Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premiership Rugby 2020-2021

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wouldn't be better to wait until they've finished the current season in October? All the above transfers will be active in the finish to the 2019/20 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Exeter to keep Chiefs name & logo, but retire 'Big Chief' mascot

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53587404

• Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Exeter to keep Chiefs name & logo, but retire 'Big Chief' mascot

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53587404

Weird decision.

Half way (if even half way) won't satisfy anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Weird decision.

Half way (if even half way) won't satisfy anyone.

Why is the name Exeter Chiefs offensive and who finds it offensive?

bilston wrote: »
    Why is the name Exeter Chiefs offensive and who finds it offensive?

I don't recall saying it is or that someone did. I didn't proffer my opinion on that matter, I merely said that the decision is basically going half way - which will probably piss off both sides of the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't recall saying it is or that someone did. I didn't proffer my opinion on that matter, I merely said that the decision is basically going half way - which will probably piss off both sides of the discussion.

Didn't say you did. I just quoted your post in order to ask what was genuinely an honest question.

I'll happily edit my post to unquote your post if you want?

bilston wrote: »
    Didn't say you did. I just quoted your post in order to ask what was genuinely an honest question.

I'll happily edit my post to unquote your post if you want?

Nah, no big deal. I took your question the wrong way.

The name itself, nothing too bad. The mascot, emblem, etc, slightly more problematic, it seems.

From what I've read on the matter, some make a point that a (predominantly white, I'd guess) club in England with no ties to Native Americans or their culture are using elements of that culture for marketing/branding reasons, and making money off that. Could be argued that's exploitative, and given the exploitation/opression that Native Americans have suffered in the past at the hands of predominantly white people, that it's ... insensitive and tasteless, to put it mildly.

I personally don't really care either way, but I'm not Native American and the argument above is reasonable enough in my view. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say 'offensive', but certainly distasteful.

Given that they've just retired the mascot, but appear to be keeping the logo, it's just odd. If the mascot is an issue, surely the logo is too. Given they could rebrand fairly easily and keep the Chiefs name, it seemed a bit of a no-brainer. But then again, I'm not on the board (or whatever they have), or a marketing guru, so it's entirely possible I'm talking sh*t.

(I'm also fully sure there are more points to it than above, by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Seems reasonable enough. I don't think 'Chiefs' is derogatory in the same that 'Redskins' would be, or even 'Indians'. Dropping the mascot makes sense. I don't like it when people get outraged on other people's behalf, and I doubt many native Americans give a f**k to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Seems reasonable enough. I don't think 'Chiefs' is derogatory in the same that 'Redskins' would be, or even 'Indians'. Dropping the mascot makes sense. I don't like it when people get outraged on other people's behalf, and I doubt many native Americans give a f**k to be honest.

I'd be curious if many of them are even aware of the rugby union team from Exeter. That said, Exeter are perpetuating a pretty crass stereotype so I get why people might find it crass or tasteless. Outrage or offence would be pushing it unless those people have ties to the Native American community.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be curious if many of them are even aware of the rugby union team from Exeter. That said, Exeter are perpetuating a pretty crass stereotype so I get why people might find it crass or tasteless. Outrage or offence would be pushing it unless those people have ties to the Native American community.

Nope, they're outraged alright;

EeG38mhWoAgOLup?format=png&name=small

Is this what ye young fellas call virtue signalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was an interview from an Omaha tribe member from Nebraska on BBC5Live the other day speaking about it.

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1288756542020476929?s=20

Nope, they're outraged alright;

EeG38mhWoAgOLup?format=png&name=small

Is this what ye young fellas call virtue signalling?

Young fella!? Ah FF, you shouldn't have.

Yeah, I dont get being outraged on other peoples behalf. But then there's a lot of moral high horsing going around these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was at an Exeter game and did find the imagery/branding a bit bizarre.

There was an interview from an Omaha tribe member from Nebraska on BBC5Live the other day speaking about it.

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1288756542020476929?s=20

No doubt those who actively campaign on these sorts of issues know, but i was more wondering how many in the wider Native American community would.

I do think its crass, but beyond that I find it simply odd. Why did Exeter choose this? Do they have some link to the Native American community or was it just a gimmick? I'd wonder how we'd feel if an English sports team decided to call themselves the Paddys and had a drunken leprechaun as their mascot as a gimmick, like the character from the Simpsons. Obviously I couldn't give a crap about the latter, but I'd imagine there would be a good deal of outrage here to the former...

I read recently on wiki that Saracens FC came out of a merger between a "Saracens" club and a "Crusaders" club.

No doubt those who actively campaign on these sorts of issues know, but i was more wondering how many in the wider Native American community would.

I do think its crass, but beyond that I find it simply odd. Why did Exeter choose this? Do they have some link to the Native American community or was it just a gimmick? I'd wonder how we'd feel if an English sports team decided to call themselves the Paddys and had a drunken leprechaun as their mascot as a gimmick, like the character from the Simpsons. Obviously I couldn't give a crap about the latter, but I'd imagine there would be a good deal of outrage here to the former...

Notre-Dame-logo.jpg

Notre-Dame-logo.jpg

That branding I'm sure has helped to spread the angry/fighting/drunk stereotype that you often hear in US television. Whatever about the drunk connotation (:pac:) I don't find Irish people more angry or ill-tempered than others!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i personally dont give 2 fecks about the notre dame logo and mascot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Agustin Creevy and Rob Simmons are expected to sign for London Irish. They're starting to resemble a world class side from 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah I doubt there's a lot of focus on it stateside, especially considering what's happening over there, just thought it was interesting that there was input from Native Americans on it at all.

The Notre Dame thing is a little bit different though FF considering the origins of it are likely because of the President of Notre Dame who was a chaplain with the Irish Brigade in the civil war, and the fact that Indiana would've had a massive Irish immigrant population (think they're still something like the second largest ethnic group in Indianapolis).

As molloy says, it's just a bit strange that Exeter chose it as their branding at all, outside of marketing and PR purposes you'd wonder what the ties are. Which is where the outrage for using it comes from I'd say. No doubt there's definitely a strong wave of white people being outraged on behalf of minorities about it, but it's all just a bit iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

tbh it all smacks of “well changing all the branding would cost too much but it only costs a few hundred quid for a new mascot costume”.

mostly it’s a very stupid decision because it’s only going to piss off protesters who see it (rightfully) as doubling down on their racism, while the people who were supporting keeping it will see it as caving to the “woke leftist brigade” or whatever right wing nonsense they’re pushing these days.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i personally dont give 2 fecks about the notre dame logo and mascot.....

The fecks I give extend to not wearing anything ND related.

Holy crap. Live, proper rugby.

Ballsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Been too long since we had rugby from the top hemisphere

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s not quite four this weekend! It’s four games, one a week for the next four weeks.

Every other PRL game is live on BT Sport.

Harlequins:
    Brown; Ashton, Marchant, Lang, Earle; Smith, Landajo;
    Marler, Baldwin, Kerrod, Lewies, Symons, Chisholm, Robshaw (capt), Dombrandt.

Replacements: Gray, Garcia Botta, Collier, Lamb, Lawday, Evans, Steele, Lasike.

Sale:
    Hammersley; McGuigan, Tuilagi, Hill, Yarde; R du Preez, de Klerk;
    Oosthuizen, van der Merwe, John, J-L du Preez, de Jager, Ross (capt), T Curry, D du Preez.

Replacements: Langdon, Harrison, Cooper-Wooley, Phillips, B Curry, Cliff, MacGinty, Solomona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

fierce stench of Munster off that Sale side, 7 Saffas by my count

• Advertisement

fierce stench of Munster off that Sale side, 7 Saffas by my count

8 and Byron McGuigan came through the Western Province youth system.

Advertisement