Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shotgun stock question

Options
  • 03-08-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭

hi everyone, quick one can we change shotgun stock by our law regulations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Quick answer...Depends...If you are looking at a pump or semi on an unrestricted license and putting a folder, telescoping, or quick demountable,or one with a "prominent pistol grip"[open to interpretation what such is...] Then yes .

If it a plain old SXS or O/U or single shot and you are changing the stock from wood to wood..Go right ahead.
    Dunno if it is specific to just semis and pumps or all shotguns ,so for some reason you are going putting a folding,telescoping,prominent pistol grip,or quick demountable on a SXS,O/U or single shot shotgun , have a care as it seems to be grey legislation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Quick answer...Depends...If you are looking at a pump or semi on an unrestricted license and putting a folder, telescoping, or quick demountable,or one with a "prominent pistol grip"[open to interpretation what such is...] Then yes .

If it a plain old SXS or O/U or single shot and you are changing the stock from wood to wood..Go right ahead.
    Dunno if it is specific to just semis and pumps or all shotguns ,so for some reason you are going putting a folding,telescoping,prominent pistol grip,or quick demountable on a SXS,O/U or single shot shotgun , have a care as it seems to be grey legislation.

Hmmmmm, what about something like this ? Things get blurry.

TSK-lato-DX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭renas

tudderone wrote: »

TSK-lato-DX.jpg

was wondering on that one to, gun is semi and yes more or less was wondering can i add grip and more adjustable stock to suit my needs, but the one we see here also has no grip which i assume it would be just fine and its plenty space to adjust also, only down side those cost 4 times i paid for a gun it self

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

tudderone wrote: »

TSK-lato-DX.jpg

Hmm. It's a telescopic stock so in my opinion that makes it a restricted firearm. You'd need to get a restricted license and supply a good and sufficient reason as to why that is required over an unrestricted firearm. Which shouldn't be difficult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And there are some DTL and Oly trap O/U guns with even more "prominent pistol grips" than that. Again vague grey definitions making life difficult Somehow those kinds of stocks make all shotguns a lot more deadly to thoe PTB.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 GodsHelix

renas wrote: »
    hi everyone, quick one can we change shotgun stock by our law regulations ?
    I know this is quite a late reply, but I own both a Remington 700 and 870, and I purchased Magpul stocks for both of those guns. I contacted the Gardai and asked them about the legality and they said as long as they aren't folding or collapsable then they are perfectly fine. The stocks I have also have a fairly obvious pistol grip, but not so exaggerated like an AR-15 or such, so I'd say unless it's a proper pistol grip that you'd find on an assault rifle then you should be fine. If, per chance, it does happen to be the Magpul stock you're thinking of buying then I can safely say they are legal and can be imported with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

Hmm. It's a telescopic stock so in my opinion that makes it a restricted firearm. You'd need to get a restricted license and supply a good and sufficient reason as to why that is required over an unrestricted firearm. Which shouldn't be difficult to do.
    thats not a telescopic stock,it’s an absorbing system for recoil,and and a “glove grip”,very little change out of €1.5k for it

GodsHelix wrote: »
    I know this is quite a late reply, but I own both a Remington 700 and 870, and I purchased Magpul stocks for both of those guns. I contacted the Guardai and asked them about the legality and they said as long as they aren't folding or collapsable then they are perfectly fine. The stocks I have also have a fairly obvious pistol grip, but not so exaggerated like an AR-15 or such, so I'd say unless it's a proper pistol grip that you'd find on an assault rifle then you should be fine. If, per chance, it does happen to be the Magpul stock you're thinking of buying then I can safely say they are legal and can be imported with no issues.

would you drop some pictures of your stocks ? cheers

would you drop some pictures of your stocks ? cheers
    Sure thing. I can't acces them right now, but I'll take a picture by this evening.

Sure thing. I can't acces them right now, but I'll take a picture by this evening.

appreciate mate

• Advertisement

appreciate mate
    Very sorry that I didn't get to upload the image yesterday. I completely forgot about it. Here are both the guns with the stocks. As you can see, the grip is a weird, yet comfortable compromise between a pistol grip and a typical rifle / shotgun stock.

Very sorry that I didn't get to upload the image yesterday. I completely forgot about it. Here are both the guns with the stocks. As you can see, the grip is a weird, yet comfortable compromise between a pistol grip and a typical rifle / shotgun stock.

dang looks beutiful for sure, and i seen you can adjust cheek hight with these also same as their length which is why i probably get one of these but before i need to look if i can make it work on baikal 153, since they dont have specific straight fit for this gun, but some of the parts can be interchangable with remingtons just i need to figure out which ones

dang looks beutiful for sure, and i seen you can adjust cheek hight with these also same as their length which is why i probably get one of these but before i need to look if i can make it work on baikal 153, since they dont have specific straight fit for this gun, but some of the parts can be interchangable with remingtons just i need to figure out which ones

Best of luck to you! I actually love the stocks as they do generally have quite a short length of pull which makes holding them really comfortable. The rubber on the butt stock is really soft and grippy, and is very comfortable on its own. I hope you can get some way to get these on your rifle as they are definitely worth the money. I plan to get a Ruger 10/22 sometime in the future, and when I do the first thing I'm getting a Magpul stock for it, too, haha.

guys i have one more question regardless the places you can go out and freely shoot shotgun, we leave common sence behind as its rocking skies... just im wondering on legal side of it ,lets say i need to do few shots to inspect gun etc but gun club is hour away can i just go to local bog land and do so ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you have permission to be on the land and shoot on it, its within the 5km from home rule and you don't engage in game hunting then i'd imagine so, yes.

However as you said common sense must prevail and do not go out simple because "Cass on Boards said i could". Its not legal advice, its only a best guess scenario based on the current travel and shooting restrictions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    If you have permission to be on the land and shoot on it, its within the 5km from home rule and you don't engage in game hunting then i'd imagine so, yes.

However as you said common sense must prevail and do not go out simple because "Cass on Boards said i could". Its not legal advice, its only a best guess scenario based on the current travel and shooting restrictions.[/QUOTE

I assume if land belongs to government it would be considered public or im wrong ? btw i made a screenshot to prove what you said lol , just messing but must admit you got me a good morning lough

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

You must have permission to shoot on any land in Ireland. Whether it be public or privately owned.

Advertisement