Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobby Horses of Belief (and assorted hazards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

robindch wrote: »
    "Continuty SSPX" - that's what our own extended family calls the group in which Popette finds her spiritual fulfilment - the actual name being "SSPX Resistance" which is a hardline splinter group which formed from the SSPX, and which holds that the SSPX are a bunch of lackluster, lily-livered liberals. The SSPX, of course, is a hardline splinter group which holds that the mainstream RCC are a bunch of lackluster, lily-livered liberals.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I've always wondered that about €800 watches never mind €80k ones. Do people actually wear them? Wouldn't you be terrified of banging it off the car door / cat litter tray / whatever ?

It's a complete mystery to me too.
    I am very fussy about my watches.
    Must haves are clear numbers not numerals, a second hand, a light so I can see the time in the dark, be accurate, leather strap.
    My current watch does all those things.
    It's a Timex. Cost €60.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's a complete mystery to me too.
    Likewise. In the days before mobile phones, I used to wear a Timex LCD watch which served me for years and which couldn't have cost more than about twenty of our old Irish pounds. I've seen something similar a few times recently too - retro seems to be all the rage these days.

After cracking the face somehow, I recall with going into Weirs jewelers on Grafton street perhaps 25 years ago to buy a replacement, and speaking to some spotty oik behind the counter. He took one disdainful look at the smashed watch and informed me sniffily and unnecessarily loudly that Weirs didn't cater for that end of the market, so I took a step back myself and, addressing the fairly crowded shop, enquired loudly whether anybody else in the shop wanted their watch insulted in which case they could speak with this man here - *pointed at oik* - and left the shop, never to return.

Cheap quartz analogue watches all the way for me.

I once brought a fairly new Seiko Pulsar (Seiko movement)in there for a battery replacement.

He said it would take three days and filled in a form stating that it was "heavily scratched and in bad condition" :rolleyes:

I have a Citizen Eco-drive now, only because the Pulsar died by immersion after having the back opened to replace the battery one time too many. This thing never needs to be opened. But once corona started, I stopped wearing it and I'm not sure if I'll resume the habit.

60 quid B? You could probably have got a Casio for 25. (oops, missed the "second hand" bit - but in HHGG humans still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea :) )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Cheap quartz analogue watches all the way for me.

I once brought a fairly new Seiko Pulsar (Seiko movement)in there for a battery replacement.

He said it would take three days and filled in a form stating that it was "heavily scratched and in bad condition" :rolleyes:

I have a Citizen Eco-drive now, only because the Pulsar died by immersion after having the back opened to replace the battery one time too many. This thing never needs to be opened. But once corona started, I stopped wearing it and I'm not sure if I'll resume the habit.

60 quid B? You could probably have got a Casio for 25.

The one I have is designed for hiking so it has an extra tough face - not because I hike :p, but because I wear the face on my inner wrist so it takes a battering.
    This is my second one in 10 years - last one was damaged 3 years ago when I was fixing a horse corral in a thunderstorm. Somewhere between keeping horses in, getting fences back up and secured, and trying to not get completely saturated the stem got ripped out. Watch still worked but I couldn't change the time so when asked what I wanted for my birthday I gave a very very precise answer.
    Still have the other one. It's on my mantelpiece accurately telling 'British Summertime' time :p

• Advertisement

Happened across a mention of this guy the other day browsing through the T***p Tulsa thread.

Matt Shea
    Matthew Thomas Shea (born April 18, 1974) is an American politician and attorney. A Republican, he represents the 4th Legislative District in the Washington House of Representatives.

In October 2018, Shea acknowledged that he had distributed a four page manifesto which called for the killing of non-Christian males if a war were to occur and they do not agree to follow fundamentalist biblical law.[1][2] Shea was referred to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for investigation as a result.[3] In April 2019, Shea was removed as State House Republican Caucus Chair for advocating violence against religious minorities and offering state surveillance of political enemies to members of hate groups.[4]

An investigative report commissioned by the House, issued on December 1, 2019, found that Shea "participated in an act of domestic terrorism against the United States", organized and supported "three armed conflicts of political violence", and advocated replacing the government with a theocracy and "the killing of all males who do not agree."[5][6] A former ally of Shea provided documents showing that Shea and his supporters were planning to seize control of the region after the outbreak of civil war, installing Shea as governmental leader in order to institute "constitutional changes" to "sanctify to Jesus Christ".[7] Immediately after the report was issued, Shea was removed from the House Republican Caucus,[8] though he refused to resign.[9]

Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Happened across a mention of this guy the other day browsing through the T***p Tulsa thread.

Matt Shea

Mad.

Very like the handmaid's tale lol. Needs to step away from the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Very like the handmaid's tale lol. Needs to step away from the tv

One side of WA state has the CHAZ. The other side, this guy (and many like him.)
    Next state north of the Ammon Bundy zoo.

Strange place to live, though I very much enjoyed my time there from 2003- 2014.

About three weeks ago, Putin lifted lockdown in Russia just in time for his military parade in Moscow, followed immediately by a "referendum" on whether he should have the option to remain in power until at last 2036, enshrine god, disallow marriage equality, enable judicial appointments by the president. Voting should be complete by the time that the second wave starts coming through, at which point, a lot of elderly voters - by and large Putin-supporting - are expected to catch the virus and expire without consuming any more state pension or health service. The Kremlin released a series of eye-scratchingly awful propaganda videos in the runup to the "referendum" - one of which I posted a while ago. The only good thing that's come out of this manifestly fake referendum is a string of satirical ads - this one with subs:

https://twitter.com/DylMeisner/status/1276622789013680128

Given the, eh, unsubtle nature of Russian propaganda, you sure it's satire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A corrupt prick acting the holy joe

A Turkish court has annulled the museum status of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, a world-famous cultural site, enabling it to be converted into a mosque.
    It is a controversial move, as 1,500-year-old Hagia Sophia was founded as a cathedral. Later the Ottomans made it a mosque. In 1934 it became a museum.
    It is a Unesco World Heritage site. Unesco earlier urged Turkey not to change its status without discussion.
    Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for the change.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53366307

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Odhinn wrote: »
    A corrupt prick acting the holy joe

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53366307

Fair play ...

There was a thread on this in the current affairs forum
    Houthis round up Yemen's Jews as part of 'ethnic cleansing' efforts - report
    The Houthis forced the Jews to sign pledges to sell their homes, land and property to Houthi leaders at nominal prices and then leave Yemen.

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/houthis-round-up-yemens-jews-as-part-of-ethnic-cleansing-efforts-report-634989

As ever, the bigotry towards Jews never seems to extend to their property.

Meanwhile, in China

China’s ambassador to the UK has insisted the Uighur people live in “peaceful and harmonious coexistence with other ethnic groups”, as he was confronted with footage of shackled prisoners being herded on to trains in Xinjiang.
    Human rights groups and western governments have catalogued widespread abuses against the Muslim minority in China’s western region, including mass forced sterilisation and detainment in “re-education” camps.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/19/chinas-uk-ambassador-denies-abuse-of-uighurs-despite-fresh-drone-footage?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1CStgau_D7rJnTLDBCkrIMv4ov2CiKd3fNuIoBu2WHTAjMNFTwyjHwvvY#Echobox=1595156289

The wife of a prominent Nigerian humanist accused of blasphemy has pleaded for information about his wellbeing on the eve of the three-month anniversary of his detention.
    Mubarak Bala, the president of the Humanist Association of Nigeria, was arrested at his home in Kaduna state on 28 April and taken to neighbouring Kano. In the weeks before, he had posted comments critical of Islam on Facebook that caused outrage in the deeply religious and conservative part of the country.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/27/wife-of-mubarak-bala-detained-nigerian-humanist-plea-for-information

Ye'd want balls of steel to open your gob in these places.

China goes cybertoe-to-cybertoe with the Vatican, plus details on the state of negotiations between the two:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/us/politics/china-vatican-hack.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53582578
    A man accused of blasphemy in Pakistan has been shot dead in a courtroom during his trial in the northern city of Peshawar.

He had been facing charges for allegedly claiming to be a prophet.

Blasphemy is legally punishable by death. No-one has been executed for it by the state but accusations can often lead to violent attacks.

Mad stuff, there is another witchhunt on twitter for an atheist there.

Don't forget we had not only a blasphemy law, but a blasphemy provision in the constitution until very recently. Our constitution is still explicitly Christian/Catholic and claims that all authority derives from this thing called "the most holy trinity", and our primary schools are 96% religious run and refuse to appoint teachers (public servants, remember) who can't convincingly enough pretend to be a practising member of the 'right' sect.

Well worth a read

The last of the Zoroastrians.
    A funeral, a family, and a journey into a disappearing religion

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/06/last-of-the-zoroastrians-parsis-mumbai-india-ancient-religion

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    Well worth a read
    Or a listen. It's on the Guardian "Long Read" podcast as well - this usually shows up within a few days of the print/web-published article appearing.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/series/the-long-read

South Africa: Gabola church 'connects with God by drinking alcohol'

There are many different churches around the world but there are few like South Africa's Gabola church.

Gabola means ‘drinking’ in South Africa’s SeTswana language. Gabola church believes its congregation connects with God through consuming large amounts of alcohol during services.

South Africa is currently enduring its second period of a Covid-19 alcohol ban in an effort to ease the burden on hospitals during coronavirus. So how is the church coping during these dry days?

BBC visited the church and spoke to its founder, Pope Tsietsi Makiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

^^ Beat me to it, where do I sign up ?

^^ Beat me to it, where do I sign up ?

I'll drink to that!

If you overdo it you'll be talking to god on the big white telephone :)

Now, perhaps this is me being just a tad cynical :cool: but is this 'church' really a way to meet up and get p!ssed despite lockdown? Kinda like that native American church which is allowed possess and use peyote. Someone must have tried it with marijuana by now, surely?

BTW the video is a must-watch if you haven't already.

Oh and don't be modest when setting up your own church, award yourself the title of "pope" or supreme leader or whatever. Sure why not?

Hearing the Holy Spirit through Distilled Spirits. Take it to the next level! Awesome video.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

alcohol had lead me to long sessions of prayer in the past. Normally i would be praying for death mind.

The video !! :D:D

Classic ... drunken singing ... slurring ....

• Advertisement

The Burkes are in the news again.

High Court told home schooled student cannot get calculated grades
    The High Court has been told that a Mayo Leaving Certificate student, who has been taught entirely at home by his mother, cannot receive calculated grades because there is no objective record of his academic attainment at any level.

In a challenge taken by the student against his exclusion from the scheme, lawyers for the Minister for Education told the court there could be no circumstances whereby the Department of Education could stand over a situation whereby a parent's judgement only was used as the basis for grades.

Like his nine siblings, Elijah Burke's entire education has taken place at home with his mother as his sole teacher.

Yesterday, the court was told that he was demonstrably gifted and and that all his siblings had excelled academically.

But lawyers for the Minister for Education said today that there was no objective measure of Elijah's academic excellence.

He had not taken the Junior Certificate for instance, and the only record of his attainment had been created by his mother.

They said the case was not about depriving the applicant of a third-level education because it is intended to proceed with Leaving Certificate exams in November and Mr Burke could sit the exams then.

Under the calculated grades system teachers create an estimated mark for each student, and also ranks students in order.

However, teachers who are close relatives of a student must stand aside from the process and allow another teacher within the school to take over.

This 'mark' will later be used to calculate a final grade under a national standardisation process being undertaken by the Department of Education.

The case is continuing in the High Court.

Advertisement