Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preferred brands for kitchen appliances

Options
  • 14-08-2020 5:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

if you were buying a home, say, where you had to buy all of the kitchen appliances yourself (as opposed to a complete kitchen renovation where you can customize a lot more), are there particular brands you’d look for for certain appliances? Or features/functions that you’d want them to include?

Our current rental house has a Samsung fridge freezer and we’ve had loads of issues with it, so I know I’d stay away from that brand in the future for instance! But I love an American style fridge freezer, and I like the idea of a water/ice dispenser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think it could be just down to luck sometimes, we have a Samsung American fridge and never had any issues. We also have a Samsung hob and oven and again no issues 11 years on.

I couldn't tell you the name of the washing machine and dishwasher as we're on our 2nd maybe third in the same time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Had you asked a few year back I would have said Zanussi ...but I honestly don’t think the brand is what it used to be. Never had any issues for years with the older appliances.
    New kitchen a few years back with everything new and again Went with the trusted Zanussi but unfortunately out of all the appliances the oven is only thing we haven’t a problem with. So many brands now being made by the one company and I don’t think brand name matters as much it used to.
    Unless of course you are going to the very top end brands .. neff and the likes would want to top class for the price you will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

New house 7 years ago, so had to buy everything, all Bosch appliances except the fridge freezer(not American) which is Samsung which is the only thing we've had problems with (twice).
    If we were flush we would have possibly gone for Miele, have one of their hoovers and it's way better than a Dyson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Siemens for all but the Liebherr fridge for me. Great ovens and hobs!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bosch. Reliable, serviceable, good parts supply. Decent warranties of up to 10 years based on price.

Siemens is Bosch rebadged - used to be a joint venture but Bosch bought them out. Bosch Serie 6 is going to be as good as the Siemens if not better but without paying the name licence fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd buy another Electrolux oven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My washing machine, hob and dishwasher are Bosch and I'm very happy with them. I think this is my third Bosch washing machine. At the moment I have an Electrolux double oven (I had two Bellings before that) and I'm really happy with that too. I have a huge Fisher & Paykel fridge freezer the size of an American one, it's almost 13 years old and still perfect. It doesn't have the water/ice dispenser though. Something to bear in mind when buying a fridge/freezer is to make sure it's a frost free one because you never have to defrost the freezer, plus the fridge part never gets smelly. They're a bit noisier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd buy another Electrolux oven.

I've an electrolux gas hob,and it's brutal , I have to bang it to get the flame lit , and the metal pot stands crack ..
    I have an ancient zanussi washing machine , 20 / 25 years old ,works perfectly ( looks rough out ) ,
    Ancient Miele dishwasher , I miss my dishwasher ,ex-wife has it ..
    And the cheapo philips hoover is way better than the corded dyson it replaced..( cordless dysons are handy but suction is poor and what a price )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Nothing by Glen Dimplex, complete and utter shîte
    Faith wrote: »
    if you were buying a home, say, where you had to buy all of the kitchen appliances yourself (as opposed to a complete kitchen renovation where you can customize a lot more), are there particular brands you’d look for for certain appliances? Or features/functions that you’d want them to include?

Our current rental house has a Samsung fridge freezer and we’ve had loads of issues with it, so I know I’d stay away from that brand in the future for instance! But I love an American style fridge freezer, and I like the idea of a water/ice dispenser.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,878 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Markcheese wrote: »
    I've an electrolux gas hob,and it's brutal , I have to bang it to get the flame lit , and the metal pot stands crack ..
    I have an ancient zanussi washing machine , 20 / 25 years old ,works perfectly ( looks rough out ) ,
    And the cheapo philips hoover is way better than the corded dyson it replaced..( cordless dysons are handy but suction is poor and what a price )

Just watch out... what a brand was like 20 years ago can often bear no relation to its current quality.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Also a lot of brands are produced by the same overall company, can't remember the list now but I was thinking of buying a dryer lately and was given the list to avoid by a friend in a related business. Bosch definitely wasn't on it though as that is what I have decided on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Normally Bosch is the first place I'd look. Had a bit of a gamble on a Hisense washing machine which hasn't skipped a beat for 3 years now so we'll see how long that lives. I would go as far as to completely avoid Samsung (for everything, TVs included) and having spoken to a local repair guy, he says the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Faith wrote: »

Instead of a combined fridge freezer, we put in a tall larder fridge and tall larder freezer side by side.
    Both are Siemens, and were 1500 for the pair. Very happy with the look and the functionality. Much better than a single combined unit.

When it comes to appliances like dishwashers and washing machines, I place a significant value on how quiet they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

For the most part it doesn't matter too much anymore

A lot of them are just re brands of the other and for the most part the technology the same.

Like anything you might get unlucky and get a "Friday" one.

If you're getting a new kitchen some of the kitchen places have deals with some brands that you can get discounts on while buying the kitchen.

Markcheese wrote: »

Funny, I put it a really cheap whirlpool gas hob 20 years ago and it's still functioning perfectly - even the ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We changed our kitchen last year and I found choosing the appliances the most difficult part. Everyone has a different opinion so it gets confusing when one person is singing a brand’s praises and another is telling you to avoid it like the plague. We narrowed down our choices based on functions/looks/price and then checked Which for reviews which helped a lot. Ended up with a Bosch hob, AEG double oven and built-in microwave, Siemens dishwasher and Electrolux fridge-freezer. We’d originally chosen a Neff dishwasher but a really helpful salesperson in Harvey Norman pointed out an issue with it and we had limited choice with the fridge because we wanted a 50/50 one but we’re happy with everything so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We picked whatever we liked. I'm pretty relaxed about brands but only thing I don't want to see in the kitchen again is Fischer and Paykel double drawer dishwasher. It was replaced after three years by Bosch something or other and that one mostly works fine (full wash twice per day). Other appliances are mix of cheap stuff and some more premium models but everything is working more or less fine for the last 11 years. We picked our fridge because we liked the look of it and some other things were picked because we liked the features they have (5 gas burners for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The one thing I have done a lot over the years is fix my white goods which at time mrs snapper thought they were for graveyard...

Cooker ..... we had a lot of problems with our zannusi oven , which was weird because I knew 3 other persons with same oven and theirs worked perfect .....i replaced element and thermostat and it worked for while then went again within 12 months , I replaced thermostat again and it's worked perfect now for past 3 years.... I still reakon it was faulty out of box but it's fixed now.

Dishwasher ..... again mrs snapper started looking at new dishwashers and I told her out nordmende was expensive and we only had it 3.5 years ... should last way longer ....
    Took it to pieces and found a gold bracelet tangled up around neck of a part...... she got 2 presents in one day.... worked perfect for past 2 years....

Tumble drier zanussi ..... 15 years we have had this beauty and it stopped heating .... this time mrs snapper had a bit of faith in me and I took it apart and belt was snapped .... 7 euros and about an hour work and it's going again perfect....

Washing machine Beko ....
    Leaking a lot of water ... again was 5 years old, I'd imagine should last a bit longer .... this time I went to recycle centre and took a few parts off machines and fixed it for free ... it was a rubber seal.

I'd strongly recommend people try and fix there appliances, they are very basic inside really , take pictures and videos as you go for reference.... and youtube has saved me loads of money and grey hairs....

As for brands .... as with a lit you get what you pay for .... I like zannusi, nordmende. Beko are ok aswell.

We had a cracking fridge years ago and it needed a new circuit board and we were to impatient to wait for part and scrapped it and bought a new one, ...bloody hate that new fridge , my neighbor has that same old fridge and has lasted years years ...I thats one that slipped through net ... ... we both cant wait for this fridge to break....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The one thing I have done a lot over the years is fix my white goods which at time mrs snapper thought they were for graveyard...

Cooker ..... we had a lot of problems with our zannusi oven , which was weird because I knew 3 other persons with same oven and theirs worked perfect .....i replaced element and thermostat and it worked for while then went again within 12 months , I replaced thermostat again and it's worked perfect now for past 3 years.... I still reakon it was faulty out of box but it's fixed now.

Dishwasher ..... again mrs snapper started looking at new dishwashers and I told her out nordmende was expensive and we only had it 3.5 years ... should last way longer ....
    Took it to pieces and found a gold bracelet tangled up around neck of a part...... she got 2 presents in one day.... worked perfect for past 2 years....

Tumble drier zanussi ..... 15 years we have had this beauty and it stopped heating .... this time mrs snapper had a bit of faith in me and I took it apart and belt was snapped .... 7 euros and about an hour work and it's going again perfect....

Washing machine Beko ....
    Leaking a lot of water ... again was 5 years old, I'd imagine should last a bit longer .... this time I went to recycle centre and took a few parts off machines and fixed it for free ... it was a rubber seal.

I'd strongly recommend people try and fix there appliances, they are very basic inside really , take pictures and videos as you go for reference.... and youtube has saved me loads of money and grey hairs....

As for brands .... as with a lit you get what you pay for .... I like zannusi, nordmende. Beko are ok aswell.

We had a cracking fridge years ago and it needed a new circuit board and we were to impatient to wait for part and scrapped it and bought a new one, ...bloody hate that new fridge , my neighbor has that same old fridge and has lasted years years ...I thats one that slipped through net ... ... we both cant wait for this fridge to break....

Excellent post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Funny, I put it a really cheap whirlpool gas hob 20 years ago and it's still functioning perfectly - even the ignition.

I had a 30 yr old Whirlpool hob until recently when a burner gave up, my favourite one :) The guy I asked to fix it said it was no longer compliant with regs and he wouldn't be able to get parts anyway so I had to buy a new one, don't like it as much as I did my old one though.

Only got rid of my original Whirlpool 30 yr old fridge last year but the Whirlpool oven I put in when I built the house was rubbish altogether and is long gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Bosch, Miele, Siemens

Good German brands. Durable and long lasting.

Most of your Zanussi/Candy/Whirlpool really just aren't going to last.

In my view buy the best your pocket can afford.

We had a Whirlpool washer/dryer and a dishwasher. Washer went 2 or 3 times. Guarantee isn't worth a damn...you still pay call-out fee. Dishwasher was ok, but gave up after 6 years.

phormium wrote: »
    I had a 30 yr old Whirlpool hob until recently when a burner gave up, my favourite one :) The guy I asked to fix it said it was no longer compliant with regs and he wouldn't be able to get parts anyway so I had to buy a new one, don't like it as much as I did my old one though.

Only got rid of my original Whirlpool 30 yr old fridge last year but the Whirlpool oven I put in when I built the house was rubbish altogether and is long gone!

Yup, I had a rubbish whirlpool double oven that I retired after about 7 or 8 years, I'd say.
    Pure crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

We changed our kitchen last year and I found choosing the appliances the most difficult part. Everyone has a different opinion so it gets confusing when one person is singing a brand’s praises and another is telling you to avoid it like the plague.

I think thats the exact problem when asking questions about what brands of kitchen appliances are good. Some people will have Brand X for the last 10 years and rave on about it. But how the brand was 10 years ago is not an indication that it is the same now, it may not be as these brands can change hands often enough. Amazon reviews can also throw you as many people write them just a few weeks or a month after buying the appliance when naturally it is going to be working well with no problems. What they are reviewing after just a few weeks of ownership is its looks and performance, not its longevity. Its very rare you see a reviewer come back three years later and say it broke down and they had to replace it.

If I were buying new kitchen appliances I think the best place to get unbiased and well tested information is from Which? magazines website. Their engineers put kitchen appliances of all the main brands through the same tests so you get consistent comparisons of appliances that are on the market right now. They open up washing machines, dishwashers, etc to see the build quality inside them. They have a trial for £1 which allows you to get lots of thorough reviews and info on all their tests, I think its well worth it to get the most recent information.

I re-did the kitchen about.. 4 years ago I think. At the time, my mindset was "a fridge is a fridge", "a hob is a hob", etc. and as a result, went with the cheapest options that had any kind of half-decent spec and looked like they'd go with the kitchen aesthetically. I think the majority of our stuff is Beko.

In the four years since, my mindset has remained that "a fridge is a fridge" - Never had a single issue with any of the appliances in the few years they've been there, and all are used daily.

Unless you've got money to willingly spend on brand names then I'd just do what I did. Personally, I'm not a "brand" person in any aspect of my life really; I tend to buy for practicality, and it worked out for me on the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We have a De Dietrich dishwasher and has been going strong now for about 17 years - the oven was same brand and was grand until about 4 years ago when had to replace - got a hotpoint this time I think, only recently had to have it fixed as the element was gone and turned out there was something wrong with the fan too - working again now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Another fan of Bosch here. It's a reliable brand, but I wouldn't go for the entry level models. Very happy with all the appliances I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Moved house 9 years ago and had to leave a few built ins behind.
    Oven - had an electrolux dbl for nearly 10 years which was great so got the corresponding one in a newer range and I can't wait to get rid of it. I bake a lot and has never been right, not wildly bad but just not accurate enough for me. Will get neff, miele or Bosch next time.
    Had a Siemens fridge freezer which was fab, had it over 15 years but had begun to make a small bit of noise and then abuse from my 3 lads over the years had loosened the hinges a bit so we called it a day a few months ago. Replaced with a Bosch and delighted with it.
    Have had an under counter freezer for nearly 15 years by Beko and never a problem. Dishwasher also Beko, 9 years now no probs. Got a Hoover washing machine which lasted just until a month after the warranty expired and hadn't the time to be fighting it with a new baby so replaced with a Beko and it's been great, about 6 or 7 years now. Electrolux gas hob no probs and picked up a Zanussi condenser dryer second hand about 8 years ago and never an ounce of trouble, although not used as much as other families I know. For small appliances I'm Kenwood all the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

meeeeh wrote: »
    We picked whatever we liked. I'm pretty relaxed about brands but only thing I don't want to see in the kitchen again is Fischer and Paykel double drawer dishwasher. It was replaced after three years by Bosch something or other and that one mostly works fine (full wash twice per day). Other appliances are mix of cheap stuff and some more premium models but everything is working more or less fine for the last 11 years. We picked our fridge because we liked the look of it and some other things were picked because we liked the features they have (5 gas burners for example).

Same here - we had nothing but problems and it only lasted a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My parents got a kitchen about 10 years ago and it came with all Nordmende appliances as part of the deal.

Every single appliance had to be either repaired or replaced entirely within the first 4 years . Dishwasher , hob , washing machine . Never again and once the warranty was up the crowd who did the repairs and servicing didn't want to know cause the parts were so hard to get people would never wait and pay what it would cost. Biggest pile of ****e of a brand ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'll be honest, brand would come far behind functionality, BER rating, price and look in my list of important boxes to be ticked. It needs to do what I want it to do, do so economically, and look right in the kitchen.

That said, there is one brand I'd go back to if ever I needed a new oven, and that's Neff. I've got one with the sliding oven door, and I don't think I'd ever want an oven that doesn't have that.
    Other than that, I'd look at any brand for anything.

Advertisement