Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Fridge/Freezer Issues

• 02-08-2020 2:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on an issue I'm having with my Samsung Fridge/ Freezer (RB31F model).

In an nutshell, the freezer is working perfectly but the fridge isn't cooling correctly. It's set to 3C but failing to reach that temperature. The top shelf of the fridge isn't really cold whatsoever. If I change the temperature to 1C there is no change whatsoever.

The compressor appears to be running as normal. I can see that there is a small amount of water dripping into the drain pan when it is in the defrost cycle.

The fridge is 5 years old. I'm waiting for Samsung to get back to me regarding the warranty before they will arrange a service call out. I've been told that could take over a week, so I'm wondering if there's any suggestions in the meantime or as to what I should expect the repair cost to be?

This issue started occurring after a power outage lasting approximately two hours. That was two weeks ago and the problem has persisted then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Your f/f has the symptoms of many frost free units, they become clogged up with ice often due to one of the doors not being fully shut for a period of time or a faulty defrost system.(many factors) simplest thing to try is unplug the cabinet and let it defrost manually, this could take up to 48 hours depending on how much ice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Your f/f has the symptoms of many frost free units, they become clogged up with ice often due to one of the doors not being fully shut for a period of time or a faulty defrost system.(many factors) simplest thing to try is unplug the cabinet and let it defrost manually, this could take up to 48 hours depending on how much ice

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go and will report back.

Could a three hour power outage cause what you are describing, in your view?

Also, should I expect much water accumulation when doing a manual defrost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Most likely it's a blocked condensation drain at the far back of the inside of the fridge. There is often a little green plunger which you can pull out to clean it. Also you may have a faulty door seal which is letting warm and moist air into the fridge which could be adding to the problem.

Remove the trays and storage containers and locate and clear out the drain hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nickkohl

I have the same samsung fridge and ever since I got it a year ago it does not want to cool to the 35 deg I set it to. The fridge says its at 35 deg but I put an thermometer inside and it stays at 39-41 deg. I had a Samsung call out a tec 6 months ago and he replaced the board and the panel inside the fridge with the fan on it. it worked for a while and the thermometer was going from 34 deg to 40 deg. now Im out of the samsung 1 year warranty but I have a best buy warranty. I was wondering if you had any insite on this issue. Oh and I looked at the door seals and I didnt see anything like gaps. This resource is pretty helpful https://www.applianceproblem.com/samsung/refrigerators/ .

The freezer works fine.

Post edited by nickkohl on

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ursus articus

Hi All,

Sorry to Hijack this thread... I have a Samsung RH69B8931B1/EU purchased new 4 weeks ago.

My house is difficult to access.... Georgian house kitchen in basement... this meant that there was an ordeal and equipment needed to get the brand new fridge freezer into place.

Once in place we let it stand over night and it worked perfectly fine.

The next day we stocked the freezer and since then its stopped working (it wasn't exactly filled no vents blocked or anything about 40% capacity) as the temperature rose again I removed everything from the freezer... it continued to rise in temperature all the way to 15degC where it remains.

The fridge section works perfectly. The Freezer worked for 2 days until we opened the door and added stock to it then it stopped cooling immediately.

Samsung have refused to repair the Fridge and have only offered a replacement... but say that I will have to bear the cost of the replacements installation... obviously this is in contravention with the law.

Long story short it looks like we are going to get a refund and I will need to repair the issue myself.

I'm looking for a service manual for the unit or better still an expert that can repair it.... can anyone help?

• Advertisement
Advertisement