Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New HAM First QSO

Comments

Shyboy wrote: »
    OK, no problem Mad_Lad. Yes, I suppose they are more bushes than trees really. I will take a few photos of the whole property later to give you a better idea. There is only one "proper" high tree which is to the left of the back of the house.

The High Voltage line is running high above the house, but more to the front, so I don't think we would be going anywhere near it to be honest.

Or my other option, if everything else fails, is to install a seperate antenna for 80m and leave the one I have for 40m upwards?

You could install a separate antenna for 80 meter long EFHW for 160 it will do 80 M also.

When you send me pics I should have a good idea what's what.

Lads going to give QSO tonight a miss, going to sit on my ass in the sitting room and make some digital contacts. Too tired for going to the shack tonight.

Actually decided to give the radio a miss for one night lol, watching a movie on Netflix.

Sorry Lads, won't be available tonight for QSO, I'll be helping someone get their Kiwi SDR on the air, another one for Ireland :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi Mad Lad, I see sdr.hu is now finished. Is there a direct link to your online sdr now?

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Hi Mad Lad, I see sdr.hu is now finished. Is there a direct link to your online sdr now?

Here's another site that links to Kiwi SDRs. :D

http://kiwisdr.com/public/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thanks a mill Mad Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hello ML having a nice time reading your thread.

73's JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thankfully there are more there. Thanks M. :-)

Greenman wrote: »
    Hello ML having a nice time reading your thread.

73's JD.
    Greenman wrote: »
    Thankfully there are more there. Thanks M. :-)

No bother, unfortunately my Kiwi is offline again due to issues with the reverse proxy. Dam those ISPs for blocking ports.

• Advertisement

Alright Lads, any craic ?

Sorry I haven't been making too much local QSOs lately since I got the MPAS 2.0 I've been happy making lots of DX with the 891.

Anyway, last week a nice delivery of an Acom 1000 Amplifier came to me, all set up and working, nice to have a QRM eliminator for a change.

So if anyone is around Saturday night let me know and we can have a QSO.

Shyboy, did you get anything done with your Antenna since ?

Story lads are ye up for an O'l rag Chew tonight on 80m ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I was not free until now, but I'm up for a chat at some point for sure.

So still available if anyone is up for a qso ?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

So still available if anyone is up for a qso ?

Let me know if you get a Freq. Bands very busy tonite also sent you a pvt message Madlad..

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Alright Lads, any craic ?

Sorry I haven't been making too much local QSOs lately since I got the MPAS 2.0 I've been happy making lots of DX with the 891.

Anyway, last week a nice delivery of an Acom 1000 Amplifier came to me, all set up and working, nice to have a QRM eliminator for a change.

So if anyone is around Saturday night let me know and we can have a QSO.

Shyboy, did you get anything done with your Antenna since ?

Hey Mad_Lad,

Longtime no speak, hope all is well with you and the family? Sorry, I have not been anywhere these forums for the last while and only just seen this message now. After the country opened back up (to a point), it was back to the busy everyday stuff with work and kids sports, etc.

I am slightly ashamed to say that I still have not done anything with the antenna as yet. I was all guns to get it done back in May/June, but other priorities put it to the back of the list, plus I need my brother to call down to give me a hand, which has not happened as yet?

I have been getting plenty of QSO's on mainly 20m and 40m, also a nice few on 15 and 10 when conditions permit. I can still tune the antenna to 80, although it is not efficient, but it scrapes by until I get something sorted.

We are well overdue a QSO. Next Saturday might not be possible for me as a neighbour is getting married and has arranged a small marquee reception which we are invited to. Maybe another night if you are available?

Shyboy wrote: »
    Hey Mad_Lad,

Longtime no speak, hope all is well with you and the family? Sorry, I have not been anywhere these forums for the last while and only just seen this message now. After the country opened back up (to a point), it was back to the busy everyday stuff with work and kids sports, etc.

I am slightly ashamed to say that I still have not done anything with the antenna as yet. I was all guns to get it done back in May/June, but other priorities put it to the back of the list, plus I need my brother to call down to give me a hand, which has not happened as yet?

I have been getting plenty of QSO's on mainly 20m and 40m, also a nice few on 15 and 10 when conditions permit. I can still tune the antenna to 80, although it is not efficient, but it scrapes by until I get something sorted.

We are well overdue a QSO. Next Saturday might not be possible for me as a neighbour is getting married and has arranged a small marquee reception which we are invited to. Maybe another night if you are available?

Sure Saturday week is fine, no problem.

Ah yeah there's lots of contacts to be made but when you want to work 80m on a Saturday night you may have to bribe your kids to watch Netflix or youtube for a while and not turn on the stereo lol.

But since I hope to get set up on the repeater soon it would be another way to chat via radio.

Just on Olivia on 20m tonight, had QSO with lads in Texas and Argentina so far, haven't used digital on HF in a few months now, really cool mode.

Just 20 watts into the Chameleon MPAS 2.0, still love this Antenna !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Just on Olivia on 20m tonight, had QSO with lads in Texas and Argentina so far, haven't used digital on HF in a few months now, really cool mode.

Just 20 watts into the Chameleon MPAS 2.0, still love this Antenna !

think I saw your call on 20m ft8 a little while ago

I was chasing a 9J2** , got him in the end

orm0nd wrote: »
    think I saw your call on 20m ft8 a little while ago

I was chasing a 9J2** , got him in the end

Haha, no hiding, yeah I saw an EI call didn't pay much attention. Nice catch.

I find it hard to get replies on FT8 even though I'm being heard, then a while ago I read that a lot of people have filters set and only respond to those registered with LOTW, that's really bad.

I'm not used to ft8 so haven't much experience with it but just god fed up with it.

Olivia and psk31 are much more fun to me.

• Advertisement

Haha, no hiding, yeah I saw an EI call didn't pay much attention. Nice catch.

I find it hard to get replies on FT8 even though I'm being heard, then a while ago I read that a lot of people have filters set and only respond to those registered with LOTW, that's really bad.

I'm not used to ft8 so haven't much experience with it but just god fed up with it.

Olivia and psk31 are much more fun to me.

when I'm chasing DX, I run filters when on auto sel on jtdx, usually to stop answering an eu stn. calling cq ,

however if I'm called by any station I will reply , no matter where they're located.

when I'm chasing DX, I run filters when on auto sel on jtdx, usually to stop answering an eu stn. calling cq ,

however if I'm called by any station I will reply , no matter where they're located.

I was on the other night and found the lack of replies frustrating because PSK Reporter clearly shows I'm being heard. So I mostly just use it to see how far I get out on PSK reporter, it's handy for testing antennas.

JS8 Call is fine but there's not a lot of People on it and most that are are just using it like FT8 just to click HB and send acks.

I must admit I really like PSK31 and Olivia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It can be utterly amazing how far and how different contacts can be made on the various modes.

A few nights ago I got to Dorchester South Carolina on FT4 with reports of -12 for me and -3 for them, we decided to try phone, and I was 22 he was 44 for reports, I was just barely poking above the noise floor, and that was with 200-300W for me into the 1/4wave vertical of the DX Commander.

As for WSPR, I've been heard pretty much worldwide on <200mW.

I have not yet tried psk31 or Olivia or the other digital modes

Popoutman wrote: »
    It can be utterly amazing how far and how different contacts can be made on the various modes.

A few nights ago I got to Dorchester South Carolina on FT4 with reports of -12 for me and -3 for them, we decided to try phone, and I was 22 he was 44 for reports, I was just barely poking above the noise floor, and that was with 200-300W for me into the 1/4wave vertical of the DX Commander.

As for WSPR, I've been heard pretty much worldwide on <200mW.

I have not yet tried psk31 or Olivia or the other digital modes

Yes, radio is amazing! :D

I tried FT4 the other night, there was almost no activity compared to FT8.

PSK31 and Olivia are great for keyboard to keyboard chat, Olivia is slower but works down to very low signal levels, if conditions allow you can change to contestia which is almost the same but twice as fast but Olivia works better at lower signal levels.

I use fldigi, pretty cool software, I use it on linux on a little Chromebook I wiped and installed GalliumOS.

Digital modes are cool when the XYL is watching tv, I have the FT-891 hooked up to the MPAS 2.0 in the sitting room with the cable through the window, I have a EFHW cabled up there too, handy when I don't want to go to the shack or just listen around or do some SW listening.

If you get on PSK31 or Olivia you will need to set up macros. A lot of the qso's are just using macros which you will use a lot and it's handy. Sometimes you'll get People who want to chat and then you can use normal keyboard chat, it can take a little bit to figure it out if you haven't done it before.

Anyone here got DMR and want to have a DMR Net tonight or tomorrow night ?

Anyone interested in a good O'l Ragchew on 80M Saturday Night around the usual 9 pm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ei9go

It's a bit of a mystery to me how sometimes PSK reporter puts an L on me to show that I have LOTW and sometimes not. I think the lack of replies sometimes on FT8 is that there is no one there, the radio and computer is just left on.

ei9go wrote: »
    It's a bit of a mystery to me how sometimes PSK reporter puts an L on me to show that I have LOTW and sometimes not. I think the lack of replies sometimes on FT8 is that there is no one there, the radio and computer is just left on.

Yeah could be. I was on FT8 last night for a while on 40m didn't seem to be the usual mad activity maybe conditions. Might try again tonight.

Hadn't much time to chase 7q7ru over the last few days

Saw them spotted yesterday and checked 17 loads stations calling but no sign of the expedition.

Just as i was leaving their signals came through, after about 10 minutes came back to me with +02. Answered him and he missed his report. Missed it second time as well. After 2 attempts he moved on to working us stations.
    Checked the online log and he didn't log me.
    Was fairly pissed off cos some stations they gave 9 or 10 calls to.

• Advertisement

Hadn't much time to chase 7q7ru over the last few days

Saw them spotted yesterday and checked 17 loads stations calling but no sign of the expedition.

Just as i was leaving their signals came through, after about 10 minutes came back to me with +02. Answered him and he missed his report. Missed it second time as well. After 2 attempts he moved on to working us stations.
    Checked the online log and he didn't log me.
    Was fairly pissed off cos some stations they gave 9 or 10 calls to.

That is a pity alright. Keep an eye out for me tonight on 40 and 10m if it's open. I'll be using the MAPAS 2.0 so probably not great for our short distance.

On a more positive note I got VK5SFA on 15 meters at around 11:20 am with the help of the Acom 1000, :D I have got to VK before with just the 100 watts all the way to Sidney on 40m I think it was.

Other DX on 15 was PY4BZ ln 3rd May 100w It's nice to be able to get some DX during the day when not in work and the Boys are in School. :D

Advertisement