Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

• 15-08-2020 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭

Is there another way of looking at it?
    It’s still very, very divided, and actually seems to be getting more polarized over the last five years. It’s economy is woeful, very heavily dependent on the public sector.
    Unionists are making plans to celebrate its centenary, but there seems to be very little to be happy with, certainly far less than the Republic or the rest of the UK.
    No point in arguing about a border poll on this thread, but is there any possible way of looking at NI as a social, political and economic failure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Is there another way of looking at it?
    It’s still very, very divided, and actually seems to be getting more polarized over the last five years. It’s economy is woeful, very heavily dependent on the public sector.
    Unionists are making plans to celebrate its centenary, but there seems to be very little to be happy with, certainly far less than the Republic or the rest of the UK.
    No point in arguing about a border poll on this thread, but is there any possible way of looking at NI as a social, political and economic failure?

I love it. Some of the best people in the world. If you want to take control of it then be prepared for and pay for republican areas within NI to have the
    Highest sickness levels outside of Africa. The WHO were going to send a crack team to republican west Belfast due to their “sickness” levels.

It’s a horrible place full of hate like you’d never experience anywhere else. It’s a failure in the sense that it hasn’t become the apartheid state it was meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

timthumbni wrote: »
    I love it. Some of the best people in the world. If you want to take control of it then be prepared for and pay for republican areas within NI to have the
    Highest sickness levels outside of Africa. The WHO were going to send a crack team to republican west Belfast due to their “sickness” levels.
    Not forgetting the number of people with replacement kneecaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

These criticisms of the poorer Catholic areas have a certain amount of validity, but isn’t that indicative of how the whole Northern Ireland project has failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

These criticisms of the poorer Catholic areas...

He'd be better off concerning himself with young Protestants who are falling behind their Catholic contemporaries in educational attainment.

the Northern Irish economy since 1922 ... has been an economic disaster for the people of Northern Ireland ... the Republic’s industrial output is now ten times greater than that of Northern Ireland. Exports from the Republic are €89 billion while from the North, exports are a paltry €6 billion. Producing 15 times more exports underscores a vast difference in terms of the globalisation of business.

davidmcwilliams.ie

This is all heading in one direction and much quicker than anyone had imagined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

These criticisms of the poorer Catholic areas have a certain amount of validity, but isn’t that indicative of how the whole Northern Ireland project has failed?
    Unionists reading that
    G4D39XF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

This should be a good thread! The way I look at The North is this. Imagine having a house that someone else pays the bills for. So as an Irish person you should claim as much as you can and enjoy the way some sucker picks up the tab !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Some great golfers and snooker players over the years, in fairness.

But yeah, a basket case of a place.

Visited Béal Feirste for the first time a while back, never been in Norn Iron before. Was itching to get out of the place soon after arrival. Was a bit like going to Liverpool except slightly more than 50% of the people hated your very soul once they heard your Fenian Free State accent. Such a negative atmosphere.

Strange place.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

KungPao wrote: »

Visited Béal Feirste for the first time a while back, never been in Norn Iron before. Was itching to get out of the place soon after arrival. Was a bit like going to Liverpool except slightly more than 50% of the people hated your very soul once they heard your Fenian Free State accent. Such a negative atmosphere.

Strange place.

Ha , both communities have chips on their shoulder with “the free state” not just the Proddies

Chippy feckers the lot of them. Be easier if nature wiped them all off then take the land

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Their GDP is a fraction of ours, I thought we were the feckless ones living in hovels with pigs under our arms.

And they're the socially and educationally backward part of the island.

The English just think they're a mad bunch of Scottish infused Micks and for the most part can't or can't be bothered to differentiate between the two communities there whereas they see us in terms of Terry Wogan, Graham Norton, Father Ted, Dara O'Briain, etc.

The Scots, increasingly independence inclined regard their 'brethren' as an embarrassment, an Orange delegation who visited Edinburgh prior to the Sept 2014 referendum to support the No vote were told where to go in nae uncertain terms.

The likes of the DUP are a bit like a bloke you'd walk past on Eden Quay in his pyjama's speaking in tongues.

The place they've ended up in couldn't have happened to nicer people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I live there for most of a year about a decade back. Thought it was a cracking country. Still do. People are sound and it's a beautiful country. As long as you don't go mouthing off about one side or the other of the Unionism/Nationalism debate then you wouldn't have any more bother than you'd expect in any modern country.

Tragic that the Brits have decided to wipe their arse with it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's a basket case, I was born there and lived there til I was 18. Army checkpoints, bomb scares and the rest....
    It has some lovely parts and some fantastic people and other places....like Larne.

KungPao wrote: »

Strange place.

Really? Belfast pre COVID was great for a night out. Anytime I was speaking to tourists they were all praising the city. Far more compact than Dublin which is a positive imo. Also unlike Dublin you won’t be tripping over junkies and the like so it’s pretty safe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Really? Belfast pre COVID was great for a night out. Anytime I was speaking to tourists they were all praising the city. Far more compact than Dublin which is a positive imo. Also unlike Dublin you won’t be tripping over junkies and the like so it’s pretty safe too.

Belfast being a great night out is one of the great urban legends of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Northern Ireland can never be anything but a failure as neither of the two parties ( Labour and conservative) need the votes of people in Northern Ireland to form a government, Northern Ireland has no voice for change

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hard to see what unionists have to celebrate with the demographics time bomb ticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onh81

Disgraceful comment.

Belfast has great bars, loads of hotels, good restaurants and far cheaper than Dublin, much less pretentious and every other person won’t be off their tits asking you for a euro to feed their heroin habit. The opening hours are being extended, Cathedral Quarter (Tribeca) will be having millions pumped into it shortly. Big push with tourism and is becoming increasingly popular with those from the UK as well as those from a Mexican persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Once made the mistake of spending a weekend there. Everything, and I mean everything, was closed on the Sunday. Place is a dump.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

onh81 wrote: »
    as well as those from a Mexican persuasion.

You stay classy, lad.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

I see you're still on full form of posting absolute bollocks.

Derry is far better craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Subjective I guess.
    I've had great nights out there.

gmisk wrote: »
    It's a basket case, I was born there and lived there til I was 18. Army checkpoints, bomb scares and the rest....
    It has some lovely parts and some fantastic people and other places....like Larne.

Same, was mental growing up but it's certainly a lot better now although economically things haven't really progressed as much.

You stay classy, lad.
    Tongue in cheek lad

circadian wrote: »
    Derry is far better craic.

Now that is funny. Belfast is an actual proper city and more importantly isn’t full of the endlessly whining, moaning folk from stroke city. Even the accent would put years on ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why are Nordies so dour and bad-tempered in general? Galway played Tyrone a number of years back in a football match and I’ve never met a bigger bunch of hicks, thicks, and pricks than the Tyrone supporters.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that Nordies tend to have an appalling lack of spelling and grammar skills.

Why are Nordies so dour and bad-tempered in general? Galway played Tyrone a number of years back in a football match and I’ve never met a bigger bunch of hicks, thicks, and pricks than the Tyrone supporters.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that Nordies tend to have an appalling lack of spelling and grammar skills.

Massively so. Their education is horrendous.

That’s Tyrone. The West Virginia of Ireland. Its unfair to judge everyone based on these simple people. Kinda like me judging everyone in the Wesht based on this guy

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/connachttribune.ie/galway-man-gets-three-years-for-incest/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I would not say it is a failure at all. In one way it is a relatively new state. The big problem is the two extreme political sides. with no real central ground anymore it's hard to get things done. One idea is always going to be opposed by the other side and vice versa. If any blame is to be accredited to holding the North back, it is the politicians making hay for themselves. If people wish for a better country, they need to toss off the chain of victimisation and stop voting hardliners that have no real desire to do anything. They, after all, get reelected by constantly banging their drum. So people of the north, take away that drum.

Dan.

Advertisement