Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the best/worst Taoiseach in modern times?

• 13-08-2020 2:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Leo seems to be like Obama in the sense that he's made strides in terms of being the first Indian politician and first gay politician but his policies were average at best and incompetent at worst.

Brian Cowen stands out as the worst we've had but yet some laud him for bringing Ireland out of the Great Recession that happened in 08'. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Brian Cowen, Bertie Ahern, Micheál Martin, take your pick from any of the past few FF leaders!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bertie set the traps for Cowen, Cowen was more hapless than crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Cowen was given a complete hospital pass. That said he was clearly not up to the job.

I think history will judge Enda Kenny very harshly. Yes he inherited a mess but really he had a huge opportunity to rebuild the whole of Ireland and instead he followed a Dublin First policy that ultimately caused huge social problems in Dublin and left much of rural Ireland in an endless economic depression.

I think it will be a toss up between Cowen and Kenny. The country was in a mess when Cowen left but he had a lot going against him. Kenny had everything going for him and Ireland feels like a very harsh and nasty place as a result of his policies.

Wildcard: John Bruton didn't do much positive and managed to almost destroy the peace process so he isn't going to be on anyone's top 5 list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Brian Cowen, and it's not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

Thought Enda Kenny played a good game.

Don't remember a lot about Bruton but, nowadays, he is an outstanding analyst.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Best - has to be a toss up between Charlie or Leo. I mean Charlie was a class act and sadly missed. Anyone that rips off a country with such finesse and gets away with it deserves that countries respect. It's not as if every senior civil servant in the country wasn't at the same craic either. Which came first, procurement fraud or backhanders? My recollection gets fuzzy.

Leo never gets the respect he deserves. He finally nailed our abortion legislation, legalised marriage for everyone and you could bring him anywhere. I love the way he shoots from the hip also, especially to the cranks who are destroying this country by the minute, he just hits them back with the truth, cranks can't deal with that.

So a toss up between Charlie and Leo for me.

Worst - has to be Dev, pious stooge who you couldn't trust to organise a piss up in a brewery. Dragged the country to its knees for years until Seán Lemass ran him. The 1939 constitution was basically written by a foreign sect and Dev spent the next 8 years implementing policies which broke the country. I get that there was a war on, but his fanaticism destroyed us. He really believed that we should be meeting at the crossroads singing folksongs and swapping potatoes. I find it disturbing when modern politicians spoof about him being an influence on their lives, I mean how cretinous can you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Leo never gets the respect he deserves. He finally nailed our abortion legislation, legalised marriage for everyone

Wow you have a short memory. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Worst: Any of the one who turned up in a television ad for a tabloid rag.

Wow you have a short memory. Hilarious.

Good, it will allow me to forget your valuable input into my opinion on something. Thanks for sharing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Micheal has got to be the worst. At a time of national crisis , he put his personal interests/ambitions ahead of his own party and country. He is the hero we deserve though. The cutest of hoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Leo never gets the respect he deserves. He finally nailed our abortion legislation, legalised marriage for everyone and you could bring him anywhere. I love the way he shoots from the hip also, especially to the cranks who are destroying this country by the minute, he just hits them back with the truth, cranks can't deal with that.

Leo followed on Repeal and SSM, not led.
    He did well on Covid initially but many medical staff who rushed home to help were abandoned when it came to getting permanent roles.
    He targeted people committing fraud and would have let Maria Bailey get away with her fraudulent claim but for the public uproar.
    He took no ownership in delivering on the commitments to the Paris Accord which he signed us up to.

Overall I'd probably give him a 6 out of 10.

Micheal Martin 2/10 Not looking good but early days
    Enda Kenny 7/10 Well capable of looking out for his buddies but represented country well abroad
    Brain Cowen 4/10 Always seemed out of his depth but hard not to be during that time
    Bertie Ahern 3/10 Was up to all sorts but probably was Taoiseach during period of best growth in the states history. Think people forget just how popular he was in 2002
    John Bruton 5/10 No great recollection
    Albert Reynolds 4/10 Did good work in peace process but was weak in face of CC influence leading to government collapse
    Charlie Haughey 3/10 Would have been a great leader if you were within his inner circle but he shafted the people of the country with his 'way beyond our means speech' and was the original bandwagoner

Best -

Worst - has to be Dev, pious stooge who you couldn't trust to organise a piss up in a brewery. Dragged the country to its knees for years until Seán Lemass ran him. The 1939 constitution was basically written by a foreign sect and Dev spent the next 8 years implementing policies which broke the country.

Not defending Dev here, but for all the bad things you can say about him, this is the least accurate or damning.

The Irish Constitution is one of the most liberating and democratic documents protecting their citizens from tyranny ever written. Why? Because it didn't stick 21st centaury citizens of Ireland with the same vision people had in the 1920's or 30's. The people change the constitution, not the government.

I don't agree or like that same sex couples couldn't get married, don't like that women weren't free to make a choice about birth, etc, back in the 1950's. But the constitution prevented people in the 1950's dictating what people in 2020 can and cannot do.

Who knows? I mean I doubt it but maybe in another 80 years people will want to stop abortion and same sex marriage? I hope they don't but I don't want the right to stop them.

Say a lot of bad things about Dev but I think we can thank him at least for a more progressive constitution than frankly most of the world's democracies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Best Anyone that rips off a country with such finesse and gets away with it deserves that countries respect. It's not as if every senior civil servant in the country wasn't at the same craic either. Which came first, procurement fraud or backhanders? My recollection gets fuzzy.
    Any person who rips off their own country, especially while holding the highest office in the land, deserves anything but respect. And if every civil servant in the land was doing it too that's a further indictment of that persons unwillingness or inability to root out corruption.
    Worst...has to be Dev, pious stooge...

Agree with you on Dev. We still haven't dealt properly with the abuse scandals that his deference to the Roman Catholic Church facilitated. The details of those abuses are at least in the public domain now but the organisations that committed, facilitated and covered up those abuses have never and likely will never be held accountable for their actions and inactions.

However, as this thread is about modern times Leo gets my vote for marriage equality, repeal of the 8th and anything else that further removes the pernicious influence of the Church from Irish affairs. Worst is Ahern for continuing where Haughey left off.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Brian Cowen stands out as the worst we've had but yet some laud him for bringing Ireland out of the Great Recession that happened in 08'. What do you think?

Cowen was poor, but he was landed it by the previous cowboy, Leo has been great for many reasons, sadly though, him and his parties major downfall is their economic ideologies, but it is good to see our country becoming more mature and open, if only we could get a handle on our economics, it could be a great little country, but to be fair, we re not the only country struggling in that department, and there's others, including some far wealther countries, that are doing much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Not defending Dev here, but for all the bad things you can say about him, this is the least accurate or damning.

The Irish Constitution is one of the most liberating and democratic documents protecting their citizens from tyranny ever written. Why? Because it didn't stick 21st centaury citizens of Ireland with the same vision people had in the 1920's or 30's. The people change the constitution, not the government.

I don't agree or like that same sex couples couldn't get married, don't like that women weren't free to make a choice about birth, etc, back in the 1950's. But the constitution prevented people in the 1950's dictating what people in 2020 can and cannot do.

Who knows? I mean I doubt it but maybe in another 80 years people will want to stop abortion and same sex marriage? I hope they don't but I don't want the right to stop them.

Say a lot of bad things about Dev but I think we can thank him at least for a more progressive constitution than frankly most of the world's democracies.

I’m not sure how the above is a defence of the progressiveness of Dev’s constitution. The examples you gave arise from constitutional amendments, not the constitution itself.

Nah, you should thank John Hearne for ensuring that the constitution was pliable and open to future referenda. Dev was a corrupt newspaper owner / gunman, who realised that the best way to coerce a rebellious country only 1 generation out of rebellion was to slam them with hardcore religious morals and an adoption of the tripe invented by mid 19th century Irish romantics ( modern translation " pie ball " ). The guy was a stooge, in fact anyone that involved themselves with McQuaid in such a fashion needs a rethink. While you are doing so, have a think about the tripe that McQuaid got Dev to agree on. Free republic my eye. So you can thank Johnny Hearne for our repeal of the conservative moralistic defining excrement which was implemented in the first draft of the 1938 constitution. Dev was a stooge, get over it. All about himself and let far too many people push his buttons for him, he was an apologist for everyone else's bad decisions and the epitome of a despot, time will prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think Leo did a good job in his Tenure, he's defo in the conversation for best Taoiseach imho!

Hermy wrote: »
    Any person who rips off their own country, especially while holding the highest office in the land, deserves anything but respect. And if every civil servant in the land was doing it too that's a further indictment of that persons unwillingness or inability to root out corruption.

I massively agree with you. But I am still in love with Charlie. Underneath his skullduggery he genuinely loved us, you know it. I get that he was a bolleex and all, but I can't stop loving him.

I massively agree with you. But I am still in love with Charlie. Underneath his skullduggery he genuinely loved us, you know it. I get that he was a bolleex and all, but I can't stop loving him.

he wasnt a particularly nice person, if you hear about some of his antics in private

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Charlie Haughey absolutely lined his own pockets but what he gave Ireland in terms of laying the foundations to make us americas EU branch and supply us all that creamy tech money has to be admired.

I would rate Charlie as the best.
    The worst might very well turn out to be MM , but its early days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

For me, I would say Bertie was by far the worst, given the outcome of his tenure. He put absolutely no control on anything, anybody who talked about a downturn was told to commit suicide. Between him and Charlie "When I have it I'll spend it" McCreevy, they set the traps for what was a crippling recession.

Cowen was useless but he was given the ultimate hospital pass.

I think Enda was OK in fairness to him (and probably the best we had). Himself and Noonan got more right than wrong. Irish Water was their biggest disaster in my view. I would say he didn't tackle waste in the public sector like he could have and Dr. J's plan for the health service floundered badly.

I think Leo's administration was a lot poorer than people remember. Yes they did well in Covid but where was the same urgency regarding housing, where was the control of costs at the childrens hospital, where was the accountability for cervical check. I also never liked that they didn't try to get more corporation tax from multi national companies but kept hammering the squeezed middle.

Charlie Haughey absolutely lined his own pockets but what he gave Ireland in terms of laying the foundations to make us americas EU branch and supply us all that creamy tech money has to be admired.

I would rate Charlie as the best.
    The worst might very well turn out to be MM , but its early days

fdi is definitely something to be grateful for but he wasnt a particular nice person

For me, I would say Bertie was by far the worst, given the outcome of his tenure. He put absolutely no control on anything, anybody who talked about a downturn was told to commit suicide. Between him and Charlie "When I have it I'll spend it" McCreevy, they set the traps for what was a crippling recession.

Cowen was useless but he was given the ultimate hospital pass.

I think Enda was OK in fairness to him (and probably the best we had). Himself and Noonan got more right than wrong. Irish Water was their biggest disaster in my view. I would say he didn't tackle waste in the public sector like he could have and Dr. J's plan for the health service floundered badly.

I think Leo's administration was a lot poorer than people remember. Yes they did well in Covid but where was the same urgency regarding housing, where was the control of costs at the childrens hospital, where was the accountability for cervical check. I also never liked that they didn't try to get more corporation tax from multi national companies but kept hammering the squeezed middle.

they also didnt tackle the inefficiencies in private sector either

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    he wasnt a particularly nice person, if you hear about some of his antics in private

Yeh maybe, but everyone can be a bit of bitch sometimes you know? Leaders sometimes have to be "assertive" to get shít done. That is why some people hate them and some people love them. So when he wasn't buying constituents bottles of Crested Ten he was slapping Garda drivers in the face for crossing him. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Turns out the cops needed a few slaps anyway. You need to read all the chapters to get a feeling for the whole book, not the just the few paragraphs you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I detest FF, but I love Charlie. He's economic policies really made us a wealthy country.

Yeh maybe, but everyone can be a bit of bitch sometimes you know? Leaders sometimes have to be "assertive" to get shít done. That is why some people hate them and some people love them. So when he wasn't buying constituents bottles of Crested Ten he was slapping Garda drivers in the face for crossing him. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Turns out the cops needed a few slaps anyway. You need to read all the chapters to get a feeling for the whole book, not the just the few paragraphs you like.

he was a misogynist and a gangster, from my own accounts
    I detest FF, but I love Charlie. He's economic policies really made us a wealthy country.

are we really confusing wealth with debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

and sure we've had a million and one politicians here who were absolute b*stards in private but never gave us anything, turning us from a little backwards farming island off europe into one of the top 10 richest countries in the world and the EU's tech hub is absolutely worth any amount of being somebody you wouldn't want to be around in public.

and sure we've had a million and one politicians here who were absolute b*stards in private but never gave us anything, turning us from a little backwards farming island off europe into one of the top 10 richest countries in the world and the EU's tech hub is absolutely worth any amount of being somebody you wouldn't want to be around in public.

again, are we confusing wealth with debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kevincaomhin

Firstly when does modern times begin?:confused: Is it not easier to look at all Taoiseach(s) or is it Taoisigh?

I would make a case for Cosgrove WT simply because our history would be a lot bloodier if he had not decided to handover power peacefully to DeValera. Honorable mention for Sean Lemass for economic policy.

If modern times is taken as living memory it has to be Albert Reynolds for his role in Northern Ireland peace process. Not saying he was perfect or anything but he did a lot of good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

SNIP. Knock off the name calling please.

Advertisement