Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mackerel

Options
  • 05-08-2020 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭

A friend driving from Mayo for a visit and the two boys want to go fishing.
    Mackeral I assume. What's a good spot - Salthill? Claddagh? I am a bit clueless and he's not much better! LOL! Any tips for local adventures?
    Duffy's is closed too, anywhere else to buy bits and pieces to fish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

inisboffin wrote: »
    A friend driving from Mayo for a visit and the two boys want to go fishing.
    Mackeral I assume. What's a good spot - Salthill? Claddagh? I am a bit clueless and he's not much better! LOL! Any tips for local adventures?
    Duffy's is closed too, anywhere else to buy bits and pieces to fish?

corrib tackle and there seems to be a new place in the old sex shop in liosban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks
    Nowhere in town then for bits and pieces (city centre). Would Dealz have lures etc or rods if they need spares?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I love the smell of fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Off the end of Nimmo's pier is a good spot. Especially for early or afternoon high tides, can get busy for evening tides.

I love the smell of fish

That's nice :P

Where's the best spot for casting? Docks? I see some up up by the Swamp sometimes. Tips appreciated.

• Advertisement

Off the end of Nimmo's pier is a good spot. Especially for early or afternoon high tides, can get busy for evening tides.

Great stuff. Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

That's nice :P

Where's the best spot for casting? Docks? I see some up up by the Swamp sometimes. Tips appreciated.

Ye should rent a wee boat and head out to sea

Ye should rent a wee boat and head out to sea

Worth contacting Galway Bay Boat Tours. They've been very active recently and posted some photos of mackerel fishing yesterday, assume they'd have the kit too.

https://m.facebook.com/GalwayBayBoatTours/photos/a.260818500771545/1442636979256352/?type=3

Worth contacting Galway Bay Boat Tours. They've been very active recently and posted some photos of mackerel fishing yesterday, assume they'd have the kit too.

https://m.facebook.com/GalwayBayBoatTours/photos/a.260818500771545/1442636979256352/?type=3

I think it will be more of a novelty with the lads, so may not last long, but looks great!

Those tours aren't fishing trips, just a spin out on the bay and a look at some Galway Hookers in action if they're on the water. I'm sure they're just dropping a line in while it's mackerel season. Should be a great experience on a day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Thanks
    Nowhere in town then for bits and pieces (city centre). Would Dealz have lures etc or rods if they need spares?

Freeneys on High Street do fishing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Where is the shop, i want to buy a few flying condoms...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

Is there any been caught yet? Seems a little early in the season?

degzs wrote: »
    Is there any been caught yet? Seems a little early in the season?

When is best time? i only ever sea-fished from boat.
    Because i not doing this year i will shore fish.
    Hopefully this thread will run and i get updates here.
    It be nice way to monitor...

This is a great day out as i have being doing for years.
    However its a lads thing as hire of boat for family too expensive.
    €300/400 day for boat hire gear included...

Freeneys on High Street do fishing gear.

I was thinking they wouldn’t be open as they’re mainly a pub? But maybe they are.

This is a great day out as i have being doing for years.
    However its a lads thing as hire of boat for family too expensive.
    €300/400 day for boat hire gear included...

You're talking about chartering a fishing boat. The Galway Bay Boat Tours is a tourist boat, tickets are €20/person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I was thinking they wouldn’t be open as they’re mainly a pub? But maybe they are.

The fishing shop part is open, my partner was there last week.

You're talking about chartering a fishing boat. The Galway Bay Boat Tours is a tourist boat, tickets are €20/person.

I know what i am talking about, the OP was about fishing and i was pointing out that boat fishing hired boat not for families.
    I am not familiar with the boat another poster was thinking of when suggested going on boat.
    It is likely they will advise...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I love the smell of fish

Cant think of anything worse, absolutely horrendous.

• Advertisement

Fresh fish doesn't really smell. ;)

I love the smell of fish

What is your prefered species?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Looks like the mackerel have arrived in Salthill. Lots of fisher-people and diving sea birds.

Advertisement