Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homeless man begging at coolmine spar

• 13-08-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all. Long time Boards lurker, just joined today. Just wanted to ask anyone around the coolmine/Clonsilla area if they’ve had any dealings with the homeless guy in the Spar car park. He sleeps in a tent on the Clonsilla road opposite Spar and Molloys. He seems to be there most mornings, begging outside the shop doorway. Anyway, on two occasions he’s intimidated my wife and daughters, shouting and swearing at them for no apparent reason, following them etc(we live very nearby). My kids are afraid to go to the shops now because of it. I know it’s a trivial matter, but should I speak to him? Or speak to the staff in Spar? I wouldn’t like to go to the Gardai with such a minor issue. All advice appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

It’s not a trivial matter! If someone has intimidated your wife and children, you need to go and speak with the Community Gardaí for your area without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Hi all. Long time Boards lurker, just joined today. Just wanted to ask anyone around the coolmine/Clonsilla area if they’ve had any dealings with the homeless guy in the Spar car park. He sleeps in a tent on the Clonsilla road opposite Spar and Molloys. He seems to be there most mornings, begging outside the shop doorway. Anyway, on two occasions he’s intimidated my wife and daughters, shouting and swearing at them for no apparent reason, following them etc(we live very nearby). My kids are afraid to go to the shops now because of it. I know it’s a trivial matter, but should I speak to him? Or speak to the staff in Spar? I wouldn’t like to go to the Gardai with such a minor issue. All advice appreciated.

I would be careful. I think the poor chap has mental health issues or is on some form of strong medication. I see him most mornings dancing on the side of the Clonsilla road shouting. Let the guards deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Go to the garda.

I'm shocked you can think that a deranged man following your children is a minor issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Theres nothing the shop staff can do about it. And being honest the guards probably cant do much either for someone shouting at someone, unless he put his hands on them then its a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

That beside the Carpenter pub? I've been infrequently visiting there for the last 10+ years (in-laws live up near Leo) and have found it weird that there has always been some homeless/beggar person at that Spar entrance. Seems unusual for a suburb especially so considering the prices of the houses around there.

Anyway, sorry for the trouble OP, you just sparked a memory

• Advertisement

I'd echo the thoughts of those that say this is not a trivial matter. You've people afraid to go to the shop and people being followed home. Where's the possible escalation from there before it's not trivial? (that's rhetorical).
    theteal wrote: »
    That beside the Carpenter pub? Seems unusual for a suburb especially so considering the prices of the houses around there.

A lot of begging is organised and there are set areas. In a certain city, for example, it's the council bins on main street that designate their "catchment area". From the window of a restaurant overlooking the street you can see the ground troops getting instructions from a "lieutenant" and sometimes handing over money. Maybe this guy has been allocated this area?

It may sound harsh, but giving money to these people can be facilitating organised crime. Social services in this country are very good and they are best suited to helping people in genuine need. People genuinely think they are doing the right thing giving beggars money, so no blame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

I've seen this guy alot, and haven't witnessed for myself the above. I thought he was keeping to himself and I wouldn't have had a problem with that personally. He has been moved by the council..... 10 feet from there he was. I am very surprised the guards haven't moved him at this stage. I hope he gets the help he obviously requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

That beside the Carpenter pub? I've been infrequently visiting there for the last 10+ years (in-laws live up near Leo) and have found it weird that there has always been some homeless/beggar person at that Spar entrance. Seems unusual for a suburb especially so considering the prices of the houses around there.

Leo doesn't live up that way anymore ;)

It's down near coolmine the OP is talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Sorry to hear that, OP. I've seen him there every morning when I drive past and never knew he was up to that kind of thing. As mentioned by previous posters, I think you should speak to the Guards about him. No point in you potentially getting into a spot of bother yourself by confronting him. The staff at Spar won't be in a position to do anything I would imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Tall to the guards. They will move him but he will be back. Similar issue outside a shop I use. Shop can do little. Guards will probably as i said move him but he will return. In general I have found beggars are becoming more aggressive. One attacked my brother and his friend with a crutch last year. It didnt end to good for him. He dropped his crutch swinging it and that was all she wrote.

• Advertisement

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Leo doesn't live up that way anymore ;)

It's down near coolmine the OP is talking about

OT but Leo's apartment overlooks Coolmine Station, 100m up the road from the Spar I'm thinking about - unless he has very recently moved. I'm not hugely familiar with the area so I may well be talking about a different Spar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

OT but Leo's apartment overlooks Coolmine Station, 100m up the road from the Spar I'm thinking about - unless he has very recently moved

I was thinking that the picture he tweeted around the first week of July about setting up a home workspace looked an awful lot like it was still looking out from the top of those apartments, but the above post made me second guess myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Take his cup.

If you had read the OP, it clearly states where the incident took place!
    He sleeps in a tent on the Clonsilla road opposite Spar and Molloys. He seems to be there most mornings, begging outside the shop doorway. Anyway, on two occasions he’s intimidated my wife and daughters, shouting and swearing at them for no apparent reason

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If you had read the OP, it clearly states where the incident took place!

Touchy. I did read it, I just didn't happen to google map the street name and hence I asked the question. I'm not from the area and don't know the surrounds at all, I do however know Coolmine Station and the closest Spar to it is up the road beside the Carpenter pub - where I have witnessed people begging pretty much every time I've visited. I offer my sincerest apologies for making such a heinous mixup.

Touchy. I did read it, I just didn't happen to google map the street name and hence I asked the question. I'm not from the area and don't know the surrounds at all, I do however know Coolmine Station and the closest Spar to it is up the road beside the Carpenter pub - where I have witnessed people begging pretty much every time I've visited. I offer my sincerest apologies for making such a heinous mixup.
    As you don’t know the area or are aware of the individual concerned. Perhaps it might be better to acquire some knowledge before rushing in with a number of comments that are not relevant to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

And you haven’t lamped him yet because?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op needs to contact Garda, council and political figures for the area.....

Shocking that people have to pussy foot around a person that is dangerous just because they have mental issues.... We should be looking after our kids and society as a whole but yet we need to bend over and take anything that's thrown at us and just go ah sure they're mental or have mental issues and nothing can be done....

Dublin city is absolutely full of people like this and many I see are foreign and have huge issues, talking and shouting to nobody or god or something else, see the devil you name it....

Where is the institution's or hospital to help? Oh yeah most shut or beds removed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ok lets not advocate violence here thanks. OP if you're being harrassed go to the police.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement