Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

siblers wrote: »
    Jay didn't really do much other than laugh at Ray's jokes so not sure if he's much of a loss. Ray is great but the play list is awful, it's one of the worst play lists on any radio station

Yeah Ray and Jay don’t seem to be keen on the songs as well. They constantly take the piss out of the newer songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Liking the new dynamic with Ruairi and Ciara...when they get used to each other think it will work well.

Foley's song this morning for East Cork...rhyming in Dunkettle Interchange is some feat 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

IUA14 wrote: »
    Liking the new dynamic with Ruairi and Ciara...when they get used to each other think it will work well.

Foley's song this morning for East Cork...rhyming in Dunkettle Interchange is some feat 😂

The ensemble cast is very reminiscent of the TodayFM days. Ruairi is like the new Nordie Eoghan and Ciara is like the old producer from TodayFM or Sues from 98FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Was listening to the show today and thought too myself, I’d love too see Ray bring back “ah yeah ok”. I text it into them aswell so hopefully it plants a seed :D
    I’m pretty sure Ruairi lurks around here also, so hi Ror

So KC beats Ray in the JNLRs ONE book and Ross Browne is on Facebook spouting shiîte. Hopefully Ray gets his revenge on him in the future!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Any numbers. I see reds share is down. Red arnt realy blowing their we are number one trumpet today on the jnlr ads. Is niel above pj still.

So KC beats Ray in the JNLRs ONE book and Ross Browne is on Facebook spouting shiîte. Hopefully Ray gets his revenge on him in the future!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3068245866540978&id=194278177271109

So this and Ross on a massive slag off on Facebook...this got bitter...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3068245866540978&id=194278177271109

A bit pathetic.

A bit? I’d say it’s more then a bit

KC and Foley were mates for a long time. Wonder if that’s still the case

Foley heavily implied that K.C. tried to warn Jay off working with him by saying he was very difficult to work with along with other not nice things.

Between that and Foley winding K.C. up at the start
    Of this tenure in Red makes me think their friendship is a bit rocky at the moment.

Loughc wrote: »
    Foley heavily implied that K.C. tried to warn Jay off working with him by saying he was very difficult to work with along with other not nice things.

Between that and Foley winding K.C. up at the start
    Of this tenure in Red makes me think their friendship is a bit rocky at the moment.

Well KC tried to bring Jay with him to 96 first day prior to Ross Browne coming in! It’s well established that Ray is a total anorak and control freak since the days of his night time show on Today Fm if beds are too loud or co presenters miss a cue he isn’t impressed. That’s him in a nutshell. He’s a perfectionist he makes others on the team up their game like most jobs in the world! Maybe after awhile it gets tiresome but it’s still “work” at the end of the day not somewhere they all go to “do a bit”

Ross Browne claiming what he and KC have is authentic, ya bud and so are Jordons tits, they were paired up by management. I like KC but with the crap videos saying number 3 and the Ross fb stuff it makes them seem childish and not at all funny. I hope with the re-boot on Red since Jay left Foley turns it around but I think he has his sights set on Dublin living again and dunno if he has the same hunger to get back too number 1 again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'd find it very hard to believe Ray is a control freak, he seems completely opposite to that

siblers wrote: »
    I'd find it very hard to believe Ray is a control freak, he seems completely opposite to that

He absolutely is. Between audio quality, timing of links and many many other things. The whole “we don’t know what we’re doing” is just a charade

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I caught a couple of the podcasts during the week and I think my early impression is quite promising. Ciara seems a much better foil than Jay was.

I caught a couple of the podcasts during the week and I think my early impression is quite promising. Ciara seems a much better foil than Jay was.

Yeah the dynamic is really working but drastic changes like that usually signal the end of a show as the audience don’t usually Stick around. If Foley doesn’t get back to number 1 I can see his Tenure in RedFM coming to an end sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

That video is absolutely justified after the way Ray Foley behaved on air over the past few years. Foley said some pretty horrible things about KC and 96fm.

Now Foleys show is No 3 in the market and 10k behind KC and Ross.

All's fair in love and war.

Howard100 wrote: »
    That video is absolutely justified after the way Ray Foley behaved on air over the past few years. Foley said some pretty horrible things about KC and 96fm.

Now Foleys show is No 3 in the market and 10k behind KC and Ross.

All's fair in love and war.

Like what? I don't recall any horrible things, gentle piss taking (which was done by both might I add).

For anyone struggling with the boredom of being locked in the house, Foley and Muireann have a podcast now called Six Bits available on all platforms I think.

https://aca.st/cd2a8a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Anyone else think his show is on a serious downward spiral? I dunno how long more can he get away with literally phoning it in from Dublin and I’m a big fan of him and the show.
    I think jay is a loss (can’t believe I’m saying that), Ciara Revins on air contributions are limited to the traffic news it seems even though when I hear her weekend show she seems a very competent broadcaster in her own right.
    He has some other female contributor on now as well. This morning the phone in topic was where do u store condiments? I mean talk about utter drivel.

For anyone struggling with the boredom of being locked in the house, Foley and Muireann have a podcast now called Six Bits available on all platforms I think.

https://aca.st/cd2a8a

Six Bits is very very good.
    Horse84 wrote: »
    Anyone else think his show is on a serious downward spiral? I dunno how long more can he get away with literally phoning it in from Dublin and I’m a big fan of him and the show.
    I think jay is a loss (can’t believe I’m saying that), Ciara Revins on air contributions are limited to the traffic news it seems even though when I hear her weekend show she seems a very competent broadcaster in her own right.
    He has some other female contributor on now as well. This morning the phone in topic was where do u store condiments? I mean talk about utter drivel.

Ruairi is a great addition. Him and Ray bounce off each other really well.

I have to agree Ciara adds nothing to the show and seems to have 0 chemistry with Ray. My wife doesn't listen to the show but she was listening in one morning when I was WFH, and she commented that yer wan Ciara hates Ray, she said little to the tone between the two it's really awkward and tense.

I imagine it's plummeting listeners though. I'm still enjoying it but only when Ray goes off on a ramble. Which he discusses on Six Bits, he's better at that stuff but randoming rambling is a massive no no for radio.

Laura o’mahoney is embarrassingly bad. She literally does topics the Foley in his hay day would rip the piss out of. She doesn’t fit in the show at all.

Ciara sounds delighted as always to be on the show.

Ruairi is the only one who’s having a bit of craic. The show is a mess at the moment. The Laura segments scream as a lazy attempt to pick up younger social media listeners to help bridge the ratings gap which should have never happened.

When Ray and Jay were number 1 they should have pushed on from there. It’s sad to see what the show has become as it really was one of the rest things on radio when Ray and Jay first started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Laura o’mahoney is embarrassingly bad. She literally does topics the Foley in his hay day would rip the piss out of. She doesn’t fit in the show at all.

Ciara sounds delighted as always to be on the show.

Ruairi is the only one who’s having a bit of craic. The show is a mess at the moment. The Laura segments scream as a lazy attempt to pick up younger social media listeners to help bridge the ratings gap which should have never happened.

When Ray and Jay were number 1 they should have pushed on from there. It’s sad to see what the show has become as it really was one of the rest things on radio when Ray and Jay first started.

I have to agree, not enjoying the Laura bits at all. They seem so out of place and not funny. And they’re draaaaggging on! If it was one small segment of a check-in it would be more bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

I have to agree, not enjoying the Laura bits at all. They seem so out of place and not funny. And they’re draaaaggging on! If it was one small segment of a check-in it would be more bearable.

Bring back Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

The show is definitely on its last legs unfortunately. Wonder what kind of contract foley was on with red?

Horse84 wrote: »
    The show is definitely on its last legs unfortunately. Wonder what kind of contract foley was on with red?

You have to wonder alright how much longer does he have left there. I wonder what would be next for Ray if he does leave RedFM.

Discussed the radio show on Six Bits today which was interesting.

Discussed the radio show on Six Bits today which was interesting.

Oh looking forward to that. It’s a bit down in my podcast queue, anything interesting said?

Oh looking forward to that. It’s a bit down in my podcast queue, anything interesting said?

That the show was/is in a state of flux...Jay leaving in Feb and then they pretty much went into doing a Covid version of the show and now they are trying to figure out what the show looks like in a back to school world. Have to say I think Ray and Laura bounce off each other better than him and Ciara do...this is all new so willing to give it a chance.

That the show was/is in a state of flux...Jay leaving in Feb and then they pretty much went into doing a Covid version of the show and now they are trying to figure out what the show looks like in a back to school world. Have to say I think Ray and Laura bounce off each other better than him and Ciara do...this is all new so willing to give it a chance.

Ray and a sweeping brush would have more of a rapport than him and Ciara, they just don't gel at all.

Laura is grand and all but she's not a DJ and it's very apparent and she tries WAYYYY too hard to be funny. When she's not that funny, she has a small following instagram who found her funny but that doesn't translate to a breakfast radio slot.

Foley did a near two hour episode on Dara Quilty's Different podcast and it was very in depth but excellent listening.

• Advertisement

Foley did a near two hour episode on Dara Quilty's Different podcast and it was very in depth but excellent listening.

Great I’ll add it to the work week playlist :)

Advertisement