Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KOTS3

Gone for an accumulator of Naas, St L’s, Sarsfields and Raheens for this weekend. Around 7/1. Raheens moved into evens on PP/ Boyles but still available at 6/4 on Bar One. Naas should win but maybe a little short?

Any shouts for other outrights? Have seen Cavan Gaels, St Columbas, Cuala for Sen B and Ballinamore all tipped. Rhode the team to beat in Offaly this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Do bar one have an app?

I was using 888 sport for a while but they’re crap for GAA

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Do bar one have an app?

I was using 888 sport for a while but they’re crap for GAA

Yep, Bar One Racing on the iPhone App Store

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Ballyhale,Dicksboro,James Stephens,Clara pays 2/1.Fairly short but I reckon its a good thing.

Reasoning behind the above bet:

2019 all ireland senior v intermediate champs. Usually when KK team wins intermediate they start well senior with momentum,however Covid has stopped the momentum for Tullaroan and Ballyhale are just a different league. Handicap of 5 looks good for Ballyhsle.
    Clara gave Shamrocks their toughest test in KK last year and should be far too strong for Ballycallan,2018 inter champs who would prob be favourites for relegation.
    James Stephens should be accounting for Danesfort, Richie Hogan coming to the end I would think and they just dont have enough strenght in depth.
    Dicksboro bet The Rower last year by 15-20 points ,should be a comfortable win for the boro.Rower just dont have the forwards.

Good luck to anyone having a punt. Up the cats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

pablo24 wrote: »
    Hi Lundstram,

I’ve gotten similar word from a friend of mine in Kildare, he gave those two and Raheens as the stand out bets, any opinion on that game?
    Lundstram wrote: »
    Raheens will be favorites for sure and there's strong rumours Maynooth's talisman Neil Flynn has pulled a hamstring and will miss the game. Raheens play a division higher than Maynooth in the league, winning one (4-14 to 1-14 last weekend against St. Laurences) and drawing one. Maynooth lost last weekend by 2 points to TMH but did have an impressive win against Kilcock the weekend before.

All things considered, 6/4 about a Raheens win is a very good price.
    Easy 3-8 to 0-9 win for Raheens in the end.

Is there anywhere online that does Intermediate games? PP have stopped quoting odds.

kilkenny34 wrote: »
    Ballyhale,Dicksboro,James Stephens,Clara pays 2/1.Fairly short but I reckon its a good thing.

Shortest price Ballyhale drew and let the bet down.TJ poor and Colin Fennelly didnt look a bit interested.Not the first time a draw lets the accum down.

Unlucky the last day. Should have followed my own advice and left off Naas for being too short.

Picks for this week.
    Clontibret 1/3
    Edenderry 1/3
    Pearse Og 1/3
    St Joseph’s 4/11
    Ballinamore SOH 2/9
    Total 3/1

Also a little poke at Tullaroan at 7/4. The draw against Ballyhale should bring them on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I would say Kenmare are worth a punt at odds against tonight vs Dr Crokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

KOTS3 wrote: »
    Unlucky the last day. Should have followed my own advice and left off Naas for being too short.

Picks for this week.
    Clontibret 1/3
    Edenderry 1/3
    Pearse Og 1/3
    St Joseph’s 4/11
    Ballinamore SOH 2/9
    Total 3/1

Also a little poke at Tullaroan at 7/4. The draw against Ballyhale should bring them on

Is that St Joseph's of Laois , they were bate last night ?

• Advertisement

Same As wrote: »
    I would say Kenmare are worth a punt at odds against tonight vs Dr Crokes.

Won, 3/1

Just a quick question,do the likes of paddy power and boylesports have a person at all these matches conducting the live betting or is someone in the office listening on radio.Ballyhale v O Loughlins was not live on t last night but had in running betting. Be strange how they could get one of the 200 tickets?Might seem a silly question. By the way if anyone is game we might kidnsp their source some game in the near future😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Just a quick question,do the likes of paddy power and boylesports have a person at all these matches conducting the live betting or is someone in the office listening on radio.Ballyhale v O Loughlins was not live on t last night but had in running betting. Be strange how they could get one of the 200 tickets?Might seem a silly question. By the way if anyone is game we might kidnsp their source some game in the near future😄

It was being live streamed on youtube or some other platform i think so some paddy power GAA stats whizz kid must have been watching it.

I doubt they use radio coverage for betting in running. Wouldn't really give you a good idea of how a game is going compared to being at a match or watching it on tv.

It was being live streamed on youtube or some other platform i think so some paddy power GAA stats whizz kid must have been watching it.

I doubt they use radio coverage for betting in running. Wouldn't really give you a good idea of how a game is going compared to being at a match or watching it on tv.

Yes it is interesting though as for years they have been doing in running odds before live streams came about. You would def be correct regarding radio I suppose,no way of judging strenght of wind etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

KOTS3 wrote: »

Picks for this week.
    Clontibret 1/3
    Edenderry 1/3
    Pearse Og 1/3
    St Joseph’s 4/11
    Ballinamore SOH 2/9
    Total 3/1

How’s this holding up or what’s been played already? Lining up a GAA acca as we speak

Just a quick question,do the likes of paddy power and boylesports have a person at all these matches conducting the live betting or is someone in the office listening on radio.Ballyhale v O Loughlins was not live on t last night but had in running betting. Be strange how they could get one of the 200 tickets?Might seem a silly question. By the way if anyone is game we might kidnsp their source some game in the near future��

The bookies often tap up journalists to provide them with live information on local club games, allowing them to offer BIR on games that aren't live streamed.

Same As wrote: »
    The bookies often tap up journalists to provide them with live information on local club games, allowing them to offer BIR on games that aren't live streamed.

Cheers Same As,balaclava on in Nowlan Park for the next game ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Betting suspended on Castleisland v Laune Rangers (Killorglin) Intermediate championship match after "irregular betting patterns".

A draw will do both teams to go through so maybe some skullduggery is at play.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40028999.html?type=amp

dobman88 wrote: »
    Betting suspended on Castleisland v Laune Rangers (Killorglin) Intermediate championship match after "irregular betting patterns".

Please God it ends a draw,no bet on it just hope alot of punters avail of the long odds and beat the bookies.

Please God it ends a draw,no bet on it just hope alot of punters avail of the long odds and beat the bookies.

What about the punters that back either team to win that dont know about any skulduggery? Anyway how hard would it be for both teams to ensure a draw is played out? No way all or even most players would be in on it.

Would be easier to manipulate the other markets like handicap spreads, goals, red cards etc. But doubt a match like that would have many markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Anyone got any bets for today or tomorrow?

What about the punters that back either team to win that dont know about any skulduggery? Anyway how hard would it be for both teams to ensure a draw is played out? No way all or even most players would be in on it.

Would be easier to manipulate the other markets like handicap spreads, goals, red cards etc. But doubt a match like that would have many markets.

Well generally a draw would be the longest odds you could get available. Intermediate nearly always just match betting bar county finals. Usually minimum of 7/1 in football for a draw so def would be the bookies biggest liability in this game, you would imagine most bets on intermediate games are from that county whereas senior bets made from all over the country as people have more knowledge of the teams.

Have never heard of betting being suspended due to betting on a draw,wouldnt be easy alrite. But its happened in World Cups,I know soccer be a lot easier but there wont be any great investigation into a local club game I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Didn't know bookies were doing intermediate games this year, asked for odds for Ros club games and was told they weren't doing them by PP/Betfair

Anyone got any bets for today or tomorrow?

Nothing really but reckon the overs in points totals will have good chance with the weather so good.

franglan wrote: »
    Didn't know bookies were doing intermediate games this year, asked for odds for Ros club games and was told they weren't doing them by PP/Betfair

Local bookies maybe. In Kilkenny they have matches priced for knockout championship.

Sometimes the bookies make mistakes. I remember about 10 years ago Ladbrokes did a GAA special of 4/5 for two out of that weekends four live GAA intercounty football matches to have a goal in the game. A friend of mine rang me up that Sat morning. I remember it because i put 500e on it and the first two games that Sat evening both had a goal scored. Armagh were one team not sure the other. It was one of the most stress free bets i've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Sometimes the bookies make mistakes. I remember about 10 years ago Ladbrokes did a GAA special of 4/5 for two out of that weekends four live GAA intercounty football matches to have a goal in the game. A friend of mine rang me up that Sat morning. I remember it because i put 500e on it and the first two games that Sat evening both had a goal scored. Armagh were one team not sure the other. It was one of the most stress free bets i've ever done.

Surprised they didn't go down the palpable error route here as a cop out...

franglan wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't go down the palpable error route here as a cop out...

The offer was on the racing post thing that is in the bookies. It was a full page with all the odds and details.

Maybe a mistake is not the appropriate word for it but i felt it was an offer i couldn't refuse. I only wished i had put more on it.

I think the odds for most intercounty football games to have a goal these days is 1/8 or 1/10 or something very skinny like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »

The thing is that given a draw will suit both teams, it's very easy to see a situation where if the scores are level with 5/10 minutes to go both sides just go ultra-defensive and sit 13 players back and ease the foot off the accelerator.

There's also the fact that coming first or second makes no difference whatsoever as the draw for the next round is unseeded - the only restriction is that teams can't meet teams they have played already. So this means there is no incentive to topping the group or no disadvantage to coming 2nd as opposed to 1st.

This is the final game in a 4 team group and in the previous 4 games, there has been 1 draw, a 1 point victory, a 4 point victory and a 6 point victory.

Before the competition started most people would have said these two teams would have been battling for the 2nd spot - with Rathmore strong favourites to go through [Rathmore were relegated from Senior last year and would have been among the favourites to win the Intermediate this year but they had 2 woeful 2nd half collapses in both their games ]

My main point is that this game was probably good odds of being a tight affair even before the results from the previous games so I really wouldn't be surprised if this does end up a draw.

All this is before the betting side of things comes into play at all. Chances are this is a small enough market so you could understand a bookie closing the market even if only a small enough amount of money went on the draw.I could easily see a bookie getting spooked when they realised that a draw would mean both teams going through and the team finishing 2nd in the group being in the exact same situation as the team who finished 1st.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The thing is that given a draw will suit both teams, it's very easy to see a situation where if the scores are level with 5/10 minutes to go both sides just go ultra-defensive and sit 13 players back and ease the foot off the accelerator.

There's also the fact that coming first or second makes no difference whatsoever as the draw for the next round is unseeded - the only restriction is that teams can't meet teams they have played already. So this means there is no incentive to topping the group or no disadvantage to coming 2nd as opposed to 1st.

This is the final game in a 4 team group and in the previous 4 games, there has been 1 draw, a 1 point victory, a 4 point victory and a 6 point victory.

Before the competition started most people would have said these two teams would have been battling for the 2nd spot - with Rathmore strong favourites to go through [Rathmore were relegated from Senior last year and would have been among the favourites to win the Intermediate this year but they had 2 woeful 2nd half collapses in both their games ]

My main point is that this game was probably good odds of being a tight affair even before the results from the previous games so I really wouldn't be surprised if this does end up a draw.

All this is before the betting side of things comes into play at all. Chances are this is a small enough market so you could understand a bookie closing the market even if only a small enough amount of money went on the draw.I could easily see a bookie getting spooked when they realised that a draw would mean both teams going through and the team finishing 2nd in the group being in the exact same situation as the team who finished 1st.

Situations like this are win win for the bookies tbh.

If for example, in this instance, the outcome of the game was a draw, they would no doubt have voided all bets regarding the game and point to the t's and c's saying they don't have to pay out due to the irregular activity. Or, as has transpired, the punted outcome does not occur, and they settle all irregular activity bets as losers and move on as nothing has happened.

By right, if irregular patterns are identified pre event, then all bets on the match should be declared void in advance, rather than the bookies being able to have their bread buttered on both sides.

Advertisement