Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rules question - taking incorrect relief

• 10-08-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

In a recent competition, one of my playing partner's ball ended up under a tree but in a shallow rabbit hole. I suggested he could take relief from the rabbit hole but was unsure what the relief was. He took 2 club lengths without penalty and was able to play the ball.
    After the round, I looked it up and it transpires that no relief would be allowed as the ball was already unplayable under the tree.
    Now, this player has won a prize in the competition.
    What should happen here?
    a. Nothing as the relief was agreed with the group
    b. A 1 shot adjustment to his score as penalty for the unplayable lie
    c. DQ for signing for the wrong score

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tax_tutor1

Based on information set out- no relief due therefore should have taken relief under penalty and disqualified as he has signed for lower score than he actually scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think if he was able to take a stance at the ball then he should get relief. Was the tree preventing him from taking a stance to the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

In a recent competition, one of my playing partner's ball ended up under a tree but in a shallow rabbit hole. I suggested he could take relief from the rabbit hole but was unsure what the relief was. He took 2 club lengths without penalty and was able to play the ball.
    After the round, I looked it up and it transpires that no relief would be allowed as the ball was already unplayable under the tree.
    Now, this player has won a prize in the competition.
    What should happen here?
    a. Nothing as the relief was agreed with the group
    b. A 1 shot adjustment to his score as penalty for the unplayable lie
    c. DQ for signing for the wrong score

Did he think he could hit it where is laid?

Sounds similar to this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZywNB9MjZe8&t=169s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Just had a brief search in the rules app for this and it might be a bit grey.
    Rule 20.2E says normally a penalty must not be added or corrected after a competition has closed bla, bla....

And then goes on to say a player must be DQ’d even after a competition has closed if they returned a score lower than what was taken on a hole, for any reason other than not including penalty shots that, before the competition closed, the player didn’t know about.

Could it be argued that your player didn’t know about the penalty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

Under a tree is really not specific enough. Its rule 16.1 and he would not be given a free drop if he was unable to make a stroke due to the tree. Its one clublength not two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

etxp wrote: »
    I think if he was able to take a stance at the ball then he should get relief. Was the tree preventing him from taking a stance to the ball?

Absolutely. Thick conifer type.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Under a tree is really not specific enough. Its rule 16.1 and he would not be given a free drop if he was unable to make a stroke due to the tree. Its one clublength not two.

It would definitely have been an unplayable lie. It would have superceded the rabbit hole and a penalty should have been applied.
    It was sorta thought of as a lucky break that it was in the rabbit hole. But no one definitely knew the rule at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What's a "shallow" rabbit hole? I can imagine a few using that one.

PARlance wrote: »

It was about an inch deep and 4 inches wide but was clearly scraped out. Ball was sitting right in the middle of it. As opposed to a rabbit burrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Ha, is he a buddy of yours? If not he might not put his name down beside yours again :P

1) You told him he could have relief.
    2) He took it.
    3) He won comp.
    4) You're trying to DQ him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

PARlance wrote: »

It's about 5 ants deep..

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Ha, is he a buddy of yours? If not he might not put his name down beside yours again :P

1) You told him he could have relief.
    2) He took it.
    3) He won comp.
    4) You're trying to DQ him :D

Not a buddy but I know him and don't want to fall out with him. I stand to gain nothing from him losing his prize. :D

Advertisement