Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Diamond League

Options
  • 11-08-2020 1:47am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Finally, some athletics action! Who even knows how many other meetings we'll actually end up seeing, can definitely see more getting cancelled.

Anyway, hoping we won't see many dropouts before Friday because some incredibly stacked fields!

Women's 5k is looking amazing with Hassan, Gidey, Obiri and Klosterhalfen all scheduled to run. Really hope that some of them have been training like beasts in lockdown and we might see some fast times.

One person who won't be running in Monaco is Consesulus Kipruto as he's tested positive for coronavirus. Says he was going for the world record too.

How we'll watch Friday's action is another thing, Eurosport appear to have sold the rights :( Maybe there'll be a stream going somewhere, otherwise it'll have to be highlights on the BBC the next day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Watch Athletics normally have streams.

Ziggo Sport in The Netherlands is showing Monaco, might be of use to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was lucky enough to be a spectator at the Monaco meet last year and got to see Hassan break the women's mile world record. Really looking forward to this one. Really hoping it'll be available here:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/diamondleague/videos?view=2&live_view=502 or here: https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5058 (both legal).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/athletics/53745076

This article states its available on BBC Red Button tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not much good then for the people who won't be able to watch it live :(

Would it be available anywhere after the broadcast, even on YouTube? Don't want to wait until the next day for 'highlights' on the BBC.
    Also, not sure if the BBC red button works in Ireland anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The BBC Red button is separate channel on Satellite. You should be able to see it if you have a satellite and receiver. I'm not sure what channel it is off hand but it is SD and is a available.

EDIT: Sky channel 980
    BBC Red Button currently provides one video stream to all platforms, which can be accessed directly from Freeview channel 601, Freesat channel 981, Sky channel 980 and Virgin Media channel 991, however the feed is standard definition only.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

adrian522 wrote: »
    The BBC Red button is separate channel on Satellite. You should be able to see it if you have a satellite and receiver. I'm not sure what channel it is off hand but it is SD and is a available.

EDIT: Sky channel 980
    BBC Red Button currently provides one video stream to all platforms, which can be accessed directly from Freeview channel 601, Freesat channel 981, Sky channel 980 and Virgin Media channel 991, however the feed is standard definition only.

980 brings up nothing for me on Sky? Having said that I do actually have the red button tuned in as an 'other channel', however that's useless to me as I can't record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

980 brings up nothing for me on Sky? Having said that I do actually have the red button tuned in as an 'other channel', however that's useless to me as I can't record it.

Am away myself, so will just record Sat highlights

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

do you have anything on 981?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sky>Services>Other Channels>BBCRB1 is the place to be right now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Ladies high jump...love it..ahem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Also available on the Diamond League youtube channel.

Warholm is such a stud.

12.35 by Cheptegei, wow..Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Third for Mageean, in a super strong finish and another NR.

Mageean annihilated Sonia's national record!

Brilliant from Ciara, and slightly held up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Lots of good sport on tonight... almost missed this. So, new method of pacing a world record attempt with the lights running around the track. Technological versus human paced assistance. I'm not sure what to think about it THB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

New European record for Ingebrigsten in the 1500m, breaking Farah's 2013 time from the same meet.

New Irish 1,000m Ladies record for Ciara Mageean, beating Sonia’s old mark by 3 secs or so. Also moves to 9th overall all time for the distance after tonight’s race. Great to see her kick past Reekie in the final straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

That has to be the finest Irish sporting performance of the year so far.
    No doubt Ciara can be a genuine medal contender on the world stage.

Choochtown wrote: »
    That has to be the finest Irish sporting performance of the year so far.
    No doubt Ciara can be a genuine medal contender on the world stage.

At what, 1500m? Ciara's progression has been brilliant and a joy to watch, but it's a loaded field and she's yet to break 4 minutes at the distance. I think she will break that barrier soon, but still too premature to suggest she could be a medal contender imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

At what, 1500m? Ciara's progression has been brilliant and a joy to watch, but it's a loaded field and she's yet to break 4 minutes at the distance. I think she will break that barrier soon, but still too premature to suggest she could be a medal contender imo.

Yeah I think I may have got a bit carried away with the "genuine medal contender" part of the statement!! Ciara is in her late 20s now so maybe a major medal would be a step too far.

Still, what a performance! Great to see her mixing it in a field of that calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Choochtown wrote: »
    Yeah I think I may have got a bit carried away with the "genuine medal contender" part of the statement!! Ciara is in her late 20s now so maybe a major medal would be a step too far.

Still, what a performance! Great to see her mixing it in a field of that calibre.

Not sure you did. She absolutely is a medal contender and always has been. Her silver in Moncton in 2010 cemented that. A lengthy injury and some below potential performances and seasons may have made some people think otherwise. She has always had the credentials. She is there with the best and many other world stage medal contenders.

Really fun meeting last night! The whole thing was uploaded to YouTube immediately after the broadcast so thankfully I got to see it all. Great to see a WR from Cheptegei, maybe surprising because it was a lot hotter than when Bekele did it and the 10k is more his event anyway. Already seeing it debated online as to how they compare because of the continually advancing show technology and how Cheptegei was assisted by the lights, but at the end of the day a WR is a WR.

Jakob is unreal, European record at 19, I was convinced he was out of his teens already but obviously not. Well done to Jake Wightman too.

Bit disappointing from Hassan, although not too surprising given what her coach said recently. Took some down time from April-June in Ethiopia, and even when she resumed training wasn't able to do a great deal due to unrest in the country. Coach thinks we're a few weeks away from seeing fast times, so hopefully when she heads to Ostrava and Brussels next month she'll be in better shape. Also remember she had a very average run in her first DL race in Shanghai last year and obviously tore through the rest of the season. Great to see Obiri in such fine form though, and hopefully there's more to come from Gidey this year too.

Delighted to see Mageean run so well, another new Irish record! I know the distance isn't ran very regularly, but 13th on the all-time list isn't a bad stat at all. Great to see Muir and Kipyegon running so well too, the latter almost breaking the existing WR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not sure you did. She absolutely is a medal contender and always has been. Her silver in Moncton in 2010 cemented that. A lengthy injury and some below potential performances and seasons may have made some people think otherwise. She has always had the credentials. She is there with the best and many other world stage medal contenders.

I'd disagree. At European level, she definitely has a shot but at worlds and Olympics, you have Hassan, Muir, Kiyyegon and Tsebay, and then if anyone doubles up from 800 or 5000. She'd need to find 3-4 seconds on her PB to win a medal there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

5000 metres WR..wow. That record was one of track’s toughest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd disagree. At European level, she definitely has a shot but at worlds and Olympics, you have Hassan, Muir, Kiyyegon and Tsebay, and then if anyone doubles up from 800 or 5000. She'd need to find 3-4 seconds on her PB to win a medal there imo

She was about a metre behind her last night!

Of course medal at Worlds/Olympics is still a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Itziger wrote: »
    She was about a metre behind her last night!

Of course medal at Worlds/Olympics is still a big ask.

True, but Muir is about 4th or 5th of the top 1500m runners, and has a lot faster PB than Magaeen. I think she could beat Muir in a race. Not sure she has any shot bar some insane luck of beating Hassan or Kipyegon.

Getting top 5 in a worlds or Olympics or course would be a huge result. You always have one of either the 800 or 5000 runners doubling up and they're all peaking for it.

At European level, she has an excellent shot. Shame this years one is out the window, but 2022 should be a good chance if she keeps improving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

titan18 wrote: »

She’s in great shape, has the right attitude and has as much of a chance as Muir or Reekie in getting a World or Olympic medal. I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see a whole lot from Hassan again. Muir outside of indoors hasn’t cracked that nut yet. You have to look at the likes of Jenny Simpson and see what she has achieved. That medal is an absolute possibility for Ciara too.

Advertisement