Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 VW Variant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

It sounds very good to me in the second last video you posted.

I mean for running with out the air filter.

It really is great to see it going again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

kadman wrote: »
    And finally

Video Number 5 really shows how we have this engine finally starting up on the button, whenever we flick the innovative Aircraft/Ignition flip switch.

Its like Tom Cruise flipping on the afterburner in Topgun:D:D:D:D

Just to mention too, that while were doing all this the heater was putting ferocious heat into the car.

So its another indication of how good this car really is. It was the hottest VW I have ever sat in.

Plan for tomorrow is,
    Fit a brand new needle valve into the R/H carb.
    New manifold/carb gaskets.
    Run the car for longer to dislodge any muck from the engine oilways.
    Do an oil filter clean, and new oil change.

Now thats it on the button, have to look into driving it around the house for starters,
    in order to check the clutch and gearbox. Then maybe renew all the brake components.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    It sounds very good to me in the second last video you posted.

I mean for running with out the air filter.

It really is great to see it going again.[/QUOT

You are right, it sounds better than the engine in my own fastback, and it will get better too.:)

Once the bits and bobs are done the air filter is getting cleaned, and refilled with new oil, and going back on. Dont want any crap going down the carbs.

Very last smokey vid on post 118 IIRC, was for Alphas benefit:p to show him how we persevered to get this baby running.

But it was worth it on so many fronts:)

alfa beta wrote: »
    'Volkswagen Leasing' is listed in the logbook prior to my Dad's name. They owned it for one year in 1967 I think. No other owners then apart from the ould fella (!!) and now Kadman himself :-)

So its gone from one ould fella, to another ould fella.:)

I will look after it as well as the first ould fella,;) trust me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Hey Alpha, I told you we would get it going:D:D:cool:

I didn't doubt you .... but you got there much quicker than I expected ... I would have thought you'd have had to buy/order/install a raft of new bits and pieces so it's amazing to see it running so soon. This certainly bodes well for the other engines that have been sitting idle in that shed :-)

I'm away at the moment but I can't wait to get back and show these videos to my mum - she'll be amazed :)

alfa beta wrote: »
    I didn't doubt you .... but you got there much quicker than I expected ... I would have thought you'd have had to buy/order/install a raft of new bits and pieces so it's amazing to see it running so soon. This certainly bodes well for the other engines that have been sitting idle in that shed :-)

I'm away at the moment but I can't wait to get back and show these videos to my mum - she'll be amazed :)

I would have no doubt that any of the engines in that shed could be got going with the same effort,
    In the right hands of course:P:P:P

So if you need homes for anymore, let me know:D

I'm sure the sound of the variant alone will resonate happy memories with your mum:)

There were no raft of pieces to buy for this engine. I had new plugs, needle valve , gaskets anyway. And we knew the starting process would be tough on an old starter, thats why I opted for a new one, and it paid for itself in minutes.

The day I checked for compression, and got some, I knew that we were on a winner. If there is compression it tells a lot about condition of the parts. Either in an aircooled or water cooled engine. Once you get that, you only have to add fuel and a source of ignition, the rest is physics.

So when you want a donation for the next non runner, let me know:D

In the end it was an easy fix, if you know these engines, tougher if you dont.
    But i did see some evidence on the car of previous attempts in the right direction. So I suspect your dad was engine savvy too. But the ignition aircraft switches are class, and I am leaving them in..
    Tell your mum this journey is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

Just to add my admiration to kadman & his brothers work on the Variants revival.
    I've owned a couple of old & young timers, and have an understanding of how an ICE works but I kneel before ye lads, your knowledge & passion. Keep her lit!
    Alfa Beta's original thread has been a joy to follow - the sequel is every bit enthralling.

tc20 wrote: »
    Just to add my admiration to kadman & his brothers work on the Variants revival.
    I've owned a couple of old & young timers, and have an understanding of how an ICE works but I kneel before ye lads, your knowledge & passion. Keep her lit!
    Alfa Beta's original thread has been a joy to follow - the sequel is every bit enthralling.

Ah sure you couldn't let this ould girl in the shed for another 50 years:)

Sure we wouldn't be around to fix it:P

AS the engine was running for a while it is good practice to change the oil
    if the engine has been lying up for a while. And 50 years is a while:D

So the VwW oil filter is conveniently placed here for easy access.
    As you will see, its a filter/strainer system thats easily cleanable
    and re useable. No need to be buying new filters at all.

So remove the centre plug to drain the oil, then remove the 6 captive nuts,
    remove the plate, then the strainer.

k2RyU9x.jpg

Plate off and you can see the strainer here in place.

AFsSqAW.jpg

Strainer off and you can see the oil pickup pipe in
    the engine casing.

EIJDJ6Z.jpg

Here you caan see both the plate and the strainer. And
    both these items are very clean for an old engine.

uRUryer.jpg

Once you have them all cleaned up, its just fit a new gasket if needed,
    replace the strainer, and then the plate, and new washers.
    New washers and correct torque make sure that the nuts are not over tightened, pulling the studs out of the case.

0bkN4Yy.jpg

All done,

dTUi05O.jpg

• Advertisement

And i decided to replace the needle inlet valve on the right hand carburetor.

On close inspection I noticed some corrosion at the seating on the inside of the carburetor cover,
    where the needle valve is fitted. This corrosion prevents the valve crush washer from correctly seating,
    so this can allow the fuel to squeeze by the valve under pressure. And this was clearly happening when the
    engine was under increased acceleration.,,

We3ACsV.jpg

So the solution was to clean the seat for the valve, and refit a new valve.

KIGEfWC.jpg

You can see the valves in the picture. New one on the left, and old one on the right.

I also inspected the electro magnetic jet more closely. It is a piston operated valve
    with 3 equally spaced holes at the end. Petrol flows through the valve holes, and out the
    end jet. Problem was the jet was over tightened, which is a regular occurrence on old
    vw engines. Apart from damaging the valve, it can damage the seat in the carb. If this
    happens the carb is then scrap. Luckily the damage is to the jet, as the holes have been forced oval
    but not fully closed. So I fitted a non electric jet here

Here you can see the damaged jet.

rTGGUkS.jpg

All these minor issues collectively effect the proper running of this engine. So only real option is to
    take out the engine. Strip it down to a short block, and then inspect the heads to check for
    proper valve seating which i suspect are leaking. Then re lap them, fit new seals everywhere, and rebuild
    the engine. This wont take long at all.
    And while I am at it, i can get all the tin work powder coated, fit a new clutch , starter bush,
    and a new exhaust which I have 2 of NOS.

Looks like a nice winter project in a nice warm shed:)

But not just yet, I will wait to see if the compression comes up more. I checked cylinder number 2 and since the first test before it ran it has come up 25lb pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

I wished they had that strainer centre drain plug in my last 77 beetle as it did/does make for a far easier drain, it probably encouraged just draining the oil without cleaning the strainer, it would also be interesting to compare the fine filtering properties of these strainers to the now universal full flow paper elements. I think the key to all those air cooled engines longevity or otherwise was to change the oil regularly as it ran very hot despite the oil cooler, friend of mine had a 67, 1300 beetle (Pict 1 carburettor, i think) for 16 years and I could almost swear that the engine was as new after ~ 170k miles but he changed the oil every 1200/1500 miles.

I am fairly sure that the engine does not need splitting at the crank case
    for inspection in the short term. As there has been no evidence at the moment
    of any issue with oil pressure. Oil light goes out immediately, and stays out for about
    5-10 seconds after the key is turned of after the engine running and hot.

All this points to adequate oil pressure at the moment. And these engines are easily
    taken out and rebuilt in a short space of time. So engine rebuilds dont worry me.
    This was the oil taken out of the engine, so it appears to have been well maintained.

8ot1WiF.jpg

John.G wrote: »
    I wished they had that strainer centre drain plug in my last 77 beetle as it did/does make for a far easier drain, it probably encouraged just draining the oil without cleaning the strainer, it would also be interesting to compare the fine filtering properties of these strainers to the now universal full flow paper elements. I think the key to all those air cooled engines longevity or otherwise was to change the oil regularly as it ran very hot despite the oil cooler, friend of mine had a 67, 1300 beetle (Pict 1 carburettor, i think) for 16 years and I could almost swear that the engine was as new after ~ 170k miles but he changed the oil every 1200/1500 miles.

I think you are right, frequent oil changes is the key, and the proper oil of course. The change in the centre oil plug was a killer right enough.

Any engine we had that did not have one, we stripped the plate of an old engine and switched it. Centre plug was easier and less messy.

Vw pancake engine that is fitted to this variant is quickly removed if u need
    to do any work on it.
    Its the same as this engine in the video, that seems great, but I decided to strip it down anyway,
    as I wanted to fit a set of rings, now that I had it out, even tho it did not need it them.
    Just see how clear the exhaust is.
    But glad i did as I found a loose stud on the case, so I had to fit a case saver on one stud in order
    to torque the head.

Its now in my own Vw fastback

This is what I had to do on the case,

5mxXWir.jpg

bFDLq6C.jpg

And wind in the case saver

eDycNYl.jpg

case saver in

do7Q7QA.jpg

Torque in the stud

b7grJK4.jpg

I spent 30 minutes on the car today.

I removed the left hand carb and fitted a new inlet needle valve
    on the fuel inlet. I fitted a new gasket to the inlet manifold that connects to the carb.

Checked all the jets to make sure they were the correct type, which they were.

Refitted the carb and started the engine. I then adjusted the distributor ignition timing
    with the engine running, and to adjust by ear of the engine note.

I took a chance with this car that based on its condition when I saw it, that I could get this
    engine running.

Its turned out that it appears to be a brilliant engine. Starting great, and running well, very responsive to the
    accelerator pedal. Its a brilliant result.

And now this is what I have

I now intend to get the brake sorted on the rear wheel, and drive it out of the
    shed:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,911 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If you were to summarize, clean it up, rebuild the carburetors and the starter and you had it running? Impressive, being in a barn really didn't destroy that car!

Maybe check the engine and gearbox mounts while you have the engine out.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Maybe check the engine and gearbox mounts while you have the engine out.

Checked them day 2 when it was on the lift.:)

Like all the rubber items on the car they are firm but supple and not dried or cracked. The only rubber that suffered harm are some of the window seals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I remember nearly 40 years ago my elderly mechanic who was almost deaf used to adjust\tune my engine by feel. He would leave his hand on the rocker cover as he adjusted & could tell when he had it right. He could even tell if the tappets needed adjusting by leaving his hand on the running engine.

I sure miss the passion & friendliness of that man. God Bless him.

Kadman, you have that passion too. I'd dearly love to have you as my mechanic for sure.

They might not make cars like they used to, but, they certainly don't make craftsmen like you anymore either.

My current wagon was recalled a couple of weeks ago, something to do with a relay module & fuses that were in a sealed box, on some cars moisture was getting into the unit & causing a fire. When the work was done I asked the mechanic (Technician I think they call them now) what role the part change played in the car, what did it actually do or control, he just looked at me and said, I have no idea, we are just trained to change the parts I have no idea what it actually does!!!

Different times…

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

That sounds great - fair play to you Kadman and thanks for the videos :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Just think......

If alfa beta's dad had a mechanic like kadman in the first place. AB might never have been born.

Just think......

If alfa beta's dad had a mechanic like kadman in the first place. AB might never have been born.

I hope Alfa takes that as a laugh, like he was conceived in the back of the square back. :D me

Alfa works our that the time the car was parked up .,......

Update.
    I managed to get the car driving out of the shed. And I wanted it moving, to check all gears, which you can see me trying in the vid.

Its all good, gearstick selector plate needs a small bit of adjusting thats all..

So we are getting nearer to liftoff.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

is anybody else getting no sound on the video?

I had a problem with the video sound, so I will have to make a better, longer vid:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I had a problem with the video sound, so I will have to make a better, longer vid:)

And there was me thinking, Holy moly, he's converted it to electric overnight! :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I remember nearly 40 years ago my elderly mechanic who was almost deaf used to adjust\tune my engine by feel. He would leave his hand on the rocker cover as he adjusted & could tell when he had it right. He could even tell if the tappets needed adjusting by leaving his hand on the running engine.

I sure miss the passion & friendliness of that man. God Bless him.

Kadman, you have that passion too. I'd dearly love to have you as my mechanic for sure.

They might not make cars like they used to, but, they certainly don't make craftsmen like you anymore either.

My current wagon was recalled a couple of weeks ago, something to do with a relay module & fuses that were in a sealed box, on some cars moisture was getting into the unit & causing a fire. When the work was done I asked the mechanic (Technician I think they call them now) what role the part change played in the car, what did it actually do or control, he just looked at me and said, I have no idea, we are just trained to change the parts I have no idea what it actually does!!!

Different times…

Yep typical answer. But its not their fault.
    They pinpoint the fault with the laptop....if they can.

Then fek out everything they think it could be. Throw in lots of new tech you dont need, but will have to pay for.

I call them laptop mechanics, not real ones..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Well done ,Kadman and your brother :),
    Delighted to see this car back running and moving about on its own steam.
    Great Thread , keep up the good work.

davycha

Advertisement