Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New website www.irishevs.com

Options
  • 12-08-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭

This is a new website with FAQ about EVs.
    It is very pro EV and anti ICE

It is Irish and answers some myths and discusses the Irish motor industry campaign to delay EV adoption

https://www.irishevs.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

zg3409 wrote: »

It is Irish and answers some myths and discusses the Irish motor industry campaign to delay EV adoption

Irish site yet a very prominent picture on the main page of a UK reg car? And the first paragraph (under the picture of a hybrid - not PHEV - car) I came across and read on the site:

"A hybrid vehicle is a blend of a petrol and an electric car – these are also known as Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV).

These vehicles run on electric power in urban areas but switch to a petrol engine when running above a certain speed. "

All of that is simply incorrect. Maybe the site was launched a bit too hastily? I'll look again in a few days time, hopefully they will have had time to review, reflect and make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

unkel wrote: »
    Irish site yet a very prominent picture on the main page of a UK reg car? And the first paragraph .

That very same car was on "This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying " a few weeks back. It really did get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

zg3409 wrote: »

Not going to do anyone any favours.

Ireland isn't big enough to have any power to delay anything. The Irish market follows whatever the brands tell them to. I'm aware of individual cases like dealers or salespeople giving their opinions to print organisations on how diesel is still king for their rural customers - and I'm sure it is - but it's simply incorrect for that website to infer that the Irish market can shun any particular type of energy source.

Supply and demand and all that stuff but when a major brand tells a dealer you're putting in 5 EV chargers on the forecourt, you need a showroom that will house all of our current EV range and you must sell X amount of electric vehicles, it will be done and the ones that won't, will close down. We're simply not going to be buying cars in the same way as we currently do in less than 10 years time and it will be a case of change with it or get left behind.

MarkN wrote: »
    Ireland isn't big enough to have any power to delay anything. The Irish market follows whatever the brands tell them to.

^^This

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just had a look through that site - they say they can't get their hands on any EVs to review due to Covid, another fairytale :P

I really don't mean to be negative but Jesus there's enough sceptics when it comes to EVs, I constantly have to reassure people about range when I'm driving one but if you're going to setup as a website that will be really clear and helpful, this stuff can't be picked at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It also says 'Electric cars are primarily charged at home, and can either be plugged into your mains socket – like your kettle – or you can install a fast charger system'
    That's a bit misleading as well given the common nomenclature of 'fast charging' referring to public charge points (40kw +)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭innrain

That is rapid. In UK the call fast >3kW <44kW. ecars calls them standard. In fact I remember reading this sentence last year when I was researching EVs. Zap map?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s not a great website in fairness.
    Errors almost everywhere as well as terrible grammar.

(I didn’t know the model 3 started at €38k!!).

Looks to be mostly copied and pasted from a U.K. site. (Charging page quotes miles instead of km’s)

In fact, the more I look the worse it gets.......

“ most manufacturers will offer a guarantee on your battery – typically between 8 and 10 years – which is the typically lifetime of a petrol or diesel car today”

“ CCS connectors can add up to approx 75 miles of range per hour of charging - although this is rising all the time with upgrades in software and infrastructure”

Sorry to be so harsh, especially if it’s your site OP, but it needs an immediate proof read, and to be updated to be relevant to Ireland as opposed to the U.K.. Most of the information is also horrendously inaccurate.

And that picture of the U.K. reg Model 3 has to go.........

If I was looking at switching to a BEV, this website would encourage me not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I contacted them shortly after they came online with a few errors to correct, which they did.

But there are so many that I figured I wouldn't be arsed if they aren't.

I'm not sure what the point of the site is? If it's meant to push EV sales then it's not really working. And if they went to the bother of setting up the website, why not go to the bother of fact checking and spell/grammar checking it?

I don't recall seeing it pop up on either of the Facebook groups either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

from the site about the promoter.

"He has been a regular contributor to other EV publications and outside the automotive industry has provided comms support for everything from consumer electronics to nappy recycling."

Clearly some of the nappy effluent has spilled over into this project.....

As for the britmobile on the front, he clearly needs to visit King John's Castle in Limerick and do the history tour
    https://www.kingjohnscastle.com/
    It's brilliant.:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement