Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pylontech batteries - user experience?

• 21-07-2020 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Good morning

I am just finalising a quote and order. I have the option of 1 or 2 Pylontech 2.4kw batteries. The 2nd battery adds 700 to the quote so I was wondering if any users with both installed could give me a steer on usability and experience to help me decide which option to go for.

There seems to be mixed views around on the efficiency, lifespan and practicality of these batteries.

Any and all views welcome.

System would be approx 4.9 kw and no electric car yet but water diverter.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

E30M3 wrote: »
    Good morning

I am just finalising a quote and order. I have the option of 1 or 2 Pylontech 2.4kw batteries. The 2nd battery adds 700 to the quote so I was wondering if any users with both installed could give me a steer on usability and experience to help me decide which option to go for.

There seems to be mixed views around on the efficiency, lifespan and practicality of these batteries.

Any and all views welcome.

System would be approx 4.9 kw and no electric car yet but water diverter.

Thank you

My 4.2kwp system has 1 pylontech battery. On a sunny day it's fully charged by about 10am and if it's dull it could take until lunchtime. I would think that if you had 2 it would be evening time again both are fully charged, so your panels would be supplying them practically all day. Only then would you have spare capacity, assuming it's still sunny, to divert to your hot water. I would think that you will have more available power for your hot water and appliances etc with only the 1 battery . There would be a long pay-back on the second one if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

€700 incl VAT is a very good price for one to buy, never mind including all the install costs. These retail at €950 + 23% VAT (€1170) seeing as you don't get any extra subsidy for a second battery

I would be tempted to go for it, the battery will have significant second hand value. Should you take it out in a years time, you should be able to easily get €500-€600 for it second hand. That said, your pay back period on it even at this very good price will probably be as long or longer than the rest of your system

One benefit of having two of them, that a lot of people don't seem to talk about much is that the charge / discharge is 50A instead of the 25A if you only have one. Which means that with one, it can only charge up at 1.3kW, so if your solar provides a lot more, which it will in bright sunlight, most of the production will be lost. Or another example, even if your battery is full, when someone puts the kettle on, more than half of the electricity for that will have to be bought from the grid, whereas two batteries can almost fully power a kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I have two (2.4kw * 2) Pylontech batteries for almost two years now.
    They work away without issue so can't really fault them.

Without some sort of adequate storage you will be donating a lot of your production to the grid even with a water diverter on a 4.9kw system.

I was going to go with one battery at the time but glad I went for two. I have a 4.2kw system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

yes agree with Niallers and unkel. €700 is a very good price. Get the second one. With a single battery the max discharge is 1250W which does not cover a washer or dryer or kettle. Most big appliances are rated 2000-2500W.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Hi all

Took this advice and install being done as I type. Tks to all for your views. I didn't want to derail the quotes thread with this query.

I'll update the quotes thread to finalise what I installed.

Tks for helping me confirm the way I was thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

Hi, who is providing the battery at that price? I would be interested in buying.
    Pm me if you like.

I would appreciate a PM too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Me too

Hi

System installed this week with two batteries.

Glad I went with the two for usability but having some initial issues with configuration or battery setup.

The above wasn't a stand alone price but part of the installation and I got a quote with One or two batteries and the figure quoted was the difference between the two quotes.

Currently when the batteries reach maximum charge the inverter (Solis 5kw) displays an error message. HighVolt BMS and the batteries appear to go offline.

I'll update when resolved. Currently talking to the installer and Solis.

Maybe we could get a quote for 3 batteries lads? Might get a good deal

• Advertisement

Important not to go overboard with batteries folks. A second battery would come in handy about 8 months of the year and you would not be using up its full charge using daytime electricity for 3 or so of those months. So realistically you won't save more than 50-80 a year from it. The returns from a third battery are even lower.

Hi

System installed this week with two batteries.

Glad I went with the two for usability but having some initial issues with configuration or battery setup.

The above wasn't a stand alone price but part of the installation and I got a quote with One or two batteries and the figure quoted was the difference between the two quotes.

Currently when the batteries reach maximum charge the inverter (Solis 5kw) displays an error message. HighVolt BMS and the batteries appear to go offline.

I'll update when resolved. Currently talking to the installer and Solis.

My issue appears resolved. 1 battery was swapped out and system now appears to be behaving as expected.

Installed this week

16 350w LONGI panels, four west facing and 12 East facing (Solar Thermal on south facing already for the last 14 years).

5KW Solis Hybrid Inverter

2 2.4 KWH Pylontech batteries

Solic 200 Water Diverter

Above on a natural Slate 2 storey roof. Install took 2 full days with 3 men.

South East Area

Additional 5 year warranty on Diverter.

7,300 after grant.

6,600 was the price quoted with a 2.4 Kwh battery, hence my original query but I think the installer quoted me so competitively to get me over the line.

PM's now being sent but as I say I didn't buy a battery stand alone for 700.

garo wrote: »
    Important not to go overboard with batteries folks. A second battery would come in handy about 8 months of the year and you would not be using up its full charge using daytime electricity for 3 or so of those months. So realistically you won't save more than 50-80 a year from it. The returns from a third battery are even lower.

I only have 1 so second is what im after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

My issue appears resolved. 1 battery was swapped out and system now appears to be behaving as expected.

Installed this week

16 350w LONGI panels, four west facing and 12 East facing (Solar Thermal on south facing already for the last 14 years).

5KW Solis Hybrid Inverter

2 2.4 KWH Pylontech batteries

Solic 200 Water Diverter

Above on a natural Slate 2 storey roof. Install took 2 full days with 3 men.

South East Area

Additional 5 year warranty on Diverter.

7,300 after grant.

6,600 was the price quoted with a 2.4 Kwh battery, hence my original query but I think the installer quoted me so competitively to get me over the line.

PM's now being sent but as I say I didn't buy a battery stand alone for 700.

That's a pretty decent price, well done and well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    I only have 1 so second is what im after.
    I too am looking for a second battery for my system. Wonder if we could do a group buy or something, might get a discount.

Best price i've found so far is here: €850 VAT included. Although it doesn;t specify if connecting cables are included.
    https://www.puntoenergiashop.it/gb/pylontech/5208-lithium-battery-2-4kwh-48v-pylontech-us2000-photovoltaic-accumulation-storage-8380000027385.html

I got soare cables with my first one. Maybe your installer might have them? Worth a call.
    Is that an irish company?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I too am looking for a second battery for my system. Wonder if we could do a group buy or something, might get a discount.

Best price i've found so far is here: €850 VAT included. Although it doesn;t specify if connecting cables are included.
    https://www.puntoenergiashop.it/gb/pylontech/5208-lithium-battery-2-4kwh-48v-pylontech-us2000-photovoltaic-accumulation-storage-8380000027385.html

That's from Italy :p

Do you realise they are closed until the end of the month and who knows how much they will charge for shipping?

got quoted €54 by courier from Italy for one.

I ship stuff from Italy all the time, its not expensive.

So 900 all in, cheap.
    Ide probably pay a small bit more and collect it here.
    Lots can go wrong with shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've seen them for just under £780 sterling. Delivery wouldn't be that high from the UK.

• Advertisement

can you link or pm me details please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rmc_2000

Could you you PM me also, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I am interested also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

I am interested as well.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭hick

Hi all, apols for resurrecting thread but great to see this. I’ve several quotes now, 2 are GivEnergy which I know are popular. I’d much prefer to go Pylontech.

Would someone mind DMing an installer name that provides/installs Pylontech

based on what’s currently happening rhe batteries ROI is much better than solar now

thanks in advance

Holy moly, the price of Pylontech batteries is going up a lot. Current price for a 2.4 kWh is €1,188 plus shipping from the Italian site above.

Solartricity have them for 1,064 in Dublin. VAT inclusive.

veep energy have them for €1,037.61, VAT inclusive.

I would have thought most installers would install pylontech, if you specify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

Quick question about 2 Pylontec us3000c batteries connected to a 6kw Solis inverter

The batteries discharge normally down to 20% and then gives only 140w after that.

It's always done this but I'm just wondering is it normal behavior? 20% as the start of limp-mode seems high to me, has anyone else a similar experience with them?

I'm wondering is there perhaps a setting I need to change?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

Discharge level might be set to 20% on the inverter. I'm not sure what the discharge level is on Pylontech but on my Puredrive's I can go as low as 10% without affecting warranty.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

You can go as long as 95% discharge but I wouldn't. Keep them as they are at 80%. It is in your best interest to give them a better life so they last longer.

Advertisement