Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Ireland ever have a non-Irish Taoiseach?

• 14-08-2020 2:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

or even TD? I know Leo is the only one. It seems that Ireland is an anomaly in Europe in the sense that our legislative and executive branches of government only have whites in them. Not that there's anything wrong with a homogenous political system but it would be nice to have diversity.

Is it a case of too few immigrants in Ireland for too short of a period (since 90s Celtic Tiger) to have broken into politics? I know Asians and Blacks have been in many European countries since the early 20th century and are much greater in numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

joeguevara wrote: »

He's not popular though. The fact that I've never heard of him says that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

No, it just indicates that you are too young to remember him.

He was very popular. He as a labour TD broke a FF strongold in CLare. Was known as the Indian among the cowboy. There is a lot of things that whoever one of ye is on work experience this week doesn't know. You asked would there ever be a non Irish TD. It was answered. So what more do you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Tork

Are you suggesting Leo Varadkar isn't Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What do you mean he's not popular? He's still held in high regard in Clare in both political and his professional careers.

Tork wrote: »
    Are you suggesting Leo Varadkar isn't Irish?

He's half blaa

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yet from your OP you appear to be knowledgeable enough of the demographic makeup of the other 54 European parliaments/governments to be able to call Ireland an anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Your definition of Irish is quite racist

Pure trolling OP. Use Google and cop on.

I imagine the Taoiseach must have to have an Irish passport, yes. Would that not b'é bloody obvious?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Constance Markievicz was a Minister in the very first Dail and wasn't "Irish" as she was born outside of Ireland, you'd be a very brave/stupid person to call her non-Irish however

• Advertisement

or even TD? I know Leo is the only one. It seems that Ireland is an anomaly in Europe in the sense that our legislative and executive branches of government only have whites in them. Not that there's anything wrong with a homogenous political system but it would be nice to have diversity.

Is it a case of too few immigrants in Ireland for too short of a period (since 90s Celtic Tiger) to have broken into politics? I know Asians and Blacks have been in many European countries since the early 20th century and are much greater in numbers.

Actually now that I think of it, Dev was born in America so there you go, we've already had 1.

/thread :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

when I mean by non-Irish I meant (not of white Irish origin).

So a fully black Taoiseach

You asked for a TD. It was given. This is a racist troll thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭MFPM

Aren't you the same guy who started a thread about a 'german friend' looking to live in Blanch or Balbriggan yesterday?

Now it's a 'non Irish' Taoiseach which apparently LV was, now you've clarified that it's not a 'non Irish Taoiseach' you're interested in but a 'Black' Taoiseach.

Mischief making nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Where's the racism exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

:confused:

Only the UK has has real diversity of skin colour at ministers level.

The European parliament and European governments lack diversity of skin colour.

7 of the 18 MEP from a non white background were British and have obviously left because of Breixt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2019/06/05/the-brief-eu-reflects-lack-of-diversity-in-membership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Leo is the only one of what OP? Just to be clear like, where you are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

What? He is Irish.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Where's the racism exactly?

This is the second thread he has started in two days aimed at fostering negative discussion about race and migrants in Ireland, he's employing a rather sly and dishonest method.

alroley wrote: »
    What? He is Irish.

He knows that he's deliberately posted that to get a discussion going, he's being dishonest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Agreed. Locked.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement