Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads rerun edition!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd forgotten through lockdown how grating that "I'm lovin it" whistle is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I’m fairly certain it’s that Niamh wan from fair city with a silly mournful girlish accent. Anyone notice how the evening after they made the decision about keeping the pubs closed your wan was in first thing the following morning with her renewed commands, obviously recorded well in advance of the decision by the government.

The way she pronounces "four" annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

That bloody Virtual Fleadh ad, cringeworthy. It's all over RTE Radio 1 and is driving me nuts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I’m fairly certain it’s that Niamh wan from fair city with a silly mournful girlish accent. Anyone notice how the evening after they made the decision about keeping the pubs closed your wan was in first thing the following morning with her renewed commands, obviously recorded well in advance of the decision by the government.

Entirely plausible that the ad was recorded that evening; anyone doing extensive VO work is going to have a home studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone hear the ad for Kreigner or something like that power washers. theres an irish voiceover guy putting ona terrible German accent because the Power Washers are German, and were told all things German are great. I was expecting him to break into "Zis waad neva hav happened undar de NAZIs" from Harry Enfield.

Im surprised that it has not been pulled in this current woke climate. Someone please think of the German children, GERMAN LIVES MATTER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The way she pronounces "four" annoys me.

Me too, foe iiir, and that’s what she calls her neutral accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

L1011 wrote: »
    Entirely plausible that the ad was recorded that evening; anyone doing extensive VO work is going to have a home studio.

Well she was well behind for a long time on the lockdown telling everyone to stay at home long after the restriction was lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Oakpark Ad for rashers or something similar with - we two brothers ... and one, the ingrate, who makes a point of saying "and somethings like great granny didn't use to make" ugh..... makes me want to reach for my gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Virgin football ad with a full bore early Alan Partridge style "goalllllll!" "Ronaldooooo!" type insert from Conor McNamara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Oakpark Ad for rashers or something similar with - we two brothers ... and one, the ingrate, who makes a point of saying "and somethings like great granny didn't use to make" ugh..... makes me want to reach for my gun.

I don't know what it is about that as either but it's bloody infuriating!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Kalimah

God I hate that Oakpark one too.
    And the one for Vision Express with the English accent, followed closely by the plummy voiced old guy advertising 2% off Skodas.

Del.Monte wrote: »

"Jaahn" and "Dave-idd".
    **** off please.

You'd swear it was all made in granny's kitchen, not in industrial units with min wage workers in hairnets, cutesy family business crap. I suppose you need some ad campaign with a bland, forgettable business name.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone hear the ad for Kreigner or something like that power washers. theres an irish voiceover guy putting ona terrible German accent because the Power Washers are German, and were told all things German are great. I was expecting him to break into "Zis waad neva hav happened undar de NAZIs" from Harry Enfield.

Im surprised that it has not been pulled in this current woke climate. Someone please think of the German children, GERMAN LIVES MATTER

Vill somevun please sink of Der Kinder?

This is back.
    Again, it's funny that we actually have real Germans, French etc living here and the ad agency uses a Paddy to do an embarrassing 'Allo 'Allo accent.

Vill somevun please sink of Der Kinder?

This is back.
    Again, it's funny that we actually have real Germans, French etc living here and the ad agency uses a Paddy to do an embarrassing 'Allo 'Allo accent.

why the need for accent ad at all? like harvey norman had to have an aussie accent and ikea with a swedish accent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well she was well behind for a long time on the lockdown telling everyone to stay at home long after the restriction was lifted.

Copy circulation is not down to the VO.

why the need for accent ad at all? like harvey norman had to have an aussie accent and ikea with a swedish accent.

At least they aren't fake accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Elephant storage. "Nought nought nought nought nought nought"

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Elephant storage. "Nought nought nought nought nought nought"

Ahh, poor old Rory, he's still struggling with leaving the mid-20th century. :D

a few issues immediatly sprung to mind the minute i heard the OAKPARK rashers ad.
    granny Brett= good chance protestant name, therefore probabaly not small farmers, more like 250+ acres in Tipp which equals pretty much aristocracy back in the day.
    - sets them to growing barley to feed the pigs, this isnt 2 acres to feed 20 piggies, more like 150 acres to feed huge intensively farmed pigs in the hundreds, pretty much factory farming of 1920s probably a scale unknown at the time. this crowd are no small time operators no matter what spin the put on it.

Now the two brothers if its them voices on the ad somethings up. One is happy/yappy, diddly idle doo accent. the other has Aiden Gillen crossed with Gerry Fish. I cant even make out what he says "... from feeeaa to fry up..." am i right in this or is it field anyway perhaps hes betraying the the aristocracy accent roots and giving the game away. definitly strange accents on both very litle Tipp there.

Latest AIB "backing brave" (sic.) offerring with what sounds like a skipping Clannad record as background music.

• Advertisement

a few issues immediatly sprung to mind the minute i heard the OAKPARK rashers ad.
    granny Brett= good chance protestant name, therefore probabaly not small farmers, more like 250+ acres in Tipp which equals pretty much aristocracy back in the day.
    - sets them to growing barley to feed the pigs, this isnt 2 acres to feed 20 piggies, more like 150 acres to feed huge intensively farmed pigs in the hundreds, pretty much factory farming of 1920s probably a scale unknown at the time. this crowd are no small time operators no matter what spin the put on it.

Now the two brothers if its them voices on the ad somethings up. One is happy/yappy, diddly idle doo accent. the other has Aiden Gillen crossed with Gerry Fish. I cant even make out what he says "... from feeeaa to fry up..." am i right in this or is it field anyway perhaps hes betraying the the aristocracy accent roots and giving the game away. definitly strange accents on both very litle Tipp there.

You're reading a lot into this but I suspect you're wrong as a brief look at the 1911 census indicates that Brett is an RC name - not that it matters - and as for the accents having aristocratic roots....Lol...just a bogger accent. :D

They're voiceovers, very very few ads feature real people who actually work in the companies advertised, maybe poor old Rory from Nought, Nought, Nought, Nought.

Why do we have ads running currently for a golf nerd hotel and resort in Covid hotspot Catalunya of all places??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is that the wedding guy from RTÉ giving us the Covid “low down” now? Yer man Franc.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is that the wedding guy from RTÉ giving us the Covid “low down” now? Yer man Franc.

Jesus. I think on purpose they have given us a Hybrid Cork / Tipperary accent for these ad's....to identify with the common Irish countryman.

By the way, has anyone ever heard Kieran Dineen on RTE Prime Time ?
    Not sure why this guy got the job, it certainly was not because of his accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Tesco have made the shitlist thanks to their foray into back-to-school ads featuring a manic mum. The worst part is that I heard it while listening to a podcast through Spotify. FFS, what's wrong with advertising below-the-belt shaving gear like every other podcast?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

An Post Insurance: another Cork / Tipperary Hybrid voice!

Is this a trend now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tesco have made the shitlist thanks to their foray into back-to-school ads featuring a manic mum. The worst part is that I heard it while listening to a podcast through Spotify. FFS, what's wrong with advertising below-the-belt shaving gear like every other podcast?!
    What sort of podcasts do you listen to that advertises pubic shaving material?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

flazio wrote: »
    What sort of podcasts do you listen to that advertises pubic shaving material?

I was listening to something lately and this ad came on, surprised at the openness of it. No harm I suppose!

• Advertisement

Jesus. I think on purpose they have given us a Hybrid Cork / Tipperary accent for these ad's....to identify with the common Irish countryman.

By the way, has anyone ever heard Kieran Dineen on RTE Prime Time ?
    Not sure why this guy got the job, it certainly was not because of his accent.

Is that the "keep washin' dose hands" one?

Thought he was the guy that did Bull Island.

Advertisement