Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driveway Design

Options
  • 08-08-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are at the stage now of putting down the kerbing for the driveway and I would like to get some sketches done to show what each proposal would look like.
    I'm not looking for anything to scale - just a decent drawing to show what it would actually look like as there are some disagreements as to how it should look.

What I thought I could do would be to photograph the area and ask a designer to do some renders of what they would actually look like. The issue is that some cannot see what the proposals will look like and my sketches are not good enough!

Would the designer on peopleperhour or something like that be able to do some quick drafts for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Landscape architect.
    What’s the budget for the design?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Gumbo wrote: »
    Landscape architect.
    What’s the budget for the design?

I'm not sure how much work is involved for them so no idea how much it should be, that was to be my next question.

I just need a visualisation of what 2 or 3 options would look like. I don't need anything formal for builders or planners.

What price should I be looking to pay for some drawings to visualise the lines of a driveway?
    Should I be looking for 3D or 2D drawings?

However, part of the driveway was to be across the front of house - at least 1 car width. I would like it to terminate before the end of the property - just beyond front door and have a pathway around the remainder. Sow as looking for some drawing to visualise both as I think it would be too much area of tarmac.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What price should I be looking to pay for some drawings to visualise the lines of a driveway?
    Should I be looking for 3D or 2D drawings?

However, part of the driveway was to be across the front of house - at least 1 car width. I would like it to terminate before the end of the property - just beyond front door and have a pathway around the remainder. Sow as looking for some drawing to visualise both as I think it would be too much area of tarmac.

2d be cheaper than 3D.
    I don’t know anyone that has every requested 3D drawings of their driveway design, other than those guys on MTV Cribs.

I’d hazard a guess at anywhere from 500-1000 depending on who you use.
    Get 3 quotes from suitably qualified people and take it from there.

May be an architect, technician, landscape architect, somebody with cad skills etc

Okay - thats a lot more expensive than I was expecting for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Okay - thats a lot more expensive than I was expecting for some reason.

Most people will want to come and take their own photos and measurements. Then they'll need to draw it up on the computer and then render it and possibly bring it into photoshop after and do this for each option. It's time consuming and a lot more work than you'd think.

Most people use the computers to create 3D computer views now rather than take out the markers and do up a sketch. The 3D computer view is slower but a lot more accurate and realistic looking.

If it's the position of the kerb could you not get a can of spray paint to mark it out on the ground and then get a few samples of the paving and kerbing you want and lay them out. This is what usually happens.

Yeah - might end up doing that instead. Problem is that they have problems visualising what I'm talking about.

Just stumbled upon this again. In the end I got someone on peopleperhour.com to do the drawings for me.

Very pleased with the outcome and helped me show that my ideas looked the part. Cost about £75.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Glad it worked out.

I think the talk of 3D renders was a it crazy. This was something that could be knocked out in an hour ur two with colouring pencils

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Who is more qualified to design functionality of a driveway, architects or landscape architects?

• Advertisement

I had an idea of what I wanted. Send them photos of the area and they rendered them and designed in what I wanted. Made some suggestions and that was that.

Advertisement