Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any good PC horror games with weapons?

Options
  • 16-08-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the "no weapons" type of game i.e. running around a house for 100 hours picking up cups and looking at magazines.

I prefer games in the style of resident evil 2 and resident evil 7 where I can blast some heads while still having a good horror element. Dying light was also great.

Any recommendations for PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Dead Space series ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

c - 13 wrote: »
    Dead Space series ?

Played them all. Good games.
    glasso wrote: »
    Old but....

Hmm .. maybe a bit too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Metro series maybe? FEAR, perhaps (if it's not too old). The Evil Within games (especially the sequel) are good fun. Alien: Isolation would be my top recommendation, but sounds like it'd be too lacking in weapons for your liking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Theres "The Evil within" games, i played the first one and found it pretty decent, the second ones meant to be better. If you're looking for something to fill the RE void, they'd prob be your best bet.

Another which stands out from recollection is the F.E.A.R series, but might be dated, i only played the first i think, remember it being good.

Everything else is sneaking and hiding.. :(

EDIT: Doh! Crispy beat me to it, thats what i get for going afk mid posting :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Prey 2017 maybe?

+1 for fear , first one especially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Danjalical

Blood - Fresh Supply while old is a great game with plenty of amazing guns and a very good 'horror' homage to old films from the 70s & 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'd recommend Prey. I thought was that a cracker although maybe not overly scary especially if I was able to play it cos I don't do well with horror games normally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Don't dismiss Condemned. I found it brilliant and the second one too but mind you I did play them when released years ago. But despite it's age I'd still recommend you play them. You'd pick them up for the price of a bar of chocolate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If you're not keen on old maybe you wouldn't be interested in Quake but it really is a classic. I have it on Steam and I find myself going back to it the whole time, it's a quality game for a play through every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

You mentioned Dying Light so Dead Island could be an option if you've not already played it. Released before DL and by the same devs, more melee focussed and without the parkour element.

Alan Wake also, 3rd person not unlike resident evil gameplay-wise. Wasn't a massive fan myself but it's well regarded.

I'll add +1 for Prey, as others have said it's not horror per se but it definitely has its moments and is a great game in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Alan wake has great suspense and story but not much variety to the combat or adversaries. The plot got me through it but I find the gameplay annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

Danjalical wrote: »
    Blood - Fresh Supply while old is a great game with plenty of amazing guns and a very good 'horror' homage to old films from the 70s & 80s
    had blood 2 the choosen in 2003 on a old win95 PC and redneck rampage...:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Penumbra feels like a 'no weapons' horror but with limited melee weirdly enough. Alien Isolation is another horror with primary focus on survival. Combat is a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

There's a nice indie game called "them and us" I'm playing ATM it's a homage to the old resi games with a choice between fixed camera and over the shoulder just got a big update aswell.
    Also daymare 1998 and I'd recommend evil within 2 thought it was a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

7 Days to Die.

Kinda fits with that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Cordell

IMHO The Evil Within games and Prey 2017 got the perfect balance between survival horrors and shooters.
    Dying Light was excellent but OP already played it. Dead Island is more zombie bashing fest than horror, still fun though.

Alien : Isolation tops all those games when it comes to atmosphere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Im gonna throw in Control into the mix. Its horror ish...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its a mind fvck mystery shooter with super powers, its far from horror :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I've played most of the games mentioned here except for Daymare, 7 days to die and Daymare.

Wasn't really a fan of alien isolation. Too much hiding and running away. Also, final boss was a couple of switches and buttons... wtf? In an Alien game. I was pretty disappointed in it.

I found that on my googles, looks pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Zombie Army 3 or 4 will keep you busy in terms of shooting and weapons. You can play co-op online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'm not a fan of the "no weapons" type of game i.e. running around a house for 100 hours picking up cups and looking at magazines.

I prefer games in the style of resident evil 2 and resident evil 7 where I can blast some heads while still having a good horror element. Dying light was also great.

Any recommendations for PC?
    If you liked the original Resident Evil 2, you'll like Dino Crisis. Not strictly horror, but a few scares there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

The FEAR trilogy is pretty good. First 2 are a bit dated but still fun.

Metro Games, Dead Space worth a look as well.

Other than that you've probably played most of the higher profile ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

In defence of Dead Space it has aged really well. I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Farming Simulator 19, its horrible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vicxas wrote: »
    In defence of Dead Space it has aged really well. I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

It's always been Resident Evil 4 - lite to me. The first has issues with it getting very repetitive after the opening chapters and the second is more standard action with the horror replaced by boring jump scares and gore. Both suffer from not having enough variety in their set pieces. And the storylines are kind of crap.

That's not to say they are bad just Resident Evil 4 is a high bar to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

nix wrote: »
    Its a mind fvck mystery shooter with super powers, its far from horror :p

It's got some good creeping horror, plus
    there's that massive boss contained inside the fridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Not scary but I found the two Dead Island games tremendous fun, some of the weapons you can make are deadly, some quality zombie smashing goodness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement