Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 12th Lock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

xl500 wrote: »
    What time was that when you passed from the train because at 22.30 Last night Lots of noise emanating from premises

Earlier in the evening but at 22.30 when I was sitting at home nothing could be heard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

In the search for somewhere to eat outdoors yesterday we ventured down to 12th Lock. Outdoors was very busy so we ended up sittin ginside near the doors. Both of us had burgers (different menu to last time we were there) and they were grand. Nothing to get too excited about but grand. I was impressed with how quickly we got food considering just how busy they were. Bf was dying to sit outside but they were operating a waiting list for outdoor tables and he was starving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 phoenix_flyer

Tomorrow is the last day for appeals to the Appeals Board. Let's home somebody appeals in order to expose all the porkies which were submitted to Fingal County Council. The Council's decision itself was seriously flawed and the only way that can be challenged is by 1st or 3rd party appeal to the Board. If it is appealed it will be interesting to see if the objectors accept that they were submitting material to the County Council which clearly was untrue. Interesting days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Interesting days ahead probably means you are aware of an appeal as to untruths the developers agent was guilty of some clear misrepresentation of facts a point alluded to in the planners report and clear for anyone to read

I have no doubt if it is appealed the board will uphold the decision and indeed may even place stricter conditions as they have done previously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Was there for an early brunch yesterday. had table booked for noon, The place was quiet but we still had to wait for them to set up a table for us. They then messed up the drinks order. There were loads of floor staff on but it was a struggle for them to take our food order. We then waited over an hour for basic food and in that time only 2 other tables appeared to get food. Total mess and no one from the floor staff made any effort.
    The food selection was good, the quality was ok but nothing special. The service was once again terrible. I would certainly never go for food again with kids as they were going mad by the time the food eventually came.

• Advertisement

Interesting days ahead probably means you are aware of an appeal as to untruths the developers agent was guilty of some clear misrepresentation of facts a point alluded to in the planners report and clear for anyone to read

I have no doubt if it is appealed the board will uphold the decision and indeed may even place stricter conditions as they have done previously

I have no idea but I would be amazed if the Hotel owners did not appeal. There were some serious flaws in Fingal's decision, some of which were prompted by some of the objectors submissions. I remember 2005 when many of the same objectors really annoyed the appeals board with highly arrogant and vexatious submissions. History has a habit of repeating itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I remember 2005 when many of the same objectors really annoyed the appeals board with highly arrogant and vexatious submissions. History has a habit of repeating itself.

I guess you're making this up so as to try influence any future objections.

So how are you related to the premises, and if your claim that you're only interested in planning matters why do you have no interest in anything else planning related in Fingal, or do you do that under one of your other user names?

History is not the only thing that has a habit of repeating itself around here.

I feel I am entitled to my view on these matters as well as all other contributors and I am not connected to the business as you suggest. The problem with groups in different estates in a particular area getting together to campaign against a development is that they tend to submit the same maps and documentation. If one is wrong, they are all wrong and this becomes clear to the appeals board. And some of these groups mascarading as residents associations are not properly registered as such. This type of thing is contrary to proper planning in any area.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Tomorrow is the last day for appeals to the Appeals Board. Let's home somebody appeals in order to expose all the porkies which were submitted to Fingal County Council. The Council's decision itself was seriously flawed and the only way that can be challenged is by 1st or 3rd party appeal to the Board. If it is appealed it will be interesting to see if the objectors accept that they were submitting material to the County Council which clearly was untrue. Interesting days ahead.

Pity the same courtesy wasn't extended in this forum so your stoic defence of the 12th Lock could be a bit more transparent. I'm sure that nobody would misconstrue that as intimidatory.

At least to be fair you do so in good spirits one could almost say you're gregarious in your posting, which is probably as you'd say why the 12th Lock is so popular with politicians, celebrities and the great and good of Irish society.

I feel I am entitled to my view on these matters as well as all other contributors and I am not connected to the business as you suggest. The problem with groups in different estates in a particular area getting together to campaign against a development is that they tend to submit the same maps and documentation. If one is wrong, they are all wrong and this becomes clear to the appeals board. And some of these groups mascarading as residents associations are not properly registered as such. This type of thing is contrary to proper planning in any area.

Any other views on the other fine dining venues of Castleknock? How would you compare the 12th Lock to De Bruins or Castello Bruno for example?

I find De Bruins to be styled as a pastiche of a Northern English boozer, the windows are terrible but the staff to be fair are very nice.

Castello Bruno on the other hand as a pizzeria really is disappointing lately, struggles to match the standard of the production line pizzas of Milano.

Lots of time for the Lo Cal and Douglas & Khaldi for breakfast in particular. If Myos gets it's act together it would be a fantastic asset to those of us living in Castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Rosser wrote: »
    Any other views on the other fine dining venues of Castleknock? How would you compare the 12th Lock to De Bruins or Castello Bruno for example?

I find De Bruins to be styled as a pastiche of a Northern English boozer, the windows are terrible but the staff to be fair are very nice.

Castello Bruno on the other hand as a pizzeria really is disappointing lately, struggles to match the standard of the production line pizzas of Milano.

To the best of my knowledge all of these establishments (open to correction:) ) are owned by the same family. So it going to be the same old, same old........... no matter which one you go to.
    If Myos gets it's act together it would be a fantastic asset to those of us living in Castleknock.

Myos hasn't had it act together for over 20 years, it is stale, tired, in serious need of new management and a make over.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge all of these establishments (open to correction:) ) are owned by the same family. So it going to be the same old, same old........... no matter which one you go to.

Myos hasn't had it act together for over 20 years, it is stale, tired, in serious need of new management and a make over.

Yeah you're dead right about Myos and so much potential, there was talk of Wrights having an interest in it which would be good if they were able to rejuvenate it as they managed with the Anglers.

As for the others, indeed a very good point, they do smack of similar generic standard....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, knock it off with the sly digs please. Thank you.

I have no idea but I would be amazed if the Hotel owners did not appeal. There were some serious flaws in Fingal's decision, some of which were prompted by some of the objectors submissions. I remember 2005 when many of the same objectors really annoyed the appeals board with highly arrogant and vexatious submissions. History has a habit of repeating itself.

Just as you said Fingal would see the submissions as vexatious and they didnt I am sure An Bord Pleanala will also see they are Genuine

Anyone who wants to can see all previous decisions by An Bord Pleanala and not one of them that I can see where the board got really annoyed I actually dont think thats the way they operate they decide based on Planning Guidelines And I actually believe if it is appealed the Board will impose more conditions but again they may also find the objections are vexatious but I suppose as you seem to believe the objectors fooled FCC there is every chance they will fool An Bord Pleanala but I actually believe the decisions are made by professional people who are not easily fooled and People who flout the Planning Laws will be seen as very vexatious and will Seriously Annoy the Board

Zaph wrote: »
    OK folks, knock it off with the sly digs please. Thank you.

:confused:

Just as you said Fingal would see the submissions as vexatious and they didnt I am sure An Bord Pleanala will also see they are Genuine

Anyone who wants to can see all previous decisions by An Bord Pleanala and not one of them that I can see where the board got really annoyed I actually dont think thats the way they operate they decide based on Planning Guidelines And I actually believe if it is appealed the Board will impose more conditions but again they may also find the objections are vexatious but I suppose as you seem to believe the objectors fooled FCC there is every chance they will fool An Bord Pleanala but I actually believe the decisions are made by professional people who are not easily fooled and People who flout the Planning Laws will be seen as very vexatious and will Seriously Annoy the Board

Well if the people who have made individual objections and observations, as they are supposed to do unless they have registered their Residents Association with the Registrar of Friendly Societies as they are required by law, have submitted genuine observations and objections, then they have absolutely nothing to fret about. However if they have been spinning yarns and myths in order to get an unfair advantage in the process then they will find that their stories will be unveiled and opened up to proper scrutiny. Unfortunately it is a fact that parish pump politics are alive and well in Ireland today and local Councils and Councillors tend to capitulate when they are bombarded by groups and individuals. The appeals board are immune to this type of bombardment and will in most cases come to a conclusion which is correct in law. Let's hope that there is an appeal "in the can" at this stage.

Well if the people who have made individual objections and observations, as they are supposed to do unless they have registered their Residents Association with the Registrar of Friendly Societies as they are required by law, have submitted genuine observations and objections, then they have absolutely nothing to fret about. However if they have been spinning yarns and myths in order to get an unfair advantage in the process then they will find that their stories will be unveiled and opened up to proper scrutiny. Unfortunately it is a fact that parish pump politics are alive and well in Ireland today and local Councils and Councillors tend to capitulate when they are bombarded by groups and individuals. The appeals board are immune to this type of bombardment and will in most cases come to a conclusion which is correct in law. Let's hope that there is an appeal "in the can" at this stage.

Well looking at AllPrevious Rulings related to this site I believe and it is only my opinion that the developer completely ignored all concerns of planning authority and neighbours and instead of trying to address any of the concerns you continually try to portray anyone with a conflicting view as vexatious and if as you say there is an appeal in the can then I am quite sure looking at this developers attitude to planning and objectors genuine concerns that the Planning Board will not reverse this decision and indeed will continue to insist on proper planning and development in the area and I am also sure that as you say Local Reps were lobbied and that they were lobbied by the developer.

It is also hard to take someone decrying Parish Pump Politics while at the same time a developer builds unauthorised development and is brought to task for it that to me is exactly the type of behaviour that "parish pump politics" has supported down through the years but because the outcome now does not suit your point of view its normal to dismiss it

As I said from outcome The Planners will decide and they have and An Bord Pleanala will also if there is an appeal and that is the way it works and They decide not just taking the developers View or yours or mine but take all into a/c and also their Professional view as to what is best and in this case I am quite confident that the decision will be upheld but I am also quite sure that if that happens you will also say that An Bord Pleanala are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    :confused:

I am assuming it refers to this:
    Pity the same courtesy wasn't extended in this forum so your stoic defence of the 12th Lock could be a bit more transparent. I'm sure that nobody would misconstrue that as intimidatory.

At least to be fair you do so in good spirits one could almost say you're gregarious in your posting, which is probably as you'd say why the 12th Lock is so popular with politicians, celebrities and the great and good of Irish society.

If not, than what a coincidental choice of word :pac:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=greg+browne+restaurant&oq=greg+browne&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.2484j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The planning decision has been appealed anyway, so more to come on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

lostkeys wrote: »
    anybody know what the story is with this place outside area closed now

I was there recently Covid procedures leave a lot to be desired

You really don't like this place dontcha. Always something wrong with it according to you it seems

What is your question actually? What do you mean what is the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 lostkeys

amdublin wrote: »
    You really don't like this place dontcha. Always something wrong with it according to you it seems

What is your question actually? What do you mean what is the story?

just wondering why outside area is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

One of, if not the worst level of service I've ever experienced in a pub restaurant of this type. Went 4 times and at least 6 months between each visit, always on the hope that the previous bad visit was just a one off. It's in a really nice setting which is why it was very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

One of, if not the worst level of service I've ever experienced in a pub restaurant of this type. Went 4 times and at least 6 months between each visit, always on the hope that the previous bad visit was just a one off. It's in a really nice setting which is why it was very disappointing.

That’s gas.

Just for a bit of balance I’ve been multiple times in the past few years and never once had a bad experience with service.

A little slower maybe than I’d like but it’s a busy place or was when I was going so can excuse that.

The service/waitresses/waiters/bar staff were always very polite and got a tip to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

lostkeys wrote: »
    just wondering why outside area is closed

I was told by a staff member there that they were refused permission by the council to use it as a seating area for the consumption of food and drink. It's such a shame as it would be such a great spot if they allowed this. It would also help in these Covid times too.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I was told by a staff member there that they were refused permission by the council to use it as a seating area for the consumption of food and drink. It's such a shame as it would be such a great spot if they allowed this. It would also help in these Covid times too.

I believe a number of local objections we’re received in regard of the excessive noise which was coming from the Outdoor area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

IngazZagni wrote: »

Awh, that's a bummer. Ideal spot during weather like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

raheny red wrote: »
    Awh, that's a bummer. Ideal spot during weather like this.

The outdoor area has both been an incredible spot over the years, even pre the current incarnation, and a source of friction with the local community and planning permissions. Frequently seems to be problems around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The outdoor area has both been an incredible spot over the years, even pre the current incarnation, and a source of friction with the local community and planning permissions. Frequently seems to be problems around it.

Used to to live close to the 12th lock. Outside area caused a lot of noise, especially on warm summer nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Pity its closed, as outdoor areas are really needed now with Covid.
    But I've noticed a lot more rats along the canal beside Castleknock train station/12th lock recently.
    Maybe they have always been there and I some how didn't notice.

(for me to get there with the buggy I need to walk under the bridge and I met a furry friend on Saturday, think i'll give it a miss for while)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 lostkeys

mistake

Advertisement