Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to NI

• 13-06-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are any current regulations or reprecussions for somebody from a border county in the South taking a drive up North? A social visit or to Ikea for example rather than a trip that might be deemed essential such as work or medical? Obviously, once the border is crossed guidelines here no longer apply (stay in your county), but what's the situation up North?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

stay in your own county is quite specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Isambard wrote: »
    stay in your own county is quite specific.

But not enforceable so that's gone out the window for many people. Not sure on what the story with the North is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

There are no travel restrictions up North AFAIK.

Travelled Roscommon-Fermanagh there and back again 3 times last 2 weeks, no issues whatsoever.

2 weeks quarantine on return presumably.

But not enforceable so that's gone out the window for many people. Not sure on what the story with the North is though.

In fairness it shouldn't need enforcing, it's for the protection of the public and people shouldn't be looking for ways around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

No quarantine for the Common Travel Area was the last thing I heard.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    No quarantine for the Common Travel Area was the last thing I heard.

Still need to quarantine if coming from Great Britain, only exemption if from Northern Ireland

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You lost me at IKEA !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Northerners can travel anywhere if going fishing. Bring a fishing rod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Del2005 wrote: »
    Still need to quarantine if coming from Great Britain, only exemption if from Northern Ireland

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html

Cheers. I obviously picked it up wrong.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"I heard" doesn't replace a bit of googling :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Tell them you're going to Penney's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Northerners can travel freely in the south - as far as Kerry if they want to - even when it was 2 kms. Planty of northern reg cars in Dundalk ( though that doesn’t mean they’re actually from NI)

I can’t see why we can’t travel up there. Though why escapes me at the moment.
    Maybe when the shops open next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Anyone travel north to Newry this week given shops are open?
    Any checkpoints or hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi all

Travelling to enniskillen for 2 nights. Just realised NI is not on the green list, will I need to quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nope.. not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah come on, spend your money in your own country, don the Green Jersey.

I know there are great places up there, and the lakes and that around Enniskillen are brilliant. But anyone going North now for a break is not helping our own country out at all. But perhaps you are visiting family, grand if so.

Oh and the Flegs...

But off you go, enjoy yourself. No quarantine required. NI on the exempt list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Considered as one island for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

I know there are great places up there, and the lakes and that around Enniskillen are brilliant. But anyone going North now for a break is not helping our own country out at all. But perhaps you are visiting family, grand if so.

Oh and the Flegs...

So much drivel.

circadian wrote: »
    So much drivel.

It is true though. And I would say the same about anyone travelling outside ROI for now too. Not patriotic at all.

But those who do travel outside ROI don't care. So it is kind of pointless arguing the toss.

If the Chairman of Failte Ireland can go to Italy and has now resigned, I will rest my case, for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Oh and the Flegs...

Is Enniskillen not in Ireland 🇮🇪 and not to many flegs would be flying now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Oh and the Flegs...

GTF this whole Isle is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Oh and the Flegs...

They also wear green jerseys up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'm driving from Kerry to Belfast tomorrow, grand hotels for €60 for the night, I'll go to see the Giants Causeway, places from Game of Thrones. Irish Ripoff hotels and restaurants can go to hell as far as I am concerned. I am from Kerry the ripoff capital of Ireland so I see it everytime, no way in hell I would leave a penny to the Irish hospitality sector. 90p to the Euro and going North is a no brainer for me for the week.

Oops, the Shinners are in!

Hows it going?

Money spent up North is not helping us down here. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

It is true though. And I would say the same about anyone travelling outside ROI for now too. Not patriotic at all.

But those who do travel outside ROI don't care. So it is kind of pointless arguing the toss.

If the Chairman of Failte Ireland can go to Italy and has now resigned, I will rest my case, for now!

This be patriotic and buy Irish is some crock if sh1t.
    If buying Irish meant you didn't have to sell a kidney for 2 nights in a gammy hotel looking at the rain hopping off your window people might be more inclined to do it.

Ireland is a total rip off for most things, you have to look out for number one.

Not travel related but as an example, last year I was looking at a pair of North Face boots, 165 euro here, got them on Amazon delivered for 75 pounds. Just one of hundreds of examples of how we are ripped off in this country.

I did a couple of day trips, but keeping my money for when this is all over and will be going somewhere abroad rather than pay extortionate prices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Return On Investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

unhappys10 wrote: »
    If buying Irish meant you didn't have to sell a kidney for 2 nights in a gammy hotel looking at the rain hopping if your window people might be more inclined to do it.

Ireland is a total rip off for most things, you have to look out for number one.

Not travel related but as an example, last year I was looking at a pair of North Face boots, 165 euro here, got them on Amazon delivered for 75 pounds. Just one of hundreds of examples of how we are ripped off in this country.

I did a couple of day trips, but keeping my money for when this is all over and will be going somewhere abroad rather than pay extortionate prices here.

I wouldn't mind supporting something like small Bed and Breakfast usually mom and pop type affairs or renting an airbnb but Irish hotels do my absolute nut in, the way those lowlifes treat staff is beyond contempt, usually owned by millionaire stingebags. Retaurants don't deserve much support either and the way they charge. e.g. €3.20 for a 220ml coke glass or 7up etc usually at a ratio of 50% ice so they give you even less liquid. €17 for a burger and chips, no thanks I'd rather go to McDonalds or a chipper van at that rate.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    If buying Irish meant you didn't have to sell a kidney for 2 nights in a gammy hotel looking at the rain hopping if your window people might be more inclined to do it.

That's fair enough. But for now, stay here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Oh and the Flegs...

I have already done a week in Donegal, a few days away in kerry and Another week In Sligo. Spent plenty of money this side

Advertisement