Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car club membership

Options
  • 15-06-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi recently taken out 1st time classic car insurance with first ireland. They are looking for club membership would anyone have any recommendations, i want to keep it as cheap as possible. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Normally theres a club for your specific car brand. What car do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 coisnacriann

BMW Z3

BMW Z3

Welcome! I've a Z3 aswell. What did you get? 99 2 litre?

I'm a member of a different club for the other cars so wasn't required for the Z. Im sure one of the BMW forums has a paid membership. I think there's one called the IVVCC. Think it's on the pricey side though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I've never been asked for it by carol nash

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I've never been asked for it by carol nash

First Ireland asked for it from me when I took my policy out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

First Ireland always wants proof of membership of a classic car club when you take out the policy first. They'll never ask for it again. If you only want to comply for the least cost possible, find a vague classic club somewhere that's cheap. That's what I did the second time I started a new policy with them (the first time I had joined an expensive club for the make of car that I had back then)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

My club (which I won't mention) isn't very tech savvy. I printed my own membership letter and sent it to First Ireland. No questions asked 4 years ago. They never asked a membership renewal evidence since.

I am actually member of the club but the scrutiny at the insurers isn't very rigourous.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 coisnacriann

I joined bmw-driver.net which was free and they seemed happy with that. Its a uk reg car which i managed to book online for vrt today. Have no idea of vrt due as z3 is not an option on vrt calculator. I know its classed as e36 but no convertible option on the vrt calculator under e36. Anyone have experience on clearing a Z3?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 parkman6551

Hi, I know that this post isn't directly involved with insurance companies so I aopolgise in advance.

I am looking for a good classic car restoration garage, preferably in north county Dublin. Unfortunately, any threads on Boards are very old, and mostly outside Dublin, so I have discounted them.

If it helps the original poster [OP] I have a 1983 Mercedes insured with AXA for the last few years and they don't look for club membership, although I told them, truthfully, that I am a member of the MB Owners Club.

I asked First Ireland for a quote for this year [in June] but they were almost €100 more than AXA, who charged me €285 for the year. Last year was €265. First Ireland quoted €385 and wouldn't "discuss" the price at all. They are a broker, by the way, as opposed to AXA who are an insurance company.

Parkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi from a fellow member :)

Did you try FBD? I got my '83 280CE insured for E200 back in Jan. They, unlike most, did not mind that I didn't have a garage, And were OK with the odd drive into work, and am allowed 10,000 miles per annum. They took my club number, but you're OK on that front.

What have you got?

SORRY just reread your post. I thought you were looking for insurance! I'll leave my post there anyway in case it helps someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

I have a BMW Z3 (Year 1998) and am looking for 1st time classic insurance. Can I ask what company / broker the original poster obtained insurance from?

Advertisement