrote: »
    16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Paddy McAllister
    18. Dom Robertson McCoy
    19. Cillian Gallagher
    20. Conor Oliver
    21. Caolin Blade
    22. Conor Fitzgerald
    23. Sam Arnold

Fair to say the sub backs look stronger than the sub forwards?

aloooof wrote: »
    Fair to say the sub backs look stronger than the sub forwards?

More physical, less mobile

So bad news, no Matt Healy, either De Buitlear, Wootton, or Sullivan on the wing
    Good (great) news : SOB integrated into training!
    Uncertainty (positive) : Roux not listed among the only 3 unavailable, maybe on the bench?

Tiwtter? Please. Dan McFarland has given an interview to directly assuage my fears.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53825325

Here we go.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Ulster team to play Connacht, Guinness PRO14 Round 14, Sunday 23 August at Aviva Stadium (kick-off 4.30pm, live on Premier Sports & TG4):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Craig Gilroy, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Louis Ludik, Billy Burns (Capt.), John Cooney;

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Matthew Rea, Alby Mathewson, Ian Madigan, Michael Lowry.

Interesting points: Burns captain. Carter and Rea maybe not quite ready to start after injuries. Stockdale at fullback. Hume ahead of Marshall? Gilroy ahead of Faddes.

Here we go.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Ulster team to play Connacht, Guinness PRO14 Round 14, Sunday 23 August at Aviva Stadium (kick-off 4.30pm, live on Premier Sports & TG4):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Craig Gilroy, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Louis Ludik, Billy Burns (Capt.), John Cooney;

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Matthew Rea, Alby Mathewson, Ian Madigan, Michael Lowry.

Interesting points: Burns captain. Carter and Rea maybe not quite ready to start after injuries. Stockdale at fullback. Hume ahead of Marshall? Gilroy ahead of Faddes.

Poor Matt Faddes...it just hasn't worked out for him...yet bizarrely if you look at his try scoring rate it's really impressive.

I wonder if Hume over Marshall is a selection call. Every Ulster fan loves Luke, but his passing range let's him down, Hume on the other hand is an excellent passer. Then again he isnt at Marshall's level defensively. Maybe its rotation, but then are we really rotating after a 6 month break. We won't know until we hopefully play in the semi final.

Its a strong bench. Matthewson and Madigan make a big difference on that score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

Connacht team

15. John Porch
    14. Peter Sullivan
    13. Tom Farrell
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Alex Wootton
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion
    1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan