Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

khalessi wrote: »
    Certainly does:pac::pac: but throws in flu and pneumonia instead, how anyone thinks it is ok is hilarious. The more I read the plan the more I would have loved to be a fly on the wall.

Diagrams yeah 80sq m classrrooms
    No ventilation give em tents.

How many shots do you think they had for that one:pac::pac:

Wear a coat

The parents wont be so determined to send the sick children

Oh we are removing the roof

That seems extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Wear a coat

The parents wont be so determined to send the sick children

A coat!! Awww you really care awwww!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

The healthy ones will be in the classrooms and the staff room, sports hall etc.

With all the ill ones, numbers should be low enough. What are you spending the money on, can we get a rough break down?

The short answer is I don't know what we are spending the money on.

Right after the guidelines came out I emailed my principal with all of my concerns. I pretty much copy and pasted them into another thread on boards. If anyone is that way inclined they can search my post history, you'll be looking for a post with the title "My observations on the roadmap"

My principal replied to my email, only to say that it was received, it will be read and, where appropriate, discussed at their principals meeting.

My principal then said that they hoped to be in touch with us sometime next week (which will now be this week) to "keep us in the loop" Principal, as of last week, didn't even know how much our school was getting, but he did say that they had placed an order for some material for making visors

I'm in an ETB school, so I'd imagine the ETB will want us to mostly work off a common enough policy, as outlined by them

If the money is allowed to be used to employ more than the 1.3 teachers we are getting with the extra 1,000 then I would imagine my school will try use it for this as we were a couple of teachers down even before Covid was on our radar

That seems extreme

Noooooo. Remove the roof, the children can build another floor using Lego. It is perfect stem and mental well being.

And now I can do it wearing the coat you gave me. Huggggs

• Advertisement

A coat!! Awww you really care awwww!!

How do you suggest we accommodate sick children who are sent in to school if the school has no gym, staff room, principals office etc as yours seems to be lacking?

How do you suggest we accommodate sick children who are sent in to school if the school has no gym, staff room, principals office etc as yours seems to be lacking?

I think you are doing a great with suggestions and lots of questions. So I think you can give them coats., and maybe a tent, maybe we could kick the principal out and let me see maybe we could weld some cars together to make a triage.

Hold on, we have sold the cars and got campervans. So weld campervans together for a giant triage.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

I think one of the biggest issues is that, despite the lengthy roadmap that was released, we still have no idea what's going to happen when we go back. I know that things are changing daily, but I personally haven't heard anything from my school, bar being forwarded a letter from the dept. I wouldn't fancy being principal right now, what a headache. They likely don't know what's going on either.

There really is no easy solution to this, unfortunately. Schools need major support from all stakeholders in order to be able to open. I must say that the (general) negative attitude towards teachers does not help the situation when it comes to understanding teachers' fears. There are many issues that we worry about but I know that the vast majority of teachers would feel a lot better about going back to school if concrete plans were put in place with regards to the many issues that were raised on this thread such as navigating situations where children are sent to school sick/become sick at school.

Wouldn't it be great if we could forward this thread to the Department of Education? Some very good points made all round to be fair! Some that I hadn't thought much about until I read this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

And then helicopter everyone around non stop to all the parish halls and pubs suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Let's say the schools open, what happens when an outbreak happens? What happens when multiple outbreaks happen?

• Advertisement

I think you are doing a great with suggestions and lots of questions. So I think you can give them coats., and maybe a tent, maybe we could kick the principal out and let me see maybe we could weld some cars together to make a triage.

Hold on, we have sold the cars and got campervans. So weld campervans together for a giant triage.

Theres a nixer paying 143 a day if you implement ideas. I'm not sure if your solutions would be ideal but you should bring them to your principal and tell him that's how your risk assessed the situation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.thejournal.ie/children-have-to-go-to-school-5164980-Aug2020/
    ALL STUDENTS ARE expected to return to school in the coming academic year as long as they are not themselves sick or at very high risk, the Department of Education has clarified, and are required not to miss more than 20 days off school.

This includes children whose parents or other relatives may be at risk, or who may be anxious about the Covid-19 pandemic.
    I guess a lot of families are going to have to withdraw their enrolment. My nephew missed more than 20 days last year before the schools shut down.

Also surely this policy will guarantee that kids end up going in to school sick.

s1ippy wrote: »

I guess a lot of families are going to have to withdraw their enrolment. My nephew missed more than 20 days last year before the schools shut down.

Also surely this policy will guarantee that kids end up going in to school sick.
    As we know most years nothing happens but I reckon it will be watched like a hawk this year to make a point.

Theres a nixer paying 143 a day if you implement ideas. I'm not sure if your solutions would be ideal but you should bring them to your principal and tell him that's how your risk assessed the situation

I will remember to tell him that you helped with the tent and the coat as you really care for me and my well being

JJayoo wrote: »
    Let's say the schools open, what happens when an outbreak happens? What happens when multiple outbreaks happen?

They close the class/school as appropriate in line with public health advice.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-schools-covid-19-transmission-5110842-May2020/

Although the first confirmed case of Covid-19 in Ireland occurred in a school-going child, the child had recently returned from northern Italy at the time they were found to have the virus.

Two other cases in children and three adult cases of Covid-19 with a history of school attendance in Ireland were also identified by the authors.

The study notes that epidemiological data for these cases indicated that none of these individuals contracted Covid-19 in a school setting.

“One case was travel related, while three cases were part of a single household outbreak, also linked to travel,” the authors write.

“One case was a close contact of a confirmed case in a recreational context, which was outside a school environment. One case was a contact of another case, and transmission occurred in a work environment.”

A total of 1,155 contacts of these six cases were identified in the study, including people exposed in classrooms, during sports lessons, music lessons and during choir practice for a religious ceremony, which involved a number of schools mixing in a church.

The authors said that of the 1,001 child contacts of these six cases, there were no confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Among 924 child contacts and 101 adult contacts identified in the school setting, there were also no confirmed cases of Covid-19.

“Prior to the nationwide closure of schools on 12 March, when a case was identified within a school, either all children and staff within the school or all children and staff involved with an individual case were excluded,” the authors said.

“This limited the potential for further transmission within the school setting once a case was identified.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I guess a lot of families are going to have to withdraw their enrolment.

There will be some terrified parents of incoming 6th years who won't even feel like they truly have this option as the threat of another year of potential predicted grading hangs over them. Awful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A tentative scan of the landscape on WhatsApp indicates to me that parents who had planned to play it safe mostly, and send them in when they're confident with schools plans are safe are, now reconsidering. Two groups I'm in are discussing it; smart individuals, people working in medicine, pharma, biotech.

My brother works for the HSE (consultant) and was reassigned from his usual work to do swabs, in the height of this in April. He moved out of home for two months to protect his family. He messaged this evening "There's no way we'll be putting [child] into an environment where people are under pressure to send their children, under threat of investigation by TÚSLA."

It's his son's first year of school but he's planning on withdrawing the enrolment application. Between himself and his wife they can manage the homeschooling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A tentative scan of the landscape on WhatsApp indicates to me that parents who had planned to play it safe mostly, and send them in when they're confident with schools plans are safe are, now reconsidering. Two groups I'm in are discussing it; smart individuals, people working in medicine, pharma, biotech.

My brother works for the HSE (consultant) and was reassigned from his usual work to do swabs, in the height of this in April. He moved out of home for two months to protect his family. He messaged this evening "There's no way we'll be putting [child] into an environment where people are under pressure to send their children, under threat of investigation by TÚSLA."

It's his son's first year of school but he's planning on withdrawing the enrolment application. Between himself and his wife they can manage the homeschooling this year.

Anecdotally I'm also hearing of parents of incoming younger JIs withdrawing enrollments for this coming year and holding off for a year. This is going to play havoc which will result in schools losing teachers for school year 21/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I can't speak for other schools but in mine we have the usual suspects who miss 20+ days every year without fail. Tusla does nothing about them - I imagine next year will be the same, especially as kids shouldn't be sent in with any Covid symptoms. There will be huge numbers missing 20+ days.

I hated seeing that headline earlier though, so cold and I'm sure it stirred up panic for many parents.
    Anecdotally I'm also hearing of parents of incoming younger JIs withdrawing enrollments for this coming year and holding off for a year. This is going to play havoc which will result in schools losing teachers for school year 21/22.

I think I'd do the same if I had a child due to start JI tbh. Though there is the argument that new starters are best placed to deal with the Covid changes, they know no different.

I can't speak for other schools but in mine we have the usual suspects who miss 20+ days every year without fail. Tusla does nothing about them - I imagine next year will be the same, especially as kids shouldn't be sent in with any Covid symptoms. There will be huge numbers missing 20+ days.

I hated seeing that headline earlier though, so cold and I'm sure it stirred up panic for many parents.

Yeah no humanity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My son is going into Jun Inf and 4 have withdrawn application. If you had a young child (born Jan - June) then they wouldn't have gotten their full year of preschool and this might sway an undecided parent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

They are better holding off if they can get another ecce year.
    My son is going into senior infants and I have heard of 2 kids in his year who’s parents have asked to repeat JI. They would be one of the youngest in the year as they didn’t take the second year of ecce. The school have said no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

This was posted by woollyRedHat in the main thread. Doesn't seem to have made its way here yet
    Deeply concerning

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/07/31/new-evidence-suggests-young-children-spread-covid-19-more-efficiently-than-adults/#79abfbc419fd

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Sister is a teacher was saying last night that if some infants are kept at home this year it will impact on teacher numbers. Local school lost a teacher for the incoming year. Gone from 4 mainstream classes to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I've seen kids miss 60/70/80 days in a school year and nothing has been done about it. I wouldnt be worrying of they are hitting the 20days mark. Especially if they are under 6.they could miss nearly every single day of school and I very much doubt they would still do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Sister is a teacher was saying last night that if some infants are kept at home this year it will impact on teacher numbers. Local school lost a teacher for the incoming year. Gone from 4 mainstream classes to 3.

Teacher allocation is based on previous year's student numbers. Their numbers won't be impacted by no shows this year. Even at that the no shows would still be registered as students of the school and count towards teacher allocation for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭grind gremlin

Millem wrote: »
    They are better holding off if they can get another ecce year.
    My son is going into senior infants and I have heard of 2 kids in his year who’s parents have asked to repeat JI. They would be one of the youngest in the year as they didn’t take the second year of ecce. The school have said no!

This happens a lot and it drives me mad. Every couple of years we have a parent enrolling a child that is not developmentally ready for school. Recommendations fall on deaf ears and the child struggles with the academic / social side of things.
    In some cases the child manages without difficulty but this is the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

You don't have to be a scientist to deduct that kuds would be super spreaders of this virus.
    Look at the way a common cold or flu spreads around a classroom like wildfire and you can see that plain as day!!
    Id one kid in my room get chickenpox, couldn't understand one morning when I came in and a whole group of 6 children were missing and everyone else was in. Later realised everyone sitting at his table also caught chickenpox.
    If one or 2 kids get covid in a class there is very little chance of stopping it spreading in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Very low risk of students and teachers transmitting Covid-19 at school, Australian study suggests:

https://www.thejournal.ie/effective-testing-tracing-schools-5166779-Aug2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

In relation to this, do we assume also that if one child in a family has potential covid 19 symptoms, all the children in the family should self isolate until a test comes back and is negative? That would seem the obvious thing to do but surely this will amount to absences of more than 20 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement