Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Taxsaver Tickets to be extended by Six Months

• 12-08-2020 5:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭

News just in:
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/annual-taxsaver-tickets-to-be-extended-by-six-months/
    Customers who have an annual TaxSaver ticket for Public Service Obligation (PSO) public transport services provided by Dublin Bus, Luas, Iarnród Éireann, Bus Éireann and Go-Ahead Ireland are to have their tickets extended for a period of six months.

This effectively gives customers back the portion of the ticket that they could not use as a result of the Government’s Covid-related travel restrictions, and acknowledges the changes in travel and work that have come about since.

The measure applies to all customers whose tickets were valid on April 1st.

The customer is not required to fill in forms or supply any details. Any customer whose ticket expires, and who has not already requested a refund, will automatically be provided with a new ticket on their existing TFI Leap card, which extends validity for six months from the date of expiry of their original ticket.

Collecting the new ticket is straightforward for the customer and is identical to the process already in place for TaxSaver tickets. Bus customers can collect it using their TFI Leap Top-Up App or in a TFI Leap Card retailer, while Luas and Iarnród Éireann customers collect it automatically as they travel. Bus Éireann Point to Point ticket holders will receive a new ticket to include the six month extension.

Customers who have renewed their annual TaxSaver ticket since April 1st will also benefit from the measures announced today.

Where the customer wishes to receive a refund rather than avail of the extension, it is still open to them to make such a request via their employer under existing terms and conditions.

These measures do not apply to customers of commercial bus operators who are making their own arrangements.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

devnull wrote: »

Asked my HR a while back and they actually came back today as want to cancel leap card, hopefully refund will be backdated to 1 April 2020.

I crunched the numbers for an annual leap card and it isn't that good value for me even with taxsaver given the daily capping. Certainly isnt worth me having a annual card when I'll only be in the office 2 days a week in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sweeeeeet. 6 months free. Worth about 200 a month in my pocket.

Pleasantly surprised. I expected to have to fight for the 2 months I could not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Decent that. 6 months free for the start of 2021.

When should this be reflected on our actual leap cards ? Just went onto the app there and mine has expire date 31st dec 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yep, that is a result! It exceeds my expectations.

Decent that. 6 months free for the start of 2021.

When should this be reflected on our actual leap cards ? Just went onto the app there and mine has expire date 31st dec 2020

Give them time id say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is great news.
    I think I will go with the refund if possible, and not renew, then just go with normal top up card.
    I contacted my HR department about it.
    Annual tax saver for Dublin bus not due to expire til 1st November. I wonder if I will be able to get a refund for 8 months....

It will definitely be next year before back in office....by looks of it not in Jan either...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is my understanding of this correct? A free six month extension for all holders?

My own scenario was expiry at end of April which I obviously didn't renew so I only lost about six weeks which I had just written off as bad luck.

So now I have free travel until end of October?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gmisk wrote: »
    This is great news.
    I think I will go with the refund if possible, and not renew, then just go with normal top up card.
    I contacted my HR department about it.
    Annual tax saver for Dublin bus not due to expire til 1st November. I wonder if I will be able to get a refund for 8 months....

It will definitely be next year before back in office....by looks of it not in Jan either...

In and out of the office myself the last 2/3 months and back in on a more of a rostered basis from end of this month so I've still got use out of my Dublin bus tax saver so makes sense for me to get 6 months extra when it expires end of Dec.

Then in the case of people who've no idea if / when they'll be back on public transport the refund is a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

It’s great to see that something is being done, an extra six months for those that will use it is good. My concern in relation to the refund is, “under existing terms and conditions.” Does that mean you lose the standard two months?

In my case, my pass expired at the end of May. I’ve no intention of renewing it for the foreseeable future, so an additional six months is of no use. Ideally I’d like to get the money back for April and May. Hopefully, that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I feel like an idiot now for using my normal leap card instead of my Taxsaver card during lockdown as I was under the impression if I used my Taxsaver card I wouldn't be able claim any unused months back. Anyway the extra 6 months is welcome

https://www.taxsaver.ie/News/COVID-19-and-Taxsaver-ticket-arrangements/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I feel like an idiot now for using my normal leap card instead of my Taxsaver card during lockdown as I was under the impression if I used my Taxsaver card I wouldn't be able claim any unused months back. Anyway the extra 6 months is welcome

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

How does this work? I pay mine fortnightly- will they just stop taking money from my wages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sinus pain wrote: »
    How does this work? I pay mine fortnightly- will they just stop taking money from my wages?

I was under the impression that you pay up until you were paid off, then you get 6 months added on to it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

All good if you are customer of Luas, Iarnoid Eireann, Dublin Bus but if you are customer of private operator you are screwed. My provider is refusing to give me refund and says best they can do is extend few months next year which is no good as have no intention of using pass next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Does anybody know when this will click into effect? My ticket expired on 1 July and I have been paying as you go since.

Ohmeha wrote: »

FFS, that link seems to suggest if you are stsying in your job your only option is to get extra months added for the period you could not use your leap card.

Where has the refund language gone for someone who has not lost their job?

Mine was renewed in June

Sinus pain wrote: »
    Mine was renewed in June

I just checked my payslip - (civil service)and I haven’t been charged for my leap card I actually haven’t been charged the last few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

FFS, that link seems to suggest if you are stsying in your job your only option is to get extra months added for the period you could not use your leap card.

Where has the refund language gone for someone who has not lost their job?
    Surely the bolded line below from the linked statement covers this?
    COVID-19 and Taxsaver ticket arrangements
    The National Transport Authority has provided an outline as to how TaxSaver customers are to be accommodated.

Many holders of TaxSaver tickets have been unable to avail of public transport services as a result of restrictions being put in place in response to the Covid-19 crisis.

NTA along with the transport operators and other stakeholders are now designing a process to implement the scheme, but the basic principles have been agreed.

For commuters who are to continue employment with their current employer, under the NTA plan, the customer will be offered free travel for a number of months equivalent to the length of time they have been unable to use their ticket as a result of travel restrictions.

At the point when the customer returns to work, or on expiry of their ticket, they will make arrangements with their employer and they will be offered a choice as to whether the months-in-lieu are to take effect immediately, or whether they want to use them at a later date.

For holders of TaxSaver tickets who will not be continuing in their current employment, a refund will be offered to cover the remaining period of ticket validity, from the time restrictions were put in place.

Where the customer wishes to receive a refund rather than a replacement ticket, it is still open to them to make such a request via their employer under existing terms and conditions.

Together with the NTA and other operators, we will confirm details of the scheme as soon as possible. Please retain your ticket(s) pending confirmation of details of the scheme.

Just to clarify the 6 month extension kicks in from 1st September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Just to clarify the 6 month extension kicks in from 1st September

I was wondering about this as my ticket expired end of June. Where did you hear it'll be September?

I haven’t been charged in my last four payslips at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

This is nothing new, it was announced a while back that the few months that people missed out on the commute due to lockdown will be added to their ticket or you can request a refund.

I have cancelled my Luas tax saver ticket all together and already got a refund. I'm working from home all the time now, back to the office from next year and even then it will only be 2 days a week of commuting to work. So no point for me to keep the ticket on.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    I was wondering about this as my ticket expired end of June. Where did you hear it'll be September?

Contacted support today and was told applied from 1 September and can collect to card from around 27 Aug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Hi folks,

I was working through an agency in maternity cover when I got my travel card and finished up with them in May. The agency lady was lovely and all but had no idea how to even apply for one for me when i enquired and I had to do all the footwork for her.

I feel I'll have to do the same again to look for a refund, so can anyone guide me as to who I contact in irish rail/leap card/wherever in order to start the process please? I have an Irish rail/leap card combined travel saver ticket.

Thanks a lot 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

Contacted support today and was told applied from 1 September and can collect to card from around 27 Aug

When you say can collect to card what do you mean? Should the leap card work straightaway with the credit added from September 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

billyhead wrote: »
    When you say can collect to card what do you mean? Should the leap card work straightaway with the credit added from September 1st?

It should appear as a new 6 month ticket rather than extension of your current ticket. This means you'll have to collect it on the app, payzone or Irish Rail/Luas ticket machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

Stevek101 wrote: »
    It should appear as a new 6 month ticket rather than extension of your current ticket. This means you'll have to collect it on the app, payzone or Irish Rail/Luas ticket machine.

Sorry if it's a stupid question when collecting it on the ticket machine would you just need to scan the card and the 6 months is added?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Assuming its from Irish Rail or Luas just tag on and off as usual, or place the ticket in the reader on the ticket machine to update

If your ticket has already expired then the extension will start 1 Sept so will be available from 3-5 days before 1 Sept to collect and for a period afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mine IR short hop expired 30th of June. I doubt I’ll be using it again this year bar maybe the odd time. I think I’ll just look for my April month back as doubt I’ll get the May June based on cancellation

Advertisement