Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do Air Source Heat Pumps sound like?

Options
  • 07-08-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

I have heard everything online from "You can barely hear them" to "I can't sleep at night with the incessant noise from my neighbour's ASHP"

Does anyone have a recording of what they actually sound like? I can find a few videos on Youtube, but they're generally taken with a phone which filters out background noise, so not very helpful.

Alternatively, does anyone know anywhere around Dublin I can see one in use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Barely more audible than a fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

If so, how come so many people seem to have such a problem with the noise?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We had one fitted at Christmas time. I can hear it in the house when it's running. i have super sensitive hearing and its nothing more than hearing the fridge running.
    the others in the house only hear it if they really listen for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's the noise outside I'm worried about, as we've neighbours right next to it, and I don't want them to be annoyed by the noise.

Does it sound like a fan, or is it more buzzy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Blisterman wrote: »
    It's the noise outside I'm worried about, as we've neighbours right next to it, and I don't want them to be annoyed by the noise.

Does it sound like a fan, or is it more buzzy?

to me it sounds similar to the air conditioning units you see outside shops or offices. I guess like a big fan. Don't recall it being a buzzing noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ShanE90

This is at full speed while heating DHW, as loud as it gets for about 20-30min while reheating tank, about 10m from house on the side of the garage and can’t be heard unless your close by, if you have to put in near your house don’t use brackets mount it on rubber feet so the noise doesn’t carry through the walls

https://youtu.be/qxI5ses01P0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That’s noisy. Definitely louder than any fridge I’ve ever heard! I know it’s outside so you are insulated a bit from it.

I wouldn’t want to be listening to it or pissing off the neighbours with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's insane. I hope you don't live in a housing estate or have neighbours within a hundred meters :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

ShanE90 wrote: »
    This is at full speed while heating DHW, as loud as it gets for about 20-30min while reheating tank, about 10m from house on the side of the garage and can’t be heard unless your close by, if you have to put in near your house don’t use brackets mount it on rubber feet so the noise doesn’t carry through the walls

https://youtu.be/qxI5ses01P0

Sounds like mine (12kW NIBE 2040) when it's fully lit (very cold winter's night). Whether OP's will reach that intensity will probably depend on the house, the HP's brand etc. But mine doesn't sounds like my fridge when it's very cold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I dont know about you but my fridge does NOT sound like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

our neighbours have it on their house. In the winter you can tell its working harder because i can hear the fan humming away. It looks and sounds like a big industrial ari-con unit. I dread to think what its like in their house as they have it mounted to their wall near a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Mine is mounted onto an exterior wall of the house, well away from my bedroom, the hum and vibration annoys the hell out of me.
    Thinking of mounting it onto a frame that is bolted onto the path..
    That will probably vibrate and annoy me also.
    (I am a terrible sleeper)

Advertisement