Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DC charger advice between Glendalough and Swords

• 10-08-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, thinking of heading to Glendalough this weekend and looking for some advice on recharging on the way home (it's a Leaf 24kWh, hence why I need recharge between Wicklow and Dublin :rolleyes:)

I've two options of the way home, Tesco in Bray or the Applegreen M11 in Cullenmore.

I'd prefer not to end up in a charging queue as I'll have to listen to my better half complaining for ages about how EVs are dumb, my car sucks, why didn't we take her car, etc, etc. :(

My instinct is to go for the Applegreen in Cullenmore even though it's a detour as the supermarket chargers tend to be busier in my experience and if we end up queueing then we can get lunch/dinner while we wait.

Anyone have any advice on either of these chargers, how busy they are, how likely they are to be ICEed, etc?

Thanks in advance! :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Also DC charger in Tesco Wicklow Town which is rarely in use, a bit out of your way but an easy run from Rathdrum to Wicklow Town and back onto the N11

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

jspuds wrote: »
    Also DC charger in Tesco Wicklow Town which is rarely in use, a bit out of your way but an easy run from Rathdrum to Wicklow Town and back onto the N11

Good to know, it's a big further of a detour but it could be a good backup. I really hate being reliant on one charger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Somewhere inbetween, not too far off the M50 is the Fast Charger @ Lidl Sandyford
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/ecars+Fast+Charge+Point/@53.2795831,-6.2136614,17.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4867090f0aa4415f:0x6f6ee23653b07637!8m2!3d53.2803517!4d-6.213875?hl=en-GB

Exit @ J13 southbound or J14 northbound

homer911 wrote: »
    Somewhere inbetween, not too far off the M50 is the Fast Charger @ Lidl Sandyford
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/ecars+Fast+Charge+Point/@53.2795831,-6.2136614,17.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4867090f0aa4415f:0x6f6ee23653b07637!8m2!3d53.2803517!4d-6.213875?hl=en-GB

Exit @ J13 southbound or J14 northbound

Do you know if that one gets a lot of usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tbh, take her car, it really does sounds like less hassle.

• Advertisement

Tbh, take her car, it really does sounds like less hassle.

It would be simpler but I'd prefer not to do that for several reasons:

1. Her car is a 2008 Citroen C3, it's too small for the 4 of us and I end up mashed into the front passenger seat
    2. Her car has no air conditioning, and knowing my luck that day will be 30 degrees and we'll all be dying of heatstroke inside
    3. Honestly, I'd be worried about the car breaking down en route, it has a bad history with that

4. Taking her car would be giving in, and I don't want to do that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭innrain

The Stillorgan one is a good option.
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/35056
    It s paid parking 2eur minimum though. It's across an EZ Living so it might get expensive I your family stumbles in. It used to be busy or ICEd but since the covid experience not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

If it were me (I live close to you and had a Leaf24 until recently so feel the pain) I’d go to Cullenmore for a quick stop on the way there. Hopefully it will be available and you can grab a coffee and some snacks to take to Glendalough with you.

You’ll have more options on the way home, so I’d be checking the eCars app and if Cullenmore is available I’d just go back there, if not drive past and again check it Bray and then Sandyford are available as you get nearer.

Glendalough is a bit of an awkward spot from our location because the potential stops are a bit too early in the outward journey, so doing it with two short stops may be better.

Would be great if there were a couple of slow chargers in Glendalough!

Zenith74 wrote: »
    If it were me (I live close to you and had a Leaf24 until recently so feel the pain) I’d go to Cullenmore for a quick stop on the way there. Hopefully it will be available and you can grab a coffee and some snacks to take to Glendalough with you.

You’ll have more options on the way home, so I’d be checking the eCars app and if Cullenmore is available I’d just go back there, if not drive past and again check it Bray and then Sandyford are available as you get nearer.

Glendalough is a bit of an awkward spot from our location because the potential stops are a bit too early in the outward journey, so doing it with two short stops may be better.

Would be great if there were a couple of slow chargers in Glendalough!

Yeah it's a bit of a tricky one, but charging on the outward leg might work better as you say. If I call in to Cullenmore I'll have about 50%, then if I charge for the full 45 mins (assuming I'm not blocking anyone) I'll be pretty close to 100% which should be enough to get to Glendalough and home.

And I can just do a quick charge and then another on the way back if I'm running late.

I really wish they'd put slow chargers in tourist spots and parks, it'd be the perfect place to charge while getting a walk in or doing some sightseeing

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

I'd stop in Tesco Bray, it's on the way. Fast chargers are less busy since the charge were introduced earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=640378e6-892e-4342-a86d-b2376ec53751 - one 8 minute charge at Tesco Bray on the way back (assuming you start with 100% from Swords)

Advertisement