Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best films on cults?

Options
  • 22-07-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) deals great with the psychology of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Powers Boothe won an Emmy for playing Jim Jones in Guyana Tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The Master

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I really enjoyed Wild Wild Country on Netflix. It's a documentary series about the Rajneesh Movement in Oregon. Bought a ranch there in the 80's to build a utopia. Built their own airport and everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the wicker man (old version)
    midsommar
    apostle (decent, not as good as the above two though)
    the invitation (excellent hidden little gem on netflix)
    faults (sublime, just sublime)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The Wicker Man (original)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Holy hell dont know if its still on netflix but It's crazy stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The Manson Family by Jim Van Bebber.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In the Line of Duty: Ambush at Waco

James Earl Jones knew how to run a cult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

The Magdalene Sisters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Does Battlefield Earth count?

Ok, I'll get my coat....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you want an absolutely amazing insight into the real world of growing up as a Jehovah's Witness, check out Apostasy.

Some of it might seem a bit hard to believe but it is most definitely highly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

The Sacrament by Ti West.

Journalist for Vice visits a cult in South America that his sister is part of for an article. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Not a movie but Waco is very good mini series at only 6 episodes and stars Michael Shannon who is always amazing
    It's based on David Koresh's cult and the siege that happened in 1993 if you remember the famous tv clips of the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Split Image (1982) The cult leader in it seemed to be loosely inspired by that Osho Rjaneesh guy though it was made before the cult became known to the wider public

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is an old one on Jim Jones , cant remember if its a TV movie or mini series

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    there is an old one on Jim Jones , cant remember if its a TV movie or mini series

There was a kind of schlocky exploitation movie called Guyana, Crime Of The Century. There's also a made for TV movie which is more factally based. Both came out fairly soon after the mass suicides.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tempted to say Life of Brian :)

Unorthodox on Netflix was an interesting one about trying to get out of one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

One upon a time in Hollywood. Rosemary’s Baby too.

For a real series then Wild, Wild Country as someone earlier suggested. Very entertaining and shows that the US is a very weird huge place, full of very strange people. That woman Sheela is some piece of work. Tough titties.....

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hot Fuzz :pac:

Hideous Kinky, a good one if op is looking for realistic depiction of cults and how people get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

KilOit wrote: »
    Not a movie but Waco is very good mini series at only 6 episodes and stars Michael Shannon who is always amazing
    It's based on David Koresh's cult and the siege that happened in 1993 if you remember the famous tv clips of the fire

Watching this now. Very good so far. Thanks for recommending.

Midsommar was really good I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it hasn't been mentioned before, 'Faults' is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Satanic Rites of Dracula

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Iron Lady

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Apocalypse Now

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

It's been years since I've seen it but I remember liking "Red State" by Kevin Smith. Not your typical Smith film. Michael Parks is fantastic as a Fred Phelps type character. All fire and brimstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

'White poles, black holes'

- oh I see you've written cults with an 'L' - apologies; the ones that Louis Theroux did on the Westboro baptist church were quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Advertisement