Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

192 BMW i3

• 14-08-2020 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I am currently Looking at buying 2019 BMW i3. One feature that is a must for me is Apple CarPlay. According to the BMW dealer here in Dublin there is no way they can put in Apple CarPlay or activate it for me. I was certain I read that from 2018 or 2019 CarPlay is able to be activated in all BMW’s.

Does anybody know anything about this? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fillum wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am currently Looking at buying 2019 BMW i3. One feature that is a must for me is Apple CarPlay. According to the BMW dealer here in Dublin there is no way they can put in Apple CarPlay or activate it for me. I was certain I read that from 2018 or 2019 CarPlay is able to be activated in all BMW’s.

Standard on April 2020 onwards I believe.
    It was a cost option on 192 cars.
    Can be coded in on older cars depending on their base spec.
    Needs enhanced Bluetooth and the newer iDrive system which the 192 should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fillum

Thanks a lot for the reply. I’ve asked the dealer twice and he’s being pretty short, but saying I can’t get CarPlay on the 2019 i3, even if it’s with a cable. Pretty bummed as this is a deal breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Join the i3 modified group on Facebook. Pretty sure there are ways to do it. Actually join the Irish i3 owners group too. Guy retrofitted his i3 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

fillum wrote: »

Yes, its a pain in the backside but after driving the car I got used to what is available and I did not miss car play. The Nav with the live traffic is the most accurate I have used and certainly pre-covid saved me hours of being stuck in traffic. Also I have converted to spotify

The problem is that to get the value from it you need connected services which will run out after 3 years and then become subscription based:mad:

The latest version of car play had some features that I really liked so I decided to retro fit car play in my I3. I bought the kit from UAD below with a discount code and fitted it myself as it was really simple to do. I cannot fault it for ease of use and quality. If it means that much ask the dealer for a final 500eur reduction and buy the kit, you will not regret either purchase.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-bmw-i3-widescreen-8-8/

All I care about is controlling spotify and tunein which the i3 at least from 2017 can do provided it has the upgraded media professional or whatever they call it.

my 2017 just needs a cable, have the spotify app open and within 30 seconds it should show up in the media menu on the car. Same with tunein only tune in hasn't worked for me for quite a while.

I need anything to get me away form the sheer depressing covid-19 talk and adds on the radio it's beyond a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

My OH's 192 i3 has CarPlay. It's a work car though, so I don't know what hoops were jumped through to get it.

Chances are though even if the car doesn't have Car Play and it has the media professional then at least Spotify it will still be controllable fully from the car via the cable.

The Voice commands work well too, calling up a name in the phone book works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The Voice commands work well too, calling up a name in the phone book works well.

You think so? I find it atrocious. I basically never use it.

Funbily enough when I had a BMW X1 as a courtesy car for a weekend I found the voice recognition vastly better.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    You think so? I find it atrocious. I basically never use it.

Funbily enough when I had a BMW X1 as a courtesy car for a weekend I found the voice recognition vastly better.

Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Works for me......... My dad with his thick heavy Kerry accent is a different story though:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement