Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When to buy new Irons

• 04-08-2020 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Got fitted a few weeks ago solely, to understand my swing speed etc – more “just to see” – no real intention to go buy different clubs. Have been playing with regular shafts but transpires stiff would suit better (distance control) – now that I was on the track man and could see the difference these would make, I’m itching to change. Have been looking at DD and adverts but not much showing up – so am wondering when is the best time to buy. Am considering buying new as I would get exactly what I need (length, lie etc) but would I save a lot if I waited a few months and hope something comes up in the second hand market?

Would be looking at T200 - AMT tour white S300 true temper - 3.5 flat - standard length.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Got fitted a few weeks ago solely, to understand my swing speed etc – more “just to see” – no real intention to go buy different clubs. Have been playing with regular shafts but transpires stiff would suit better (distance control) – now that I was on the track man and could see the difference these would make, I’m itching to change. Have been looking at DD and adverts but not much showing up – so am wondering when is the best time to buy. Am considering buying new as I would get exactly what I need (length, lie etc) but would I save a lot if I waited a few months and hope something comes up in the second hand market?

Would be looking at T200 - AMT tour white S300 true temper - 3.5 flat - standard length.

As a long time lurker of donedeal and adverts, i'd be very surprised if you got what you were looking for anytime soon if ever.....rare enough to get a very recent set of irons but you can get lucky....i assume 3.5 flat would be a custom spec for those? You could try the likes of golfbidder.co.uk...they might have them but maybe not in the lie angle......i wonder can you get the lie changed/bent by a qualified pro if you picked up the stock set?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Was using a set of Wilson game improvement irons. They went a mile but were impossible to control. Very chunky with loads of offset and big cavity at back with speed slots. The speed slots came flying out of a couple of them. Sent them back to Wilson as they were under warranty only for the problem to occur again. I feel a bit hard done by given that I didn't have them that long and spent a substantial amount of money. In any case they were never the club for me.

Have now a set of Taylormade P790s which I got fitted for a few weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to use them properly yet and still in plastic but hoping that they bring back a bit of enjoyment into my game and a lot less lost golf balls. If anyone has a set of these or who's game improved after buying a new set of irons I'd be interested in knowing what changed. The final straw for me was missing all the greens on the 4 par 3's in my local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

I went and got fitted for a new Driver and Irons a couple of weeks ago. They are due to arrive this week I think. I play off a low handicap and had never been fitted before and had this in mind for a long time. Felt I had lost distance with my irons which were 12 years old. Apparently as the groves wear on the irons the Spin rate increases. From the trackman info my 7i had the same expected spin rate of a PW. When trying out different irons with correct shaft and length for me I was going from 155 carry to 175 Carry with 7i. Driver was going from 230 carry to 270 carry. High Spin rate was a huge issue for me and struggled on windy days. Looking forward to getting the new clubs in the bag and hopefully my distance dispersion will be more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

3.5 flat is fairly extreme. I would get a second opinion on that before I pulled the trigger.
    Are your current clubs flat.
    Bending lie angles effectively changes where the face is aiming.
    TXG golf on YouTube are super for explaining lie angles and using the hit board isn't the best way to fit lie angle.
    If you were looking for Pings their dot system would mean you might be able to find what u want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Neewollah wrote: »
    I went and got fitted for a new Driver and Irons a couple of weeks ago. They are due to arrive this week I think. I play off a low handicap and had never been fitted before and had this in mind for a long time. Felt I had lost distance with my irons which were 12 years old. Apparently as the groves wear on the irons the Spin rate increases. From the trackman info my 7i had the same expected spin rate of a PW. When trying out different irons with correct shaft and length for me I was going from 155 carry to 175 Carry with 7i. Driver was going from 230 carry to 270 carry. High Spin rate was a huge issue for me and struggled on windy days. Looking forward to getting the new clubs in the bag and hopefully my distance dispersion will be more consistent.

They're massive differences in distance! Whatever about the 7i, that could largely be explained through differences in loft on the 7i. But an extra 40 yards on the driver sounds crazy. From looking at a golf videos on youtube, that's probably the difference I'd expect to see from someone going from a wodden headed driver or first edition metal headed one to a recent high end one.

And I'm also shocked that spin increases as groves wear. Just thinking of the wedges - the opposite is the case with these I believe. I'd have expected a 7i to follow suit. Why would that not be the case? Maybe the newer irons are designed to spin less on the longer ones so that they fly straighter?

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    They're massive differences in distance! Whatever about the 7i, that could largely be explained through differences in loft on the 7i. But an extra 40 yards on the driver sounds crazy. From looking at a golf videos on youtube, that's probably the difference I'd expect to see from someone going from a wodden headed driver or first edition metal headed one to a recent high end one.

And I'm also shocked that spin increases as groves wear. Just thinking of the wedges - the opposite is the case with these I believe. I'd have expected a 7i to follow suit. Why would that not be the case? Maybe the newer irons are designed to spin less on the longer ones so that they fly straighter?

You're right the 7i is 2 degrees stronger which is a factor as well as a more suitable shaft. The Driver I have I picked up 2nd hand a few years ago and even though I keep it in play there was no consistency in distances. My swing speed was coming in at around 112MPH which would be strong so with the a lower spinning head and correct shaft for my swing the distance improved significantly. The fitting was a really enjoyable day. Hopefully when they arrive they might help me get down under the 5 handicap mark.

Regarding the grooves, I was discussing the issues I had with the fitter. My ball flight was very high and no real penetration. My clubs are 12 years old and he said as the grooves wear the ball travels more up the face before it leaves the club creating more spin and lessens distance.

With wedges as they get older, because they have extra smaller grooves added for more spin, you'll notice the=at the real hard back spin lessens. With my wedges now they take 1 hop and stop. When they were new they would spin back constantly a constantly by 5 -10 feet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

You're right the 7i is 2 degrees stronger which is a factor as well as a more suitable shaft. The Driver I have I picked up 2nd hand a few years ago and even though I keep it in play there was no consistency in distances. My swing speed was coming in at around 112MPH which would be strong so with the a lower spinning head and correct shaft for my swing the distance improved significantly. The fitting was a really enjoyable day. Hopefully when they arrive they might help me get down under the 5 handicap mark.

Regarding the grooves, I was discussing the issues I had with the fitter. My ball flight was very high and no real penetration. My clubs are 12 years old and he said as the grooves wear the ball travels more up the face before it leaves the club creating more spin and lessens distance.

With wedges as they get older, because they have extra smaller grooves added for more spin, you'll notice the=at the real hard back spin lessens. With my wedges now they take 1 hop and stop. When they were new they would spin back constantly a constantly by 5 -10 feet

The numbers sound right for your swing speed.
    230 with 112MPH is a seriously poorly fitted club.
    I still play with loads of guys 200 yard or less drive with a poor flight followed by a 200 yard utility or 3 wood.
    It's just a case of not having the right club for the Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I think you'd be waiting a while for something to come up on Adverts or Done Deal.

Golfbidder (https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/) might be a better bet.....

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1040850/Titleist_T200.html

EDIT - apologies, just saw that @MarcusP12 got in first with the golfbidder recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Do mind me asking what driver you were fitted to? I have a thread at the moment where i'm asking opinions as to why i'm not getting more out of my driver despite thinking I've nailed it...my sense is i should be fit for my driver but i'm not sure how to go about that if i'm not in the market for a new driver....

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Do mind me asking what driver you were fitted to? I have a thread at the moment where i'm asking opinions as to why i'm not getting more out of my driver despite thinking I've nailed it...my sense is i should be fit for my driver but i'm not sure how to go about that if i'm not in the market for a new driver....

They fitted me for Taylormade SIM Driver with an Oban Devotion 5 Stiff shaft.

Its a low spinning driver head but the shaft was the real difference. Tried 5 or 6 different ones and it's amazing to see how each affects ball flight, spin rate and distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

If it is not a private question, what kind of money is a new set of high quality irons like that?
    Presume a good new driver is €4-500 now?
    Would €1200 be a ballpark to get a full set of irons and driver after being fitted? It's something i would love to do and am going to do some day, but not sure if that will be in next 2 or 10 years.

bamayang wrote: »
    If it is not a private question, what kind of money is a new set of high quality irons like that?
    Would €1200 be a ballpark to get a full set of irons and driver after being fitted? It's something i would love to do and am going to do some day, but not sure if that will be in next 2 or 10 years.

Current Taylormade Driver and irons fully fitted to my swing and needs came to approx 1650

I look at it as a ten year investment and play pretty regular so will get the use of it. Similar to you I was looking at doing this for a long time and finally took the plunge.

Definitely cheaper options out there as well that will work just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I got TM P790s fitted for 1200
    I didn't bother with a driver as it was 500 and no real difference to my current one

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

GreeBo wrote: »
    I got TM P790s fitted for 1200
    I didn't bother with a driver as it was 500 and no real difference to my current one

Were you happy with the change in clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Got fitted by a local pro myself recently for a new driver and 3 wood as a treat for finally getting down to single figures. It's a great experience. I have just over 100mph driver swing speed and my driver shaft was too flexible. Was spinning it at over 3000 rpm and only getting 225 yards carry with 15 yards roll. Now am the proud owner of a cobra SZ driver with a stiff 60g Project X Hzrdus Smoke black shaft. Gained 15 yards carry and 5 yards roll with that setup. Ball isn't ballooning and my dispersion is tighter. A matching 3 wood is on the way. Cost me €650 for both but well worth it, these are the only 2 clubs I hit from the tee. Savings for new irons come January!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭necstandards

I'd would recommend anyone thats keen on reducing their HC to get on a track man. I bought stock clubs 7 or 8 years ago at the beginning and struggling to get lower. Am hoping new clubs will help...
    Here are some snaps from the trackman report (its brilliant how you can compare data)
    My own 7i would go between 150 & 200 yards (spin rate thru the roof on the 150 shot @ 8155!!) My own 7i are the yellow dots, the custom club being orange..
    Am using JPX900 driver that is fairly well setup for me.. (posted my best drive on trackman - there were some terrible ones thou :D)
    I feel i've a pretty inconsistent swing so thats probably where i need most work, but hopefully new irons will get me closer to the flag.. maybe on the green even :D

Were you happy with the change in clubs?

Yep, gained 1-2 clubs in distance and lower dispersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yep, gained 1-2 clubs in distance and lower dispersion.

What was the difference in lofts compared to your old clubs?

I'm considering new irons, I'm up with one of my playing partners off the tee but when it comes to hitting an iron I'm one or 2 clubs behind them. and our clubs are similar lofts if not the same.

I have JPX 825 Pro, very tempted to get the 919 forged.

etxp wrote: »
    What was the difference in lofts compared to your old clubs?

I'm considering new irons, I'm up with one of my playing partners off the tee but when it comes to hitting an iron I'm one or 2 clubs behind them. and our clubs are similar lofts if not the same.

I have JPX 825 Pro, very tempted to get the 919 forged.

Lofts were the same actually (though was switching from regular graphite RAC OS to stiff P790s, so a considerable change)

Advertisement