Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking up Golf - Advice

• 12-08-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking up golf, have recently got back into playing P&P but want to go further and step up to playing golf.

Looking for any advice in relation to:
      What Clubs/gear to get Should I take lessons, if so any recommendations around D18 area What course to start on?

Any advice welcome. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

deco72 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking up golf, have recently got back into playing P&P but want to go further and step up to playing golf.

Looking for any advice in relation to:
      What Clubs/gear to get Should I take lessons, if so any recommendations around D18 area What course to start on?

Any advice welcome. :)

Cheap enough maybe half bag of clubs to start, don't spend big money. If you're still at it in a few months and think you'll stick at it and good clubs would help you, upgrade.
    The amount of money friends of mine spent on golf clubs and gear and never kept it up is crazy. Goes for a few other sports too, cycling, skiing, running etc..
    Golf is a good pastime to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Take a few lessons with a club professional.
    He will also tell you what clubs suit and can also provide them if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

I took it up myself there this time last year. Went out with a few mates in dublin (I work in dublin during the week) had a great time with it. So far as clubs, I swallowed my pride and accepted cast offs from the lads to see how I got on. I picked up the odd few clubs for € 20-40 as needed. Herself got me membership at home in galway for xmas and now I'm fairly obsessed .
    You can get going for very little outlay. Done deal, pro shops, your mates etc will get you kitted out cheaply.
    Golf clubs generally do an introductory offer to see how you get on.
    Get a few lessons
    Most of all have fun without the big outlay until you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Cheap enough maybe half bag of clubs to start, don't spend big money. If you're still at it in a few months and think you'll stick at it and good clubs would help you, upgrade.
    The amount of money friends of mine spent on golf clubs and gear and never kept it up is crazy. Goes for a few other sports too, cycling, skiing, running etc..
    Golf is a good pastime to get into

thanks for the info, I was actually looking at something like this starter set of clubs - https://www.halpennygolf.com/en/Wilson-X31-Package-Set/m-30118.aspx as I wouldn't know where to start when picking up clubs.

I intend on picking it up and sticking with it but lets see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Take a few lessons with a club professional.
    He will also tell you what clubs suit and can also provide them if you want.

Yeah I have reached out to a pro in Stepaside to get some info on lessons so hoping to hear back on that. Will have a chat with him wrt clubs maybe he has some input as you mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

thanks for the info, I was actually looking at something like this starter set of clubs - https://www.halpennygolf.com/en/Wilson-X31-Package-Set/m-30118.aspx as I wouldn't know where to start when picking up clubs.

I intend on picking it up and sticking with it but lets see :D

Thats a lot for clubs that will have very little resale value, I would look at the second hand market and shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah I have reached out to a pro in Stepaside to get some info on lessons so hoping to hear back on that. Will have a chat with him wrt clubs maybe he has some input as you mention.

He will measure your swing speed too and might have a used set to suit you and at a reasonable price. Good luck and enjoy.

Advertisement