Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo XC90 T8 - PHEV

• 06-08-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Any thoughts?

They return about 24 mpg if you're lucky once the little phone battery dies and you're running on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Sorry, I realise that was annoyingly non-descript. I’m looking at importing one of these from the UK. Fairly certain it’s the way I want to go, realise I would need to get it this year to avoid triple / quadruple taxation etc.

Just wondering if any of you have one already, and if so if you’re happy with it? Also curious as to the actual electric only range, I know it’s fairly minimal even on paper.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Just wondering if any of you have one already, and if so if you’re happy with it? Also curious as to the actual electric only range, I know it’s fairly minimal even on paper.

Cheers.

We sold one last year, cost us close to 110k to buy new but it is an epic machine. Buy it for the performance and not saving a few bob on fuel as it is near impossible to drive economically. It was my wifes car and she managed on her 100km commute just over 35mpg. I never broke 30mpg:eek:

Electric range is 10 to 15kms, perfect if you can throw a stone to work or the local shops :D

Its comfy, its big, its fast, great infotainment but no tesla, we all liked the car but we got the electric bug and no way could I handle the poor fuel economy again

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Also looking at purchasing one in from UK, a 16/17 one.

They are specced well, even with the Momentum as the hybrid. Sunroof, full driver display, aircon throughout and few other things.

The battery is a good bit better in 18 I think but out of my budget. I am slightly concerned about the MPG on longer journeys but that will be only once a month or so I reckon, mostly will be able to do journeys on battery with some petrol usage. I have seen people saying that they can get 20km or so from battery so hoping around that, know the post above mentions less however.

Have a look at ERAD problems that occur, volvoforums has more detail. Few grand to fix if it goes wrong. Covered 100% by Volvo for 3 years and 50% up to 4 years but on your own after that.

Big savings to be had compared to purchasing here, potentially 10k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ustari wrote: »
    Also looking at purchasing one in from UK, a 16/17 one.

They are specced well, even with the Momentum as the hybrid. Sunroof, full driver display, aircon throughout and few other things.

The battery is a good bit better in 18 I think but out of my budget. I am slightly concerned about the MPG on longer journeys but that will be only once a month or so I reckon, mostly will be able to do journeys on battery with some petrol usage. I have seen people saying that they can get 20km or so from battery so hoping around that, know the post above mentions less however.

Have a look at ERAD problems that occur, volvoforums has more detail. Few grand to fix if it goes wrong. Covered 100% by Volvo for 3 years and 50% up to 4 years but on your own after that.

Big savings to be had compared to purchasing here, potentially 10k or so.

17km I’d say was the max I ever got it on electric. That was almost three months of trying to get it the 22km into work. And I tried. It had serious drink problem on petrol alone. Loved it though. Lovey inside, good handling, spacious. I did have a lot gremlins though (17 reg). Not sure if they were sorted after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Keggers74

I test drove one of these today and while it was quick, it wasn’t as torquey (is that a word?!) as I expected. The battery was fully drained though. Do they have full power even with no charge? My 330e isn’t really affected by battery charge level.

Keggers74 wrote: »
    I test drove one of these today and while it was quick, it wasn’t as torquey (is that a word?!) as I expected. The battery was fully drained though. Do they have full power even with no charge? My 330e isn’t really affected by battery charge level.

The xc90s acceleration comes from the electric motors, if there’s no charge the petrols doing the work. It takes a lot energy to move something that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,699 ✭✭✭✭unkel

krissovo wrote: »
    We sold one last year, cost us close to 110k to buy new

110k :eek:
    no way could I handle the poor fuel economy again

I wouldn't mind the fuel cost, but no way could I handle the depreciation which cost you many times more than the fuel :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If the car is €110k new is fuel cost really relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We've a D5 one, I wouldn't touch one out of warranty from the UK, if your going to be doing a lot of driving in it get the diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

slave1 wrote: »
    If the car is €110k new is fuel cost really relevant?

But you're saving the planet!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PHEV's are not saving the planet (but I get your sarcasm?).
    It's like giving up smoking at the weekends, damage still being done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

unkel wrote: »
    110k :eek:
    I wouldn't mind the fuel cost, but no way could I handle the depreciation which cost you many times more than the fuel :p

We get very generous car allowances for our jobs so there was no care about depreciation, there was at the time an expectation in the office we had high spec cars and the usual office snobbery that influenced us. This has changed now in that we got the electric bug plus our office will increase our benefits for "green" cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,699 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We get very generous car allowances for our jobs so there was no care about depreciation

Doesn't the car allowance go towards either depreciation or fuel or both, whatever you want? :p

I do get your point though. For many years I drove large cars with big engines that had the highest rate of motor tax and very high petrol consumption, I could justify that to myself because I got a generous untaxed allowance for all the business miles I did

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Soarer

We've a D5 one, I wouldn't touch one out of warranty from the UK, if your going to be doing a lot of driving in it get the diesel.

Do they do a XC90 in a diesel PHEV?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Soarer wrote: »

Don’t think so, pretty sure the PHEV is petrol only. I’ve just committed to one anyway. £31.5k for a decent spec, most options ticked, 162 with 69k miles on the clock. Happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

lovely looking car, well wear - especially the R-Design ones in Black. Was half looking at them myself. VRT is good as well last time I looked

lovely looking car, well wear - especially the R-Design ones in Black. Was half looking at them myself. VRT is good as well last time I looked

I think the R design doesn’t suit the character of the car at all. These chrome wing mirrors etc seem completely out of place on such a great elegant design. Having said that I’ve never cared for “sporty” bits stuck on, especially on low powered cars. Much prefer a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Soarer wrote: »

There are current ones that are mild hybrid diesel ones yes.
    https://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/new-models/xc90/specifications/engines?redirect=true

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don’t think so, pretty sure the PHEV is petrol only. I’ve just committed to one anyway. £31.5k for a decent spec, most options ticked, 162 with 69k miles on the clock. Happy out!

Was going to warn you don't buy a 2016 one unless it's got the newer entertainment system with Android auto/apple car play, it really takes from the car. In built navigation is useless and so are the apps, it's an absolute pain trying to connect your phone every time getting in to use Spotify etc and even when you do connect it's barely usable.
    With that milage and no warranty your taking a big gamble, we've nearly 150km on ours now and and I'm sure glad warranty covered a lot of work. Make sure you get the security code with the car as it can't be reset by a dealer and only the first owner will know it, when your can't open the boot or glovebox someday you'll need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

A review from one of my favourite reviewers! It’s on the mild hybrid but does mention the phev a bit as he had one for a while.

https://youtu.be/qMKz36pb-T8

Advertisement