Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Suspension Rules

• 28-07-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering can anyone advise me of the following (mods feel free to delete if inappropiate)

Last weekend I was sent off (wrongly) in a club championship game. I have footage to clear my name, but its not the best quality.

Am I fighting a lost cause using this footage, or what is my next move?

They also put down the wrong first name. Does this help in anyway?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering can anyone advise me of the following (mods feel free to delete if inappropiate)

Last weekend I was sent off (wrongly) in a club championship game. I have footage to clear my name, but its not the best quality.

Am I fighting a lost cause using this footage, or what is my next move?

They also put down the wrong first name. Does this help in anyway?

Thanks

Footage may clear you, But you will obviously need the backing of your club to bring an appeal on your behalf. I know a fella who got off a ban after the video recording his club took of a game cleared him of any wrong doing last year.
    Cant say on what impact the ref writing down the wrong name will have.
    Best of luck getting off

Just to add to this a player from my county got sent off last year, Clear video evidence he done nothing wrong but his appeal failed. Mostly the guys on these CCCC panels are Wan**ers so depends who you are up before tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Yeah, club can lodge an appeal on your behalf. So far as I know, you can't personally bring an appeal. Speak to your chairman/secretary/team management if you haven't done so already.

Footage can help all right. Last year, my club had a case of a player being wrongly sent off for what the referee marked down as "contributing to a melee". Video clearly showed that he hadn't thrown any swipes or done any pushing or shoving himself, and instead had just been pushed to the ground by one of the opposing players. His appeal was successful.

Wouldn't go so far as to say that "mostly these guys on CCCC panels are ******ers" but it can be the case that some of them come from a viewpoint that you need very strong evidence to overturn any referee's decision, so depending on who considers the appeal, the quality of footage might be an issue.

You'd probably have strong grounds for a technical objection if the wrong name is used in the referee's report, but the right name was given to him. But you'd probably have to push that at a higher level if the initial appeal was unsuccessful. Local CCCC or appeals committee are likely to take the view that it's obvious it's you that it's referring to, and disregard the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Thanks for the reply lads. I think the club are hesitant about appealing the decision as they are afraid of the county board.

Am I able to appeal this myself or does it needs the clubs permission?

As regards the name, my name is Derek but the county board have proposed a ban for "Darragh". Is this any grounds for a technicality?

Thanks

Hi again,

Seems an individual can bring an appeal all right, so it doesn't have to be by the club. It's all set out in Rule 7.11 (starts on page 153 here - https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/xlasjshmfdcmfrynmvhz.pdf)

You have to be very precise to do it properly though, and so it's normally done by the club secretary. I speak as a former club secretary myself.

It's odd that your club might not appeal on your behalf, if things are as clearcut as you say. "Afraid" of the County Board doesn't make sense. We all have a certain view of our County Boards and the decisions they might make sometimes, but we have to deal with them all the same.

As regards the name thing, have already given you some thoughts, but I haven't actually seen it happen before. It does occur to me that if they issue a suspension for Darragh Murphy, for example, then technically Derek Murphy is still free to play, and has nothing to actually appeal against. But doing that could open up a whole other can of worms.

My advice to you is to encourage the club to act. Too many pitfalls in trying to do it yourself.

Hi again,

Seems an individual can bring an appeal all right, so it doesn't have to be by the club. It's all set out in Rule 7.11 (starts on page 153 here - https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/xlasjshmfdcmfrynmvhz.pdf)

You have to be very precise to do it properly though, and so it's normally done by the club secretary. I speak as a former club secretary myself.

It's odd that your club might not appeal on your behalf, if things are as clearcut as you say. "Afraid" of the County Board doesn't make sense. We all have a certain view of our County Boards and the decisions they might make sometimes, but we have to deal with them all the same.

As regards the name thing, have already given you some thoughts, but I haven't actually seen it happen before. It does occur to me that if they issue a suspension for Darragh Murphy, for example, then technically Derek Murphy is still free to play, and has nothing to actually appeal against. But doing that could open up a whole other can of worms.

My advice to you is to encourage the club to act. Too many pitfalls in trying to do it yourself.

Thanks for the advice Uncle Pierre.

Our club would have had a checkered past in the county so they don't want to be going against them again is what I can gather. The suspension effectively rules me out for the rest of the championship (unless we get to the final) unfortunately.

I have until tomorrow evening to lodge an appeal so hopefully they change their minds.

I have thought about the dilemma of Derek Murphy is free to play on a technicality, but like you said that will probably do me more harm than good.

I am an honest player and I can stand when someone else is wrongly accused of something, never mind myself. I think I will explore the option of appealing it myself.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If never heard of a mistaken name getting anyone out of trouble. You'd imagine it'd be a very easy getout clause otherwise. I've often seen "Damo" or "PJ" down on teamsheets handed to the ref; if they got sent off what's to stop clubs claiming that because the suspension wasn't given specifically to Damien or Patrick Joseph it's invalid? I'm sure there's many Neils and Nialls or Shanes and Seans who've been misheard by refs over the years, but I've personally never known of a suspension being overturned as a result.

The video on the other hand could be a way out of it, though it depends entirely on the offence and the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

How did it go?

Have been wondering myself too. What happened in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Username suggests he is currently facing mandatory 2 week suspension regardless of any appeal

• Advertisement

Didn't go the way I wanted, so will prob appeal further up the line.

As cunavalos said, I'm currently on a 2 week ban anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

The implication of accepting the ban is that if you were sent off again, the penaly increases.. I'd say go after it if you have evidence. Don't give the club the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

I though it was changed to game bans and not weeks?

Just to update this read,

I had to serve the game ban in the end.

You actually couldn't make up what went on in these meetings.

Clear video evidence and members of appeals, in both county and province, more or less saying I was innocent - it was still voted against.

One of those dilemma's where you just have to bite your tongue and accept the backward ways on the GAA.

Also a little plot twist came from it. The player I was supposed to have struck has a checkered history. A now retired referee told me that he was well known to ref's for either getting sent off, or getting opposition players sent off.

Thanks for all advice at the time.

Live and Learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clear video evidence and members of appeals, in both county and province, more or less saying I was innocent - it was still voted against.

One of those dilemma's where you just have to bite your tongue and accept the backward ways on the GAA.

Also a little plot twist came from it. The player I was supposed to have struck has a checkered history. A now retired referee told me that he was well known to ref's for either getting sent off, or getting opposition players sent off.

Live and Learn.

You could probably appeal further if you feel that agrieved but lesson learned. I'm sure ye will deal with that player the next time in a different way.
    I recall one match where a fella that should have known better lashed a young lad off the ball. Anytime the ball dropped he got a lash back from a different player. Eventyually after 4 different belts he said 'I get it lads, won't happen again'. Ref said enough also, he knew something had happened.

Figerty wrote: »
    You could probably appeal further if you feel that agrieved but lesson learned. I'm sure ye will deal with that player the next time in a different way.
    I recall one match where a fella that should have known better lashed a young lad off the ball. Anytime the ball dropped he got a lash back from a different player. Eventyually after 4 different belts he said 'I get it lads, won't happen again'. Ref said enough also, he knew something had happened.

I was actually thinking about this a while back. I think the best way to deal with someone like that is to:

Just say nothing. Shake hands with him at the start of a game, do your talking on the scoreboard. Its the best place to hurt someone. Shake hands with him after the match, but this time with a smile. That little smirk (especially after a win) is a killer.

But on your point about young lads getting belts. I do believe senior players should stand up for them to an extent, but at the same time, they need to learn to paddle their own canoe.

If a young player is on a tough physical player, I will have a word with him and encourage him to keep going. He needs to get to grips with adult football and know that nothing will come easy.

If he is on a dirty player, and that player pulls a dirty stroke? Then myself, or another senior player, have to get involved and let that player know, that if he wants to be dirty he can come and be dirty with people his own age/size.

Still, for all its flaws, the GAA is still one of the best sports to play or be involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Live and Learn.

"Just to add to this a player from my county got sent off last year, Clear video evidence he done nothing wrong but his appeal failed. Mostly the guys on these CCCC panels are Wan**ers so depends who you are up before tbh"

This is what i said to you in the first reply in this thread. I knew you hadn't a hope in hell the Pri**s on these committees haven't a clue and are more often than not corrupt as fuc*

Advertisement