Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toilets for Bus Drivers

Options
  • 12-08-2020 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I think DB, GAI and the NTA seriously all need to look at providing toilet facilities for bus drivers placed at termini like in London as part of bus connects. It is a nessecary provision for drivers. Expecting drivers to urinate in bottles or in the bushes at termini is not acceptable or have to return to garage is not acceptable.

These provisions will benefit the service for passengers too as they minimise disruption to service and will improve safety and working conditions for drivers hence reduce driver turnover and increase applications.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/bus-drivers-without-toilet-facilities-on-routes-due-to-covid-19-restrictions-1.4326491

Comments

I'm not a bus driver, and rarely ever am I on a bus, and this is the first thing I think of when I wonder what it'd be like to be a bus driver.

Truck driver can piss all over the inside of his cab if he wants - he's there alone, but a bus driver expected to piss in a bottle or find a hedge, with 30 people staring at him (can't imagine what you're expected to do if you drive long motorway routes, dublin/cork etc).

I'm lead to believe that on town/city routes, most local businesses will allow a driver in to use the toilet, but with Covid now I'd say a lot of the pubs and such are closed anyway..?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm not a bus driver, and rarely ever am I on a bus, and this is the first thing I think of when I wonder what it'd be like to be a bus driver.

Truck driver can piss all over the inside of his cab if he wants - he's there alone, but a bus driver expected to piss in a bottle or find a hedge, with 30 people staring at him (can't imagine what you're expected to do if you drive long motorway routes, dublin/cork etc).

I'm lead to believe that on town/city routes, most local businesses will allow a driver in to use the toilet, but with Covid now I'd say a lot of the pubs and such are closed anyway..?

This is not (or SHOULD not) be a split - the - atom issue.

In any modern Capital City,either the Local Authority,the Operator or the Regulatory Authority bears responsibility for the provision of basic health & safety hygene facilities.

However,Dublin is not ANY such Capital.

Here,it has been the case that NONE of the above have expressed or bothered to interest themselves with the issue.

I suggest that the National Transport Authority,who have repeatedly declared their affinity for a 'London Model' of Public Transport operations should immediately adopt the London approach to this issue...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/sadiq-khan-to-spend-6m-on-toilets-for-london-bus-drivers-a3765906.html

Job done ! ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

About the only thing the NBRU have raised as an issue that I imagine everyone agrees with. Not many other jobs that would have such requirements and most that would try such restrictions would be considered abusive employers!

Locally one terminus is just about an acceptable distance from a train station with toilets and the other is beside a Circle K that at least used to willingly allow drivers use their facilities; but neither is realistically a permanent solution

At the very, very least distant outstations should have provision and also any interchange hubs under BusConnects

Luas used to have facilities at The Point but they were demolished for a new road and I don't know what replaced them. During lockdown, none of the food retailers with toilets were open.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Driving years now, have no choice but to use cups, bottles or a tree.... Getting caught out can happen quite a lot and with such long duties it isn't easy.

We are to go back to the garage but how if bursting already half way through the journey....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I've noticed Kildare CC has what look like 10' containers that encompass generator, toilet, drying room and canteen. Similar type of facility connected to services would be easy enough to install in selected locations and drivers having a key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Darc19 wrote: »
    I've noticed Kildare CC has what look like 10' containers that encompass generator, toilet, drying room and canteen. Similar type of facility connected to services would be easy enough to install in selected locations and drivers having a key.

London for example has cubes where drivers have a toilet and sink.... Not looking for the Ritz but it would do nicely and been able to wash after is a plus....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Darc19 wrote: »

This crowd has the majority of that market I think for rentals at least.

I'd prefer more permanent setups, at least mains power not gensets (and mains water and sewage when available) but they aren't the ugliest units around and if given a muted paint job would fit in most places

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

L1011 wrote: »
    About the only thing the NBRU have raised as an issue that I imagine everyone agrees with. Not many other jobs that would have such requirements and most that would try such restrictions would be considered abusive employers!

Locally one terminus is just about an acceptable distance from a train station with toilets and the other is beside a Circle K that at least used to willingly allow drivers use their facilities; but neither is realistically a permanent solution

At the very, very least distant outstations should have provision and also any interchange hubs under BusConnects

Luas used to have facilities at The Point but they were demolished for a new road and I don't know what replaced them. During lockdown, none of the food retailers with toilets were open.

They still do have facilities in the retail centre there. They have access to a side door to a toilet,I see them going in and out all the time.

.G. wrote: »
    They still do have facilities in the retail centre there. They have access to a side door to a toilet,I see them going in and out all the time.

Oddly, more access than carparking customers have to toilets then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

L1011 wrote: »

They have toilet facilities at Brides Glen Luas stop. Also the terminus for the 7 and 111 buses but only Transdev staff are allowed use them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement