Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Diamond League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

She’s in great shape, has the right attitude and has as much of a chance as Muir or Reekie in getting a World or Olympic medal. I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see a whole lot from Hassan again. Muir outside of indoors hasn’t cracked that nut yet. You have to look at the likes of Jenny Simpson and see what she has achieved. That medal is an absolute possibility for Ciara too.

Simpsons pb at 1500 is a lot faster than Magaeen though again. ATM, can't see Magaeen having a shot in a fast race as shes never gone that fast. Best shot is in a slow race where you don't have 800m ones doubling up but need some luck for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

titan18 wrote: »
    Simpsons pb at 1500 is a lot faster than Magaeen though again. ATM, can't see Magaeen having a shot in a fast race as shes never gone that fast. Best shot is in a slow race where you don't have 800m ones doubling up but need some luck for that

Streets ahead of her current 1500m best. ...Looking forward to Stockholm. Was last nights race a slow race? Sure it wasn’t 1500m but slow it wasn’t.

...Championship racing is not all about pbs either. Last years 1500 world final was insane but not a typical Championship race.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

She’s in great shape, has the right attitude and has as much of a chance as Muir or Reekie in getting a World or Olympic medal. I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see a whole lot from Hassan again. Muir outside of indoors hasn’t cracked that nut yet. You have to look at the likes of Jenny Simpson and see what she has achieved. That medal is an absolute possibility for Ciara too.

Again, I love Mageean, but all this is wishful thinking imo. She certainly does not have as much of a chance as Muir, Muir can run close to 3:55. And it's not only the likes of Hassan, Kipyegon, Tsegay and Dibaba she has to worry about, there's the likes of Houlihan and Debuis Stafford as well. Everyone I've mentioned bar Muir and Debuis Stafford can run sub 3:55, Mageean has yet to crack sub 4. She's got a similar PB to Eilish McColgan and, as much as I like Eilish, I don't ever see her medalling above European level. Ciara would need to shave at least 3 second off her PB, get lucky with a depleted field and maybe a faller or two to ever stand a chance, and I can't see that happening. Bettering her bronze at European level is a very attainable goal imo. Hopefully I'm totally wrong, but I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I don't see Ciara winning an Olympic medal but her 1500m PB is outdated. With her improvement in form and the shoe advancements I think we will see her break Sonia's 3:58.85 in the coming weeks if she gets in the right race and gets the right conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ciara is clearly hitting her peak performance now...she must be late 20s age now....ideal time to peak

How long this spell lasts is key....

Under good conditions she should definitely be very close to Sonia's 1500 record...she has the legs to do it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

walshb wrote: »
    Ciara is clearly hitting her peak performance now...she must be late 20s age now....ideal time to peak

Under good conditions she should definitely be very close to Sonia's 1500 record...she has the legs to do it....

Ciara is racing 1500 in Stockholm on Sunday. Good field lined up
    https://twitter.com/jgault13/status/1295423606525231105?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

walshb wrote: »

She’s 28. Not sure a “spell” is the word I would use. She has got herself into a good set up in Manchester under Steve Vernon and I think the dividends are paying out now. Yes hopefully consistency in performances but she is in a better place in terms of her athletic career than ever before.

The time on Friday would suggest she’ll better Sonia’s record in the 15. And I do believe she has the ability to get the big prizes on the world stage. Whether it happens or not Is another thing but it’s certainly beyond just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She’s 28. Not sure a “spell” is the word I would use. She has got herself into a good set up in Manchester under Steve Vernon and I think the dividends are paying out now. Yes hopefully consistency in performances but she is in a better place in terms of her athletic career than ever before.

The time on Friday would suggest she’ll better Sonia’s record in the 15. And I do believe she has the ability to get the big prizes on the world stage. Whether it happens or not Is another thing but it’s certainly beyond just wishful thinking.

I think athletes hit their absolute prime for a short enough time..

Sports like track are easier to measure...

Timeframe? Probably a year in their life where their whole makeup, body, feeling and training and preparation are at their best..

Then other factors like a bit of “luck,” good conditions can play a part..

Bolt a good example. 2009 really was his time, even though post Berlin he spoke of getting faster..I knew he would not..

Both Berlin races were his perfection..Everything was in its correct place for that time..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Live coverage of Stokholm on BBC1 tomorrow, from 14:50 to 17:05. Lots of big features in this one, but Ciara in the 1500m at 16:55, will be the main event for Irish viewers.
    https://www.athleticsweekly.com/event-news/stockholm-diamond-league-who-what-and-when-1039931644/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Warholm tapped the last hurdle and lost about 2 tenths there. The world record is his for the taking. Stockholm doesn't lend itself to great camera angles, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Live coverage of Stokholm on BBC1 tomorrow, from 14:50 to 17:05. Lots of big features in this one, but Ciara in the 1500m at 16:55, will be the main event for Irish viewers.
    https://www.athleticsweekly.com/event-news/stockholm-diamond-league-who-what-and-when-1039931644/
    Correction: 15:55 for Mageean. Was looking at CET.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

That new long jump format is appalling. Every previous jump is discounted unless all three final round jumpers fail or tie their jumps. So, if the first two jumpers fail, then the final jumper merely has to hit the board and land in the pit to win, regardless of the distance they jump. As one jumper put it...'they are diminishing the effort of the majority of the field to create a faux drama of a last round mini final'. I agree — competely reductive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Correction: 15:55 for Mageean. Was looking at CET.

Wow, an off day, shall we say.

Muir looked her usual self.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oof, bad day for Mageean. Still she's been unreal recently so I think we'll allow her this one :)

Helen Obiri too though! Second to last with a 4:10 approx time. Brilliant last lap from Laura Muir.

Women's 1000m added to Brussels lineup on Friday, Faith Kipyegon going for the world record.

Sifan Hassan going against Brigid Kosgei for the women's hour record. Hope Hassan is in better shape for that, could be an interesting race.

Farah racing the men's hour also, whilst Jakob has been added to the men's 1500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

On tv?

On tv?

YouTube/Facebook only I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

YouTube/Facebook only I think.

Yep. World Athletics YouTube and FB.

BBC are showing live UK Champs instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Mo going for hour world record. A soft one at 21.285km when half is 58.01

I guess Mo is desperate for a world record to his name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

I was thinking that on my own little jog this morning. That's a meaningless record in all honesty. Any Half run under 59 mins beats that record. Jeez, a little walk/jog after a 59 min Half would get you the extra 190 metres within the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

While definitely achievable I dunno if you could describe it as completely soft. Road and track running over those distances would us different muscles (track tends to use same muscles more repetitive where as undulation on roads can actually exhaust different fibres) It's why rarely athletes are dominant over flat as well as hilly marathons as it is not just about strength/speed

Remember Geb has run significantly faster over 10k, HM and Marathon and all before the Nike era and was still running 26.50 the year he set that 1hr record.

Also worth remembering that the Alphaflies can't be used given it is a track race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭4Ad

Ladies 1hr World Record for Hassan..

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

21.33 For Lawler coming from Lane 1. Good to see him getting a chance competing at the top stage.

4Ad wrote: »
    Ladies 1hr World Record for Hassan..

And with considerable ease. Maybe kicking herself a bit she just missed 19km!

Kipyegon just misses the kilometre world record. And now to see if Farah can do what Hassan did..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭4Ad

I like the trackside pace lighting..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

4Ad wrote: »
    I like the trackside pace lighting..

Yeah they're good not ao sure about the super imposed WR runner though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I thought that was a great evening of athletics always fun to see some different events always nice to top it off with a couple of new records!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

jimmii wrote: »
    I thought that was a great evening of athletics always fun to see some different events always nice to top it off with a couple of new records!

Yeah always fantastic to see a juiced runner break a WR.........

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I thought that man on he outside would have done faster if he kept to the inside. All does extra metres running in around lane 3 was always going to add up.

In half they'd be going up and down. Yes it is pancake flat as we would say but you'd run further than the distance. I still think he could have gone faster than the nearly 4 seconds a km slower. Did Kamworor wear a shoe Mo couldn't?

• Advertisement

Cheptegei going for the 10,000m world record in Valencia on October 7th.

Advertisement