Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

instant classics

• 15-08-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I believe some cars are bound to be classics, the second they come off the production line they have a status.

I dont think we need a thread about what is a classic and wheteher something can or cant be a classic. Its about what YOU think is an INSTANT classic and your reasoning for it.

So, I'll start the ball rolling with 2 I think were instant classics ....

Honda NSX and the original Lexus LS 400

The NSX showed the world you could build a super car that was reliable. It put the sh*ts up ferrari and Lamborghini I imagine.

LS400 - Showed the world Japan could build world class Luxury motors

so what are yours ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I agree with your two cars mentioned , I will go with the Mazda MX5 and VW Golf GTI MK5, They will still look good in 20 yrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Mclaren f1 for me was the ultimate instant classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Guilia Quadrifoglio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Saab 900

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I agree with your two cars mentioned , I will go with the Mazda MX5 and VW Golf GTI MK5, They will still look good in 20 yrs!

considering I was sitting looking out at my MX5 as I wrote the post, its amazing it didnt spring to mind !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Alot of modern cars I struggle to warm to but the hard top MX5 mark 4 is a real looker and I reckon it will age well. Its a breath of fresh air to have an uncomplicated, na petrol & lightweight sports car still being made in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Weird and French tends to be a good combination - the Citroën C6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Probably a bit obvious, but I'd say the original Focus RS.
    VW Corrado too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Weird and French tends to be a good combination - the Citroën C6.

And Renault Avantime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The VW Polo 1993 and before, it was my first car.

3 doors, 4 gear's and nippy.

• Advertisement

And Renault Avantime

Have one put away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

The Mk1 GTI must fall into this category? Think it was seen as a game changer at the time. What about the Mini too?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Have one put away.

so would I if I had somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Id say the original Audi TT would be another one.

Tfft - that's me sorted so :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Audi RS4 B7 .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mazda RX8. Alfa Brera.

Two that will always look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Definitely a Mazda RX8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

3rd Gen Honda Prelude :)

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Volvo 850 T5R in Yellow
    Mondeo ST24
    Audi S3
    SAAB 95 HOT Aero
    Ford Transit MS-RT (my next for sure)

No garage is ever big enough !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Honda civic fd2 type R

Prices have never really came down and it was crowned the last true type R by most shortly into it's production run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I would like to think the following

Honda S2000
    Jaguar XK8/XKR
    Mazda MX5
    Fiat 500 Abarth
    Audi TT
    Ford Focus RS
    Alfa Romeo 4C
    Alfa Romeo Brera

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Any Alfa Romeo.imo...

Any Alfa Romeo.imo...

Except the arna

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Except the arna

No, especially the Arna !

Imagine going to a AR meet - you'll have the rarest car there !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    No, especially the Arna !

Imagine going to a AR meet - you'll have the rarest car there !!

Just because something is rare doesn't make it special. Beauty is however in the eye of the beholder and if one was at a meet I would go see it for its oddity value but I'd still prefer the sud ti.

Just because something is rare doesn't make it special.

True, but something thats clearly a complete catastrophe from inception is almost the epitome of an instant classic.

born of stupidity and a total flop = instant classic imo ( This is not the only qualifying qualities of an instant classic clearly )

How about a Nissan GT-R ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Audi RS4 b5
    Audi RS2

Advertisement